ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Barnes has done pretty well since getting canned by Texas

I hate to say it, but I like him, just not the Vols. I really wish he were still at Texas.

Reactions: Catzman
He’s done his best coaching since becoming the vawls coach. jmdao

Certainly did less way too often with more at Texas.

As UK fans we likely feel that way. I'm not sure that was really the case though. If you notice, a whole lot of coaches fall into the category of "did less with more". At some point we have to look at the data and wonder did they really do less with more, or did they really just do average with more. we get blinded by the ones who actually "do more with more", which seems to happen less often than we tend to believe.

I think Shaka Smart is taking his name out of "It's Texas. Easy to win here." conversation. Dude is awful, imo.

Yet, there were so many posters on here who really wanted Shaka to coach at UK, if you remember those posts at the time. Reminded me of all those who wanted Sean Miller as our coach as well. Guys who made noise but never really won anything and then Miller has also had the recent troubles at AZ to deal with while Smart has done very little at Texas.

Yet, there were so many posters on here who really wanted Shaka to coach at UK, if you remember those posts at the time. Reminded me of all those who wanted Sean Miller as our coach as well. Guys who made noise but never really won anything and then Miller has also had the recent troubles at AZ to deal with while Smart has done very little at Texas.
Who,would you pick so we can throw it in your face when we have 20/20 hindsight? [sick]

Who,would you pick so we can throw it in your face when we have 20/20 hindsight? [sick]

I don't try picking coaches for UK but I also don't just jump on the bandwagon of an up and coming coach before they prove themselves or win something. UK is a special place and special job and I think it takes a very special person to handle it. Obviously, you don't see it that way and seemingly can't discuss it in a rational way with another UK fan but are more intent on just attacking me. Have a good day.

3 years, 1 winning record, 1 NCAA tournament victory over Wright State, .564 winning percentage. Funny how expectations work, if Tubby Smith had that record he'd be on the hot seat.

He didn't get lucky. Bamba had 'extra incentives' to go there.
Exactly
His financial adviser from Michigan pushed him there. Watched a lot of Texas games. The system was to make bamba as good as possible instead of what makes the team better. What happens when money gets thrown around. He was forced to play that way. I think that sways kids from Kentucky cause Calipari doesnt play that game. He runs the team not a player

Reactions: seccats04
I don't try picking coaches for UK but I also don't just jump on the bandwagon of an up and coming coach before they prove themselves or win something. UK is a special place and special job and I think it takes a very special person to handle it. Obviously, you don't see it that way and seemingly can't discuss it in a rational way with another UK fan but are more intent on just attacking me. Have a good day.

When Cal says UK isn’t for everyone he ain’t just talkin’ bout players.

Reactions: ashbergh
Final Four caliber? They lost in the 2nd round to Loyola Chicago.
Pretty sure he is talking about this year where they are Top 10 in preseason. Will most likely be higher when the season starts. What he has done in the time he has done it is remarkable. They are solid this year. I live here in Knoxville and when he was hired thought he was doing it for a paycheck. They have competed every year he has been here. Just didn't have the same talent as the teams they were playing against. They have experienced talent now. Tough team.

Also wanted to add, I enjoy watching Vol fans suffer as much as anyone else, but they will be a handful this year.

Williams and Schofield are beasts for college players and will win you a lot of games at this level. Not saying they have the pro potential our guys have, but they don’t need a system to win games on the college level with a couple of studs like that. Guard play is most likely what will be the limiter for a deep tourney run.

Beating them twice this year will be a tough task and wins we want on our resume come seeding time.

Pretty sure he is talking about this year where they are Top 10 in preseason. Will most likely be higher when the season starts. What he has done in the time he has done it is remarkable. They are solid this year. I live here in Knoxville and when he was hired thought he was doing it for a paycheck. They have competed every year he has been here. Just didn't have the same talent as the teams they were playing against. They have experienced talent now. Tough team.
I guess 15–19, 16–16, 26–9 with 1 NCAA tournament victory is more impressive to y'all than me. I've seen you guys trash other with much better resumes.

I guess 15–19, 16–16, 26–9 with 1 NCAA tournament victory is more impressive to y'all than me. I've seen you guys trash other with much better resumes.
He basically started from scratch...lol. What kind of record do you expect with JC transfers and no star players?

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Well, what do you all expect? He didn't remove his name from consideration for the UT job...
Before opening the thread I swear to God I said to myself, “I’m guessing it will take the fourth reply until someone makes a joke about Barnes removing his name from consideration for something.“ And sure enough, you were the fourth reply. [roll]

I'll admit there was a time when I thought Shaka was going to eventually be a top five type of coach .

Reactions: jrpross
Before opening the thread I swear to God I said to myself, “I’m guessing it will take the fourth reply until someone makes a joke about Barnes removing his name from consideration for something.“ And sure enough, you were the fourth reply. [roll]

I aim to please.[laughing]

Reactions: jrpross
He's done better than I thought he would at Tennessee. He's been a good hire for them.

Last edited:

He never did much with “talent” at UT though...

ADVERTISEMENT