ADVERTISEMENT

RIP, Gregg Allman!

They're dropping like flies.

Gregg Allman, Southern Rock Pioneer, Dies at 69

gregg-allman-cher-1970s-photo.jpg

Was he the cool Allman or the one that tried too hard?

There needs to be a macho all male black rap group called the All Man Bruthas.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Really disappointed I never got to see him perform. I saw Dickey and his band a few years ago and Warren with the guys from the Grateful Dead several times but never Gregg, and he was always on my bucket list.

He was constantly canceling and postponing shows due to health issues, but when he shit-canned his entire tour earlier this year for all of 2017 I figured it was bad news. Not many ABB members left now, sadly.

This is a big one. RIP.

Reactions: UK82
Really disappointed I never got to see him perform. I saw Dickey and his band a few years ago and Warren with the guys from the Grateful Dead several times but never Gregg, and he was always on my bucket list.

He was constantly canceling and postponing shows due to health issues, but when he shit-canned his entire tour earlier this year for all of 2017 I figured it was bad news. Not many ABB members left now, sadly.

This is a big one. RIP.
Horrible year for ABB fans. Butch Trucks suicide and now this. I was fortunate to see them twice in concert. Derby Eve Jam was one of them.

Reactions: The_Catfather
:joy: Damn..this one stings Big Time..The greatest white blues voice in the history of music has been has been silenced. I first heard the Allman Brothers in 1970 when I was 13 years old and I never stopped listening to and loving their music. They are without question one of my all time favorite bands. Now 4 of the original members have passed. Greg, Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks and now Gregg. I saw the Allman's many, many times through the years. I saw Gregg with his band 2 years ago at the Iroquois Amp. in Louisville and he sounded as good as he did in his early years..His solo albums..Low Country Blues and Back to Macon Ga are both really good. Of course his album Laid Back is a classic in my opinion. The Back to Macon Ga has a live DVD..I will be watching that again and again in the upcoming days..I type this with a tear my eye and lump in my throat.

RIP Gregg, you deserve to rest after all of the incredible music you gave the world. The Midnight Rider may be gone, be he will never be forgotten..at least by this long time fan..:joy:

A lot more legends will be gone in the next 5-10 years. I've made it a point to see them as many times as I can before they either fully retire or die. I'll be seeing Roger Waters for the fourth time tomorrow and Bobby Weir two more times this summer, which will put me well over 50 shows with him. Hopefully he's got more years ahead of him. I'll be devastated when he checks out.

Reactions: JDHoss

I used to have a great bootleg of the GD with members of the Allman brothers from RFK stadium in the early 70's. Of course, I have zero tapes these days, wish I could give that one a listen again.

I saw the allmans a couple of times in the last decade. Riverbend and Deer Creek. Both were great shows.

He shot his foot to get out of service. Duane organized it and called it a foot-shootin' party.

This was always one of my favorite Allman Brothers stories. Duane gave Gregg a pair of moccasins with a target painted on top one of them. They began drinking and getting high, hoping Gregg would get less scared of shooting his own foot. But that didn't work. Finally Gregg insisted that they call an ambulance first, and he didn't pull the trigger until he could hear the sirens coming. The ER doc was none too impressed with this obvious self-inflicted wound, and basically wrapped a bandage around it and gave him an aspirin.

It worked as planned though. Gregg showed up the very next day, as scheduled, for his induction processing. With his foot bandaged, and being able to walk only with the aide of crutches, he was excused from service.

Then there's the story of the "At Filmore East" album cover photo.

The photographer could not get the boys to smile for the shot. They were all cold, tired, and hung over from partying the night before. The best shot looked like this...

902af25ccd4636ef8e0bbb0394090b31.jpg

Just as the photographer stops to load a new roll of film, Duane's drug connection shows up with some cocaine. Duane gets up, scores enough coke for the band to party with later, returns to his place in the photo setup, and kept the coke hidden under his hands in his lap. The photographer didn't know what had happened, but the band thought it was funny as hell. The resulting photo is, of course, a classic.

51uGYVbg-2L._QL70_.jpg

This was always one of my favorite Allman Brothers stories. Duane gave Gregg a pair of moccasins with a target painted on top one of them. They began drinking and getting high, hoping Gregg would get less scared of shooting his own foot. But that didn't work. Finally Gregg insisted that they call an ambulance first, and he didn't pull the trigger until he could hear the sirens coming. The ER doc was none too impressed with this obvious self-inflicted wound, and basically wrapped a bandage around it and gave him an aspirin.

It worked as planned though. Gregg showed up the very next day, as scheduled, for his induction processing. With his foot bandaged, and being able to walk only with the aide of crutches, he was excused from service.
That's a touching Memorial Day story. I can see why he's the only death in Paddock history with no mock posts.

I always enjoyed his work in the Lord of the Rings movies.

I have over 50 live ABB boots on CD (got them from a guy in Germany, of all places).

His voice stayed consistent over all those years and gigs, which is amazing given his "habits".

I saw them every year when they came thru Riverbend in Cincy in the 90's.

Agree with the above poster: the greatest white blues voice ever.

I used to have a great bootleg of the GD with members of the Allman brothers from RFK stadium in the early 70's. Of course, I have zero tapes these days, wish I could give that one a listen again.

That one's on Archive.org. 73's one of my favorite Dead years.

Edit: It's not linking right. But it's easy to find with a Google search on Archive.

Allman_Brothers_gatefold_1969.jpg

I always thought it would be funny if there were a downstream photo of filthy polluted water behind these less-than-clean looking individuals.

Once again...ABB #1 American rock band.

ADVERTISEMENT