ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Bozich: What happened to Rick Pitino? "Kentucky happened"

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
heh. This leaves a nice mark. Kentucky happened. Being the head coach at Kentucky is what made him, and trying to keep up with Kentucky is what ruined him.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36604431/bozich-for-rick-pitino-harsh-end-to-hall-of-fame-career

"How could the only guy to win national championships at two programs exit with a pink slip seconds after his 65th birthday?

What happened?

After three decades of covering Pitino, if you asked me to narrow it to two words, I would select these two:

Kentucky happened.

Kentucky happened because during his eight seasons in Lexington Pitino was wildly adored for the 1996 title, three Final Fours, 17-1 SEC Tournament record, complete dominance of Louisville and a captivating, three-point-shot style of play that transformed Pitino into the biggest sports personality in the state.

Kentucky happened because Pitino gave up the adulation in Lexington to show his critics that he could achieve similar dominance in the NBA.

Kentucky happened because Pitino whiffed with the Boston Celtics but was pushed out in time to take over at Louisville, which was about to replace Denny Crum.

Kentucky happened because Pitino was loved in Louisville (by most), reviled in Lexington (by many) and micro-analyzed across college basketball (by everybody). Could he succeed in a situation most sensible coaches would avoid?

Kentucky happened because halfway through Pitino’s 16-year run in Louisville, John Calipari rolled into Lexington. You started to hear the whispers that Cal was eager to bloody Pitino’s nose. The two had a history.

Kentucky happened because Calipari recruited better players, went to more Final Fours and beat Pitino head-to-head over and over and over.

Did the competitive rush to keep up with Kentucky lead to a member of Pitino’s staff organizing the stripper and prostitution scandal that knocked U of L out of the 2016 NCAA Tournament, the possible vacating of the 2013 NCAA title and an embarrassing probation?

Did the drive to run with Kentucky inspire another member of Pitino’s staff to get dragged into this federal investigation? The Brian Bowen recruitment smelled too good to be true. The federal government appears to be making the case that five-star recruits don’t show up in early June without special incentives.

Until a sharper, on-the-record version of both events develops, the Kentucky Happened explanation works for me."

Rick couldn't handle the fact that the entire state didn't adore him any more. Cal coming to Kentucky was the straw that broke the camels back. He could somewhat compete against Tubby and was head and shoulders above Gillespie. With Cal, he fell behind and got further and further behind.

He couldn't out recruit Cal, he couldn't beat Cal head to head and while Cal's star grew brighter and brighter, his started to fade fast. His enormous ego couldn't handle it. No longer was he beloved In this state. In fact, he became reviled.

Pitino realized that he made the big mistake of his life by leaving Kentucky and thought that he could fix things by coming back to the state as the Cardinals coach. Little did he know that UK fans hold grudges for a long time. We don't forget and we don't forgive.

I'm not a UK fan and not familiar with the timeline of Pitino hatred.

When/What was it that made UK fans hate Pitino?

Yes I'm serious. Sorry, not everyone cares about UK.

Was it when he left UK for the NBA or not until he took the Louisville job?

It was when Joanne said she didnt like kentucky, that was the straw that broke the camels back

Rick in Boston - 90+% of UK fans still loved him and were grateful for his work at UK.

Rick back to Louisville - vast majority of fans were off the wagon. He could have taken (IIRC) Michigan or UNLV.

Rick gives the finger - the last 5 percent who were "still grateful for what he did" jumped off.

Really rough idea, but that's fairly close.

It came when he benched Antoine Walker for the entire second half December 17th, 1999 versus the Indiana Pacers. Coach's decision my ass.

Sure the JoAnne comment was rough, but the above situation was the real deal breaker.

This is a really cool read and I find myself with similar thoughts as to the demise of the once great Pitino. You don’t just snub the Mecca of college basketball and walk away free and clear. Eventually you have to pay the piper.

Thanks for the memories and.....

Good riddance.

Started after the NCAA Championship game in 1997 against Arizona. I didn't know Derek Anderson was ready to go, and it was a bunch of crap to sit him. UK's team was absolutely WORN out in that game.
Then RP swore he would be back at UK the next season and it turned out him and his agent were already looking at NBA teams to coach on the same day of the announcement. Two weeks later RP left for Boston.
When RP announced he was returning to college, then he had just about everything wrapped up to coach at Michigan when he announced they were going to push Denny Crum out of the way to make room for RP. Wasn't a Crum fan (I swear almost hitting him with my car was an accident), but I thought the incident was dirty.
RP thought he would still be adored in this state because of his love for horses and what he did for UK basketball. Basically every player he signed was a better version of Mashburn.
Small jabs here and there about the BBN. The man thought he was above EVERYTHING! Patti Swope, The Cleveland Clinic, Karen Sypher, and the hookers were just off-court examples that he wasn't.

