ADVERTISEMENT

Richards game will be Improved.

Jul 23, 2002
I like Big guy game I feel he will be much improved from his freshman season. Going to be a block party this year with him protecting the rim for the Cats.

Here we go...

giphy.gif

I'm hoping for, and expect, at least some improvement. A 15% better NR would be fantastic. Hoping for a reliable 25 min, 10 and 7, 3 blocks.

Is there anyone smooth you aren’t high on this year, or maybe someone we shouldn’t sleep on? Btw, how ya been?

Richards is going to have to earn his time there are many more guys ahead of him that are better than him. He will have to make the best with the time he’s given. I expect him back for his junior yr and then he will have the yr you’re expecting this year

I think this year will be great for Nick...but Junior year is his year

Last year he was thrown in to a spot where a lot of pressure was on him at all times. PJ and KK weren't as big...so the rim protection and size was all on him. He just was not mentally ready for the role.

Now this year...he has guys around him where he does not carry a load. He can workout and get his body right. He can practice against better players. He can come in without pressure and focus on doing what he does best. This is the year he can craft his game and be ready to show out next season

Then he can come into next season as a man. Have 2 years of experience and a lot stronger of a body. He has a lot of upside...looks like he has the ability to become a post scorer and have a decent jumper...way more offensive upside than say a WCS or Marcus Lee. And his body and quickness combo have the potential to become an elite rim protector and rebounder if he puts in the work.

His body also seems like it can have room to add a lot of muscle...he doesn't look like he's just gonna be a stick.

His hands were awful last year and that’s tough to correct. Was surprising at the FT line- good late season. I bet he missed blocking 50 shots by a half step so hopefully he has better reaction time. Could be a rim protector

I still contend his biggest problem last year was his strength. If he develops his upper body and hand strength I think he could be a dominant player this year but most likely next.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Richards needs to improve but don't count him out too much.We probably don't win the WVa game last year without a couple of plays he made late in the game

Much improved? He'll be as worthless this season as he was last. Love these posts. Every year a quarter of the fans believe one of the weak links will all of a sudden be Demarcus Cousins. You either got it, or you dont. Nick doesn't have it.

Much improved? He'll be as worthless this season as he was last. Love these posts. Every year a quarter of the fans believe one of the weak links will all of a sudden be Demarcus Cousins. You either got it, or you dont. Nick doesn't have it.
Cousins he won't be ,but better he will be.Just hide and watch then say the same thing in January.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I'm hoping for, and expect, at least some improvement. A 15% better NR would be fantastic. Hoping for a reliable 25 min, 10 and 7, 3 blocks.

I'm probably one of Richards biggest believers on this board.
But his per 25min stats last year were 8.7 pts, 7.5 reb, & 1.5 blk. The 1.3 more pts shouldn't be difficult. You actually are hoping he'll be a slightly worse rebounder than he was. The 3 blk might be a bit unrealistic, the only guys we've had do that were Davis (of course), Noel, and Willie as a Soph.
The biggest challenge will be the 25 mpg due to our depth. I think 20-22 mpg would be an optimistic mpg for him.

We’ve got 3 bigs better than him so he better be much improved, or else he won’t see the floor much.

I think he will have a lot more confidence coming into his sophomore season and I expect a lot of improvement from the young man.

I hope he is greatly improved. However, the last practice report before the Bahamas trip suggested otherwise. It sounded like everyone needs to significantly lower their expectations once again.

We’ve got 3 bigs better than him so he better be much improved, or else he won’t see the floor much.

We don't know that EJ is better than him. EJ is more flexible, can play the 4 and maybe the 3 (Richards is strictly a 5). I know many of you focus on the HS rankings, and EJ I think was in the 8-14 range, and Richards was in the 14-18 range, so not that different. Certainly not different enough that 1 year of playing college ball couldn't cover. Now from comments from Cal the past few weeks, I would bet EJ may play more than Richards, but I don't think it's a given yet.

I’m not sure if Nick truly breaks out this season. However we should see improvement. As someone posted, he’s not having to try to do it all alone this year. I think his biggest problem was mental; he got scared and lost confidence.
I believe if Nick is patient, continues to work hard and regains that confidence, he will get there

Reactions: WildMoon
Is there anyone smooth you aren’t high on this year, or maybe someone we shouldn’t sleep on? Btw, how ya been?

Richards is going to have to earn his time there are many more guys ahead of him that are better than him. He will have to make the best with the time he’s given. I expect him back for his junior yr and then he will have the yr you’re expecting this year
I'm good and You. I'm high on all of them even Brad.

I'm probably one of Richards biggest believers on this board.
But his per 25min stats last year were 8.7 pts, 7.5 reb, & 1.5 blk. The 1.3 more pts shouldn't be difficult. You actually are hoping he'll be a slightly worse rebounder than he was. The 3 blk might be a bit unrealistic, the only guys we've had do that were Davis (of course), Noel, and Willie as a Soph.
The biggest challenge will be the 25 mpg due to our depth. I think 20-22 mpg would be an optimistic mpg for him.
Well, I wasn't trying to over analyzing it and get into the weeds with the numbers. Just throwing out a line I'd like to see from NR, reliably and consistently. Good post though, thx for the stats.

We don't know that EJ is better than him. EJ is more flexible, can play the 4 and maybe the 3 (Richards is strictly a 5). I know many of you focus on the HS rankings, and EJ I think was in the 8-14 range, and Richards was in the 14-18 range, so not that different. Certainly not different enough that 1 year of playing college ball couldn't cover. Now from comments from Cal the past few weeks, I would bet EJ may play more than Richards, but I don't think it's a given yet.
Difference is EJ has been playing basketball longer and was in the top 5 his first two years of high school

When he goes up for that turnaround there is definitely no one up in that airspace with him to stop it. If he continues to develop a hook shot and that jumper to go with it the sky is the limit for him.

Ahh he will Progress Like WCS did and if you can't see he looks better all ready you haven't watched the 1st 2 games or blind. Nick is ozzing potential and started playing b-ball late.

ADVERTISEMENT