ADVERTISEMENT

RIP ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill

dusty_rhodes_sg_img.png

Saw them in Houston a handful of years ago. Never a huge fan but thought it might be a good show. I was wrong. About 4 songs in, I felt like I'd been listening to the same song 4 times so I left.

Sad to see Dusty go, though. Seems like the members of ZZ Top are/were pretty good people. Just never saw the appeal of their music.

Reactions: Dennys_Cough
Joey Jordinson yesterday, Dusty Hill today. Rock community getting hit hard. RIP

Saw ZZ Top back in 1979 at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati. The loudest concert I’ve ever attended. I’ve never seen so many speakers on one stage. Every bass note made my rib cage shake. Ears rang for three days after. But DAMN, they were fantastic. Of course this was before they started recording poppy top 40 radio and MTV hits.

Dusty Hill gone, but never forgotten!

-there is a documentary on Netflix about ZZ top that any music fan should watch.

-was as guilty as anyone in associating the band with only their 80's work and writing them off...their early stuff is incredible. A very important band. Billy Gibbons is a tone god.
Their early material kicked ass. The “Afterburner” album was the turning point beyond which they went into a slow, steady, and irreversible decline.

The only thing I have is a bit of trivia I liked. Two of the band members had beards and the one who didn't had the last name of Beard. I always thought that was a bit ironic.

Saw them in '74 before they had beards, saw again in Atlanta playing with John Forgerty a few years back then saw them in Corbin last Sunday night. Dusty had left the Tour a few days before the Corbin show with his hip problems and was replaced by his Bass tech Elwood Francis. Was so shocked hearing about Dusty's sudden death.

Saw them in Houston a handful of years ago. Never a huge fan but thought it might be a good show. I was wrong. About 4 songs in, I felt like I'd been listening to the same song 4 times so I left.

Sad to see Dusty go, though. Seems like the members of ZZ Top are/were pretty good people. Just never saw the appeal of their music.
Same. I respect what they did but I'm over listening to their songs. Sad to see another rock and roll legend gone.

Damn. I'm really glad I got to see them two years ago, 50 year anniversary tour and still rocked.

ADVERTISEMENT