ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky P snitching on Langford??

I mean look at the list here:

resurrects us from probation.
wins a title, gives us the best team in our history
takes us to another title game
builds the foundation for our 7th title.
makes the Boston Celtics bad
stops Duke from winning a title
gets that title vacated
provides us with a decade of hilarity and embarrassing scandals
puts Louisville on probation

If you add Indiana's continued demise and embarrassment to that list, Rick Pitino needs a statue in Lexington. Just make sure it's turned around so he can continue looking the other way.

And on this note, if Rick ****ing Pitino's inability to stay out of public light leads to Indiana's downfall again, I'd shake his hand (after a shot of penicillin) and give him a standing ovation when his egotistical hubris would inevitably lead to his return to Rupp.

Reactions: Fox2monk and MWes11
While I would love for that to be true, I think we should maybe take anything that comes out of Rick’s mouth with a grain of salt

Reactions: JohnBlue_
pot-kettle-black.jpg

Reactions: BassProCat
I mean look at the list here:

resurrects us from probation.
wins a title, gives us the best team in our history
takes us to another title game
builds the foundation for our 7th title.
makes the Boston Celtics bad
stops Duke from winning a title
gets that title vacated
provides us with a decade of hilarity and embarrassing scandals
puts Louisville on probation

If you add Indiana's continued demise and embarrassment to that list, Rick Pitino needs a statue in Lexington. Just make sure it's turned around so he can continue looking the other way.

I agree with this. Folks on here continue to hate on Pitino like crazy but in reality, he continues to help our program in a very bizarre kind of ways.

I said it then and I’ll say it now, Langford’s dad looked shady as s*^t when soon as Langford committed, he held up that adidas logo on a sock behind his head for about 20-30 seconds. That was when the cameras would all be on him and would be the clip shown when people showed this commitment and he knew it. He held that sock up and I guarantee adidas paid him for that endorsement as well.

Not sure how to take the part below. Is he trying to imply that we would bid higher or just that it was a higher profile program....

In the article Pitino later mentions Kentucky.

“(Adidas) knew that Nike and Under Armour were going to make a run for him,” Pitino said. “I didn’t want him going to Nike or Under Armour .?.?. because then, he would’ve gone to Kentucky or somewhere else. .?.?. I would’ve had no chance.”

As usual, Cal stays away from potential problems.

Yep. And it’s not a coincidence that almost every single time we wonder why a kid isn’t being recruited by cal, this happens. Talent wise, there was no reason for Cal not to recruit the kid so you knew something had to be up. Same with many others. I’d be willing to bet the basset kid out of the new private school in Louisville has some shadyness too otherwise cal and Kenny Payne would be there every week.

Is there anything different between this and what happened with Marvin Bagley and his family? If this is legal then how did Reynardo Sidney lose eligibility? This all seems like a loophole that doesn't really exist.

Duke has here there own written handbook for rules. NCAA’s doesn’t apply to them.

Not sure how to take the part below. Is he trying to imply that we would bid higher or just that it was a higher profile program....

“(Adidas) knew that Nike and Under Armour were going to make a run for him,” Pitino said. “I didn’t want him going to Nike or Under Armour .?.?. because then, he would’ve gone to Kentucky or somewhere else. .?.?. I would’ve had no chance.”
I was curious about that quote too. I really think it's just typical Pitino, he always has to mention UK in some form.

I said it then and I’ll say it now, Langford’s dad looked shady as s*^t when soon as Langford committed, he held up that adidas logo on a sock behind his head for about 20-30 seconds. That was when the cameras would all be on him and would be the clip shown when people showed this commitment and he knew it. He held that sock up and I guarantee adidas paid him for that endorsement as well.

Exactly. He wasn't holding up that Adidas symbol because he thinks their shoes are comfortable. Anyone who doesn't think his dad was paid by Adidas has their head in the sand.

He's saying if the shoe company bidding war ended with Nike paying the most, he would have gone to a high profile Nike school.

With Kentucky being so close to home and location clearly playing a factor, we'd have likely been the choice if he were bought and paid for by Nike.

Is there anything different between this and what happened with Marvin Bagley and his family? If this is legal then how did Reynardo Sidney lose eligibility? This all seems like a loophole that doesn't really exist.
You may have seen this part in the Post's story, others may not have:

"The NCAA has issued seemingly contradictory rulings over the years when confronted with relationships between players’ parents and shoe company-sponsored youth teams.

This past season, the NCAA found no problems with the relationship between Nike and Marvin Bagley Jr., father of likely NBA lottery pick Marvin Bagley III. When Bagley III was 16, and establishing himself as one of the top prospects in the country, Nike agreed to sponsor his youth team, coached and managed by Bagley’s father. In 2016, Bagley Jr. acknowledged in an interview with Sports Illustrated that the Nike sponsorship was the family’s main source of income. This past school year, Bagley III played his only college season at Duke, a Nike-sponsored school, and he is widely expected to sign an endorsement deal with the company.

In 2010, however, the NCAA suspended Renardo Sidney, a Mississippi State player, in part because his father couldn’t properly account for money spent from a Reebok-sponsored foundation connected to his youth team.

The NCAA declined a request to clarify its rules pertaining to shoe company money and summer league teams run by parents of top recruits."

They’re not going to give you a definitive answer, because they don’t have one. There’s no difference, fundamentally, between what Renardo Sidney was suspended over . . . and what happened with Bagley,” said Don Jackson, the Alabama attorney who represented Sidney.

It must suck to have a dad that will pimp you out at any opportunity.

The thing is, that’s all kinds of these players today...parents trying to live thru their kids, giving them bad advice so the players will make the family money

It must suck to have a dad that will pimp you out at any opportunity.

Yep. And i understand parents get taken care of when kids get rich and play pro sports, but it’s kind of sickening to see so many parents use their kid and expects payout too. They should be happy their kid is successful rather than look at their kid as their way to get rich. It’s kind of sickening but is obviously the world we live in.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
ADVERTISEMENT