ADVERTISEMENT

Rhetoric with Payne …

Jjohnb5393

Freshman
Mar 25, 2022
…Starting to see some articles on WDRB and other places about how short his leash is going to be starting in April . Talking about how this team should be a little better by now . I’m starting to think Payne could be a mid-season firing next yr if it doesn’t start strong.

lol. Their leading scorer has taken 11 more shots than their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers. They average 8.8 assists, but turn it over 16.6 times a game. They can't shoot and they have no balance. That's not Payne's fault. He just got there. They should be blaming it on Chris Mack. What a cluster touch he left behind.

He’s got a job 80 or so miles East as an assistant if he’s canned.
No doubt . He’s probably got an offset in his buyout clause , so he could come cheap. What UL would have to pay him annually for a few yrs would be more than an assistant salary

Reactions: Fox2monk
Nobody wants to play for Louisville now. They aren't relevant anymore. I will say I miss the days when UL, IU were huge programs. It was more fun as a fan back then. I'd like to see it get back to that just not at our expense.

If they fire Payne 1.5 years in they get what they deserve. Nobody will want to go there.

I’m so glad that crap hole is finally a real crap hole.

Reactions: Fox2monk
My wife keeps telling me that I should not find joy in the misery of others... but in this case, I just cannot help myself.

That's great. But, on my part, I honestly never really think about UL any more. I actually wish we would replace them on the schedule with a much better opponent with a home and home series.

Reactions: KFuqua
Cal won 9 games one year with top recruits. Payne walked into a roaring dumpster fire. He should have more time than they will likely give him.
Cal had 20 years of relative head coaching success to suggest he could turn it around some , but Payne lacks any . That’s the concern it seem many UL fans have . Throw in not recruiting that well .

Reactions: ORCAT and jace2012
Payne is going to have to find some diamonds in the rough, because the top talent isn’t interested in that place. If he can manage to land some Gerald Fitch, Ramel Bradley, Rodney Dent type guys then he could set about building a program. We can’t even begin to debate how good of an actual coach the guy is until he gets some decent players in there. Trouble is I’m not sure if he can.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
1. That roster is terrible and it's not all Payne's fault. They need to let him recruit his own guys.

2. I agree that it's unlikely they will give Payne much more time if they keep losing. Truth is, people say they understand it's a rebuild, but they won't tolerate this much losing.

3. I still think Payne is probably not a head coach. He was great as a #2 guy, an associate. But I don't think he has the personality to be tough on his players. He's a friend to them and seems to struggle being the bad cop. I don't think he will last even if he gets his own players in there.

Cal won 9 games one year with top recruits. Payne walked into a roaring dumpster fire. He should have more time than they will likely give him.
OR.....

Cal should have had less

I think they have to give Payne at least 2 full years, but there is no arguing he is historically bad - he had the transfer portal to get at least a .500 team in there. It was a huge mistake on his part to settle on the team he has now, especially at PG

Last edited:
Historically bad it is. I like Payne. I think he went into a losing situation and is really struggling. He probably made a bad choice by not going to a more stabile program to break into head coaching but at least he got paid.

Given a few years he may turn it around but I doubt he gets the chance.

3. I still think Payne is probably not a head coach. He was great as a #2 guy, an associate. But I don't think he has the personality to be tough on his players. He's a friend to them and seems to struggle being the bad cop. I don't think he will last even if he gets his own players in there.

Harry Lancaster. Dicky Parsons. Lots of great assistants would have been blah as the top guy.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I still don't understand why Payne didn't try harder in the transfer market.He wouldn't have been able to get the best ones but could have gotten better than they have now for sure.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
The last time UL basketball was this bad, there was a war on? I guess the writer of that article has forgotten there have been several wars since WW2.

ADVERTISEMENT