Now Coach #2 looks like a fool and he deserves EVERY bit of the crap he's getting and doesn't deserve to be an NCAA coach anymore.

Jmo. :popcorn:

then wth are doing on a UK board?
I was jumping around different team message boards to see what reactions have been to the FBI investigation. All the Pitino threads caught my attention, thus the question. Considering no one seems to agree on what the answer was it seems like a legit question.

We all loved Rick when he coached here, he helped bring us back from the deep depression of the '80's, remember "Pitinos Bombinos"? The miracle comeback game against LSU? "The Unforgettables, The Untouchables"? The '96 championship?
Most here gave him our blessing when he headed to Boston, we understood. But then the Jekyl n Hyde thing happened!! Rick thought he was above The BBN, above other coaches and he quickly became the most hated turncoat of all-time! Leaving the Cats to coach in the NBA, not so hard to take ........ leaving The Cats to coach at lil' brother!! ...... the hated dirty birds!! massive slap in the face of every member of The BBN!!!
And to this very day he's been trying to play catch-up!! Enjoy your legacy Mr. Pitino

I was jumping around different team message boards to see what reactions have been to the FBI investigation. All the Pitino threads caught my attention, thus the question. Considering no one seems to agree on what the answer was it seems like a legit question.

Fair response - Bottom line, he could have gone to Michigan or UNLV or anywhere else in the country, but chose instead to go to the biggest enemy of UK Basketball.

I am not sure it would have been worse if he went to Indiana.

there is not gonna be agreement on the answer to your question because it is different for everyone. I am sure that "most" would agree that the dislike started because he took a job with our instate rival when he had other good options!Most including myself felt it was disrespectful to a fan base that he had meant to much to. Spurrier to FSU,, Woody Hayes to Michigan,, Coach K to UNC,, you just don't!

Rick couldn't handle the fact that the entire state didn't adore him any more. Cal coming to Kentucky was the straw that broke the camels back. He could somewhat compete against Tubby and was head and shoulders above Gillespie. With Cal, he fell behind and got further and further behind.

He couldn't out recruit Cal, he couldn't beat Cal head to head and while Cal's star grew brighter and brighter, his started to fade fast. His enormous ego couldn't handle it. No longer was he beloved In this state. In fact, he became reviled.

Pitino realized that he made the big mistake of his life by leaving Kentucky and thought that he could fix things by coming back to the state as the Cardinals coach. Little did he know that UK fans hold grudges for a long time. We don't forget and we don't forgive.
God may love him but we don't
God may forgive him but we won't

If you don't care about Kentucky, then why are you on our board?

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Edit: just saw where you answered this. But still, there's the door.

Reactions: morgousky

For me it was when he recruited Marvin Stone as a transfer and then didn’t bench him when he taunted our bench and coaches. In one moment it showed his ego was more important than his dignity.

Reactions: morgousky

I'll warn you that many who have posed similar questions to this have turned out to be trolls and the question turns out to be disingenuous. It turns out to be an opening to demean and insult the UK fanbase.

The truth is that many don't really hate Pitino, though many do. I do not begrudge anyone for feeling however they like about the man. For my part, I hated when he left UK for the Celtics, but my reaction was to become a Boston fan. He had several UK players on the team and I was all in. His flame out only proved to me that his style didn't translate, but I never doubted his coaching acumen.

The problem for me was when he decided to return to UK's biggest rival up the interstate less than 60 miles away. It showed me the size of the man's ego and proved he had no true understanding of UK basketball or UK fans, and no real respect, either. It was a betrayal that went very deep for UK fans and it left UofL fans giddy and running their mouths incessantly about it. While Tubby and Gillispie were here, Rick got the better of UK fairly often. He was the story. He was the big name in the state again. And he knew exactly what he was doing.

As another said above, you just don't do this. Coach K doesn't take the UNC job. Dean Smith doesn't go to Duke. Bob Knight wouldn't take the Kentucky job. Bear Bryant wouldn't go to Auburn. And so on and so forth. People claim to not understand the frustration of UK fans on this point, but it's easy to cast aspersions when it's not your former coach at your biggest rival.

So, if it's a genuine question, there's my genuine answer.

Remember when bozich wrote an article a few years back the Cal had Pitino envy? Lol

In typical fashion the uofl Neanderthals are now blaming bozich for being a UK patsy to help bring down uofl.

ADVERTISEMENT