ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Kentucky to Allow 15 Percent Capacity at Rupp Arena

Everything in this capacity depends upon how they do this. Do you distance people before they enter the arena, do you have them spaced inside, etc? Watching college football some schools have people in the stands grouped together which makes no sense. Seems like at Rupp you could handle more, but any numbers hopefully mean we will have a season.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Everything in this capacity depends upon how they do this. Do you distance people before they enter the arena, do you have them spaced inside, etc? Watching college football some schools have people in the stands grouped together which makes no sense. Seems like at Rupp you could handle more, but any numbers hopefully mean we will have a season.
They'll be spread out. Family/friend groups and call sit together with space between the groups of people most likely.

Reactions: gharding07
I went ahead and bought tix for the all the home football games but with no tail gaiting and no noise / excitement in the stadium its a pretty lame experience IMO . I'll pass on Rupp this year

Hopefully the 15% aren't the old codgers who sit on their hands all game.

I believe there will be a lottery system, beginning with those who opt to retain season tickets (versus defer to next season). Last I was aware- this was still in the works. Maybe someone here knows more.

I'm gonna go out on limb and say it may be more exciting. The "please sit down" folk are gonna be afraid of dying and elect to stay home... that's the harsh truth.

Reactions: Zissou87
I received this email from UK:

On behalf of Kentucky Athletics, thank you for your continued and valued support of our student-athletes and programs during these challenging times. We hope that you and your family are staying safe.

As we all navigate the COVID-19 world, we continue to take steps every day to provide the best opportunities for our teams to compete. Our facilities and operations teams are hard at work formulating plans to allow our winter sports to return to competition. Our top priority is the health of our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans and that principle will continue to drive our decision-making process.

At this time, we are continuing to work diligently with university, Southeastern Conference, and state officials on our plans for men’s and women’s basketball events at Rupp Arena and Memorial Coliseum. Full game schedules are expected to be released soon, as the NCAA Division I Council recently approved that games may begin Nov. 25. Southeastern Conference games may begin Dec. 29 or 30 (men’s basketball) and Dec. 31 (women’s basketball).

Our expectations for men’s and women’s basketball events at this point include, but are not limited to:
  • Significant reduction in capacity at both Rupp Arena and Memorial Coliseum to allow for physically distanced seating blocks spaced throughout the venue.
  • Additional physical distance requirements to create clear separation between the court/floor area and spectator seating.
  • Masks will be required to be worn at all times, including while seated in the bowl, except when actively eating or drinking.
  • All tickets will be issued via mobile delivery and accessed via smartphone
Our attendance protocols and ticketing plans will be informed by capacity decisions, and we will share additional information soon with all 2019-2020 season ticket holders. We encourage you to monitor your emails to ensure you receive important updates.

We also realize that some of you may have already determined that you do not wish to attend games this season but want to retain your season tickets for future years. It is important to know that all 2019-2020 season ticket holders will have the ability to renew their previously established seating locations for the 2021-2022 season, regardless of whether or not they receive tickets this year. Opting out will not affect any future seating priority, as your loyalty is important to us. We will also share further details soon about how you can continue to support your favorite teams and our 500+ student-athletes during these unprecedented times.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I sympathize with those who develop and manage the plan for Rupp.
I'm on the Covid committee at our large church.

...It is impossible to pre-set a capacity number for safe distancing (since families + close friends are permitted to sit side by side).

...It is beyond impossible to police the behavior of attendees.
(It's like a polite game of Whack-a-Mole)

I sympathize with those who develop and manage the plan for Rupp.
I'm on the Covid committee at our large church.

...It is impossible to pre-set a capacity number for safe distancing (since families + close friends are permitted to sit side by side).

...It is beyond impossible to police the behavior of attendees.
(It's like a polite game of Whack-a-Mole)
I am not a church going person myself but I loved your post as it reflects the reality I keep seeing. I still can't find that section in the Constitution that talks about the right not to wear masks or do reasonable things to protect yourself and others. But, you can't constantly police others and it puts people into very uncomfortable (and it shouldn't be necessary) positions. Rupp is huge and why not close up every 3 spaces or so and it would seem like you could have a fairly decent attendance. I don't know how they will form the lines to get in but hopefully they have some plan. However, to me the biggest issue for college basketball is not going to be Kentucky but other programs.

I'd love to see a season schedule, but here we are without one. Last time I heard Cal even talk about the release of the schedule was October 9....any idea when they'll make it available to the public?

I don't think the old folks will come to the games as much as the younger ones due to fear of COVID-19. Some may get tickets and give them to younger family members.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The older fan's in there have just as much right to be there as the young ones.. It is their right to stand or sit, if it bother's you so much stay home and watch on the tellie..
I hope that you live long enough to be an old Cogger sitting there enjoying a game you love.. See it does come back to bite you in the buttox..
I know IO can't spell very well but you might get the drift.. I am also self taught typing so I do miss a key every now and then so bear with me.. I still love UK sports and will follow all the teams UK has playing..

GBB

Not sure how many of y'all live in Lexington or have seen the absolute madness going on around Rupp. Heritage Hall, food court, all that is gone and a total wreck.

I couldn't give a rip avout covid or all this stupidity surrounding it. Reality is limiting capacity is a smart play for getting in and out down there with all thats going on. Bite the bullet this year and next season when construction is complete including actual parking, look out!

Reactions: notelvis
Not sure how many of y'all live in Lexington or have seen the absolute madness going on around Rupp. Heritage Hall, food court, all that is gone and a total wreck.

I couldn't give a rip avout covid or all this stupidity surrounding it. Reality is limiting capacity is a smart play for getting in and out down there with all thats going on. Bite the bullet this year and next season when construction is complete including actual parking, look out!
have you saw the pics of rupp when they finish it? man it’s not gonna look like a aircraft hanger anymore.

Jesus Christ how freakin depressing. repeal and replace daddy Andy...Ah well hell the place will be burned down by basketball season anyhow

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT