ADVERTISEMENT

Returning Production

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
Kentucky 112th. Transfer production counts. UK hurt by the model not considering returning RB rushing yards to be relatively important, as well as the loss of returning passes defended.

Methodology:

My returning production formula looks at the most predictive key personnel stats -- the numbers that have the most impact on improvement or regression from season to season. What percentage of your QBs' combined passing yardage is returning? Your offensive line snaps? Your defensive tackles for loss? Returning production is weighted based on what correlates most strongly with year-to-year changes in SP+.

The weighting for the offensive returning production formula changes from year to year as I get more data to play with. The current iteration is as follows:

Returning QB passing yards: 29%
Returning RB rushing yards: 5%
Returning WR/TE receiving yards: 34%
Returning OL snaps: 33%

Those who have been following my work for a while might be surprised by that last number. For a long time, I tracked offensive line starts as the best possible way of measuring experience and continuity up front, but its year-to-year correlations weren't very strong and didn't factor much into the overall equation. But having snap count data at my disposal now has opened things up. As it turns out, continuity up front, as measured by your percentage of snaps returning, has a pretty hefty impact on your year-to-year progression or regression. That makes sense, of course -- your offensive line makes up nearly half of your offensive lineup.

Defense is a little bit trickier. The units aren't quite as well-defined -- teams play with three or four linemen, three or four linebackers, four or five defensive backs -- but this is approximately what goes into the defensive returning production figure:

Returning tackles: 56%
Returning tackles for loss: 6%
Returning sacks: 7%
Returning passes defensed: 31%

This ends up being a nice blend of raw tackling figures and disruption stats. Apparently disruption in the passing game is harder to replace -- continuity matters more there.

Perhaps because of this, continuity in the back of the defense has far more of an effect on your stats than continuity up front. Returning production in the secondary ends up accounting for about 59% of your overall statistical change, a monstrous amount compared to linebackers (minus-33%) and defensive linemen (minus-8%). Apparently change up front is much easier to account for, which might surprise some.

Some of the best teams have among the lowest retuning production percentages, in the SEC at the bottom of the pack is Bama at 123 at the top Ole Miss at 26.

I think that's indicative of the better teams having more 3 year players than the lesser teams.

I think most people expect better QB play this year regardless of not having a returning starting QB. (That seemed to be large part of the formula.)

We lost some quality defensive players to NFL, but I like our defensive depth at most positions.

Reactions: The-Hack
Lmao at this. I’ve always said it’s stupid to get excited over how many kids you have returning if what you put on the field the year before wasn’t very good, especially upperclassmen (you’re not going to see a lot of progress made from junior going into his senior year). As someone said above, we lost our QB but who on here doesn’t think that’s an automatic upgrade especially now that Gran and Hinshaw are gone? And returning RB production yards not considered relevant? We have one of the top five backs in the nation with Smoke backing him up.

This isn’t concerning whatsoever, we’re at the reloading stage now where there’s going to be very little drop-off of talent from year to year.

Reactions: jauk11 and The-Hack
My returning production formula looks at the most predictive key personnel stats -- the numbers that have the most impact on improvement or regression from season to season.

May not like the numbers but they tend to be accurate across FBS generically. I recall this indicator suggesting the 2015 defense was going to punch above its weight and indeed it did despite being saddled with awful field position with Dawson’s offense.

UK was ranked 25th last year: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/cfb-teams-with-the-most-returning-production.315869/

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
May not like the numbers but they tend to be accurate across FBS generically. I recall this indicator suggesting the 2015 defense was going to punch above its weight and indeed it did despite being saddled with awful field position with Dawson’s offense.

UK was ranked 25th last year: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/cfb-teams-with-the-most-returning-production.315869/

Yeah I saw where he mentioned correlation with SP+ (?). That's how he weights his metrics.

When you see Alabama fourth from the bottom in the nation and try to say this indicates how a team finishes the model loses relevance.

No, what it means is Alabama - and all the other blue bloods - just reload with talent. Just like UK basketball having high turnover not reflecting how good they'll be the following year. When you perennially sign Top 5 recruiting classes you weather fewer returning starters more easily relative to others.

Reactions: jauk11
I really have to question the accuracy of this, all of UGA' offensive production returns except 1 WR who was replaced by a transfer that had bigger numbers. We did lose 2 OL, I guess losing 6 DB killed the defensive side but an AA and an all ACC CB transferred in. The sack leader is gone but the other LB gone missed 2 games. How are the Vols not 130 and less than 20%? The lost at least 3 OL, 2 QB, leading receiver, top 2 rushers, top 2 tacklers, sack leader and return 60% of their production? UK and UGA only slightly more, I dont see how that is possible.

I really have to question the accuracy of this, all of UGA' offensive production returns except 1 WR who was replaced by a transfer that had bigger numbers. We did lose 2 OL, I guess losing 6 DB killed the defensive side but an AA and an all ACC CB transferred in. The sack leader is gone but the other LB gone missed 2 games. How are the Vols not 130 and less than 20%? The lost at least 3 OL, 2 QB, leading receiver, top 2 rushers, top 2 tacklers, sack leader and return 60% of their production? UK and UGA only slightly more, I dont see how that is possible.
Yeah, I could've bet 10 million TN was the bottom if not very very close.

But he failed to analyze the numbers brought by Rosenthal, the Ole Miss LB, and Wan’ Dale, along with two other former 4 Star transfers.
That was the missing info that throws these numbers out of whack in UK's case, we have some very impressive talent transferring in that make the talent we lost seem quite manageable. I think we would be near the top of any list in terms of the number of impact players transferring in, we really filled in some positions of need at critical positions.

ADVERTISEMENT