ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino passed a lie detector test.

Catswin9

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2015
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...test-denied-bribing-prospect-his-lawyer-said/
Rick%20Pitino_1506466859700_11245482_ver1.0.jpg

Reactions: Saven
And the test had two very carefully crafted questions. He probably did not "participate" in the actual payment, and he probably did not know as of Sept. 26 whether a payment had occurred. Why did he not answer whether he had any knowledge of possible payments to Bowen? I think I know why.

Actually what happened was he broke up a lie detector into little pieces and ate it so he could poop it out. Then he could say “I passed a lie detector” without lying.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
That is why they are not allowed as evidence in court. A sociopath or someone who has convinced himself that he is not at fault can beat them. Plus the questions answered were very narrow. The meaning of the word IS comes to mind.

True story.

When I was around 21 I applied for a night position at a prison in west tn. A few questions came up.

1. Have you ever smoked marijuana more than 2 times.

2. Have you ever quit a job without giving notice.

Answered no to both, passed with flying colors. Problem was I was lying my ass off.

And that test was administered by the state, his was set up by his lawyer. A "former" FBI agent is not the FBI.

Who actually gave the test,would love to know.

I wonder if people really understand how a lie detector test works?
It can’t really tell if what you say is a lie. What it does is measure vitals (heart rate, respiration, etc). For normal people, spikes in these measurements can indicate nervousness, which, in turn, could suggest the subject is lying.
For someone who doesn’t react that way...ie a pathological liar...a polygraph shows nothing.
That is why they’re generally inadmissible in a court of law.

I've had 3 polygraphs in my life, while I was in the AF. I passed all of them and was not lying, so I am not here to say I beat them or anything. But I do know people who did lie on them and passed. But these tests are actually skewed to catch people with a guilty conscience more than unrepentent liars. I would have questions that I answered no to, but it was a gray area where I was worried about certain things that could conceivably be inaccurate. The machine, and the administrator sees that as evasive, and they probe deeper. If someone does not have a quilty conscience though, they can easily beat the test. Also, there are physical things you can do to get a false pass. In fact, I was asked if I had done any of these things in order to pass. And they are not "lie detector" tests, and are not admissible in court, because of these things I mentioned.

http://www.aisinvestigate.com/credentials.html
http://www.aisinvestigate.com/credentials.html
carl.gif

Carl Christiansen brings with him 25 years of FBI experience as well as an accounting degree from the University of Missouri and an MBA from St. Louis University. He worked in the private sector for General Motors and May Department Stores. As an FBI Agent he devoted his investigative years primarily to white collar crime, focusing on the pharmaceutical and brokerage industries. He served in the Atlanta, Chicago and Louisville field offices as well as FBI Headquarters. Carl served as an Assistant Special Agent in Charge, conducted overseas training and is a Federal mediator. He is also a licensed polygraph examiner who has conducted hundreds of exams around the world. Carl's Kentucky Polygrapher's License can be viewed by clicking here.

Carl Christiansen
Private Examiner
Simpsonville, KY
Phone: (502) 722-1931
ais@insightbb.com

Now Ive been removed from Kentucky for a long time but isnt Simpsonville a stones throw away from the "other 'Ville?" (23 miles). I'm sure the polygrapher was TOTALLY objective in the "test" and his "findings." [roll][roll]

Last edited:
I'm sure he knew ahead of time, before taking the test what the questions were going to be and to say no to both.

True story.

When I was around 21 I applied for a night position at a prison in west tn. A few questions came up.

Answered no to both, passed with flying colors. Problem was I was lying my ass off.

And that test was administered by the state, his was set up by his lawyer. A "former" FBI agent is not the FBI.
Yep. And that's why polygraphs are not permissible in a court of law. Because, despite what the media would like you to think, it's not a "lie detector." The guy who invented the polygraph even said it wasn't a lie detector.

All the polygraph does is compare your pulse rate when answering one of their "base questions" to your pulse when answering "test questions."

So, if you think of something thrilling or scary during the base questions while biting your tongue it will raise your pulse. Then when answering the test questions you think of relaxing thoughts and stop biting your tongue, your pulse will lower and the polygraph will pass you, regardless of if you're lying or not.

Reactions: morgousky
True story.

Lie detector tests aren't what most people think they are. They don't read your thoughts and the test of course never knows the real answer. It just detects rises in heart rate and blood pressure. The examiner will ask you several questions that they know you are telling the truth and several that you would likely lie on. These are used as control readings during the test. Then when they ask the real questions they compare your response readings and how they compare to the control questions. If you want to beat a lie detector test you simply need to change your breathing rate and heart rate as much as possible during the control questions so when you lie it doesn't rate the same way. At any rate they are subjective and depend heavily on the quality of the control questioning and the skill level of the examiner. Someone working for an HR department will likely get beat every time if you try. Mean while take the same exam for the CIA and they will likely know you are trying to cheat and put a stop to it quickly. I've taken lie detector exams for the government and they will see that you are playing games and get you off that game you're playing really quick.

Reactions: morgousky
I wonder if people really understand how a lie detector test works?
It can’t really tell if what you say is a lie. What it does is measure vitals (heart rate, respiration, etc). For normal people, spikes in these measurements can indicate nervousness, which, in turn, could suggest the subject is lying.
For someone who doesn’t react that way...ie a pathological liar...a polygraph shows nothing.
That is why they’re generally inadmissible in a court of law.
This is another important point. It won't work if the subject believes he is telling the truth. As we have all seen Pitino is delusional and probably has convinced himself of his own lies.

Reactions: Bkocats
ADVERTISEMENT