ADVERTISEMENT

Revisiting some underrated 80's movies.

Sorry, but best decade for movies was 90s, and it’s not even close.

But back to the topic of underrated 80s movies..

A great start for the Coen Brothers with the movie Blood Simple.

And a truly underrated movie - Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
70’s gotta be the best for truly great movies right?

Underrated 80's movies. Once Upon A Time In America is considered a genuine classic, IMO. One of the pillars of modern gangster films.

Critics didn't like the original 2 hour version. The +3 hour director's cut is excellent but didn't get released until much later. I get your point though.
The first time I saw it was in 1986. I only remember the year because I know I was living in Texas. I saw it on cable TV (probably HBO) and it was easily 3 hours. I remember it had a damn intermission. LOL

Apropos of the original thread intent or not, it is a classic movie in every sense. There are some strange/not so strange theories out there about the story line and ending that provoke thought.

Reactions: DSmith21
The best I've heard Big Trouble in Little China described is its the best movie of alltime as you watch it. A true work of art imo.

The Burbs is fvcking great.

Ghostbusters 2 is underrated imo. It is clearly not as good as the original but it has some truely great moments. The courtroom scene is Rick Moranis at the top of his game.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Here is an early 80's film. Odd, corny, but great in it's own way.

Directed and produced by the venerable George Romero, and starring an as of yet unheard of Ed Harris, and co-starring effects/makeup wizard (in Romero's classic previous films, Dawn of the Dead etc.) Tom Savini.

Knightriders...

Sorry, but best decade for movies was 90s, and it’s not even close.

But back to the topic of underrated 80s movies..

A great start for the Coen Brothers with the movie Blood Simple.

And a truly underrated movie - Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Yeah if we’re talking like Oscar films and what not, yes, the 90s reigns supreme. But the 80s was king of cult classics though.

Reactions: exemjr
How could I forget one the 80's all time classics: Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension.

Somebody get her a f*cking violin. LOL

I'm going to sing this song for you Peggy. "It's PENNY" LOL (someone in the backgounf says, "this sucks" LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Mash 2.4
Over the Top and BTILC are definitely on the list.

What about Better Off Dead? Underrated? I think so.
Absolutely. It’s a classic film and plot. I think everyone in the 80s either had to ski or water ski to save a slope or a summer camp. 😂 I think that was the plot of Meatballs 4 with Corey Feldman too.

Over the Top taught me the best way to win a child custody battle was through winning an arm wrestling tournament.

Cobra was another solid Stallone performance

I submit Jewish gangster movie Once Upon a Time in America. Screenplay by Sergio Leone (from the Eastwood spaghetti westerns). Staring Robert DeNiro, James Woods, Joe Pesci, Elizabeth McGovern, Treat Willims, etc. Really good movie but it was very long (over 3.5 hours). The American release got cut down to about 2 hours and it didn't work/critics didn't like. The original full version is a really good movie.

Have the Directors cut in queue, just because I heard it's one of those films you need to see the DC version (Along with films like Brazil and Alien 3)

Great movie from 1987.

5148wwXnk1L._SY445_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
For me, this is a no-brainer.

Tough Guys is great

Lancaster
Douglas
Wallach

Add in Durning

Good flick

Oh I got a great one.

To Live and Die in LA with William Peterson and Dafoe.

Point Break got its car chase scene from this movie. Badass action movie.

Reactions: megablue
70’s gotta be the best for truly great movies right?
hell no. independence day is 1996. that alone easily vaults the 90's to the top. not only is it a fourth of july tradition, a tear-jerker of a presidential speech, but the template for victory against the aliens that we can pass on to future generations.

Reactions: Mash 2.4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT