ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when an offer from Kentucky was special?

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Have we fallen so far that now Kentucky reaches out to these recruits and transfers and loses them to Auburn, Texas, UNLV, and on and on? It wasn't too long ago, that our program making an offer to a player was considered something special and very selective. Besides all the jokes of whom we are reaching out to, the reality is the joke is on us.

Unfortunately I never got one.....

HOWEVER

The NBA crushed college with the one n done rule. Until College has a come to Jesus moment and push a 2-3 year rule for collegiate athletes their sport will continue to diminish year after year.

Sadly just listen to this board. Most of us grew up die-hard fans. I'd recon 50% of the board has lost passion for UK Basketball. Will our Sons and Daughters feel the same way that we once did? Don't think so!

All of the 5 stars not named Damion Collins who is only here bc we hired Jai which is semi equivalent to hiring Cade Cunninghams brother. You cant run a OAD model and not get any OADs or else your team won't be good.
Okay but he said UNLV texas and auburn? Texas just took our leftover transfer and I don't even know a player on UNLV. Kessler on auburn? Great talent but we don't need a center

Have we fallen so far that now Kentucky reaches out to these recruits and transfers and loses them to Auburn, Texas, UNLV, and on and on? It wasn't too long ago, that our program making an offer to a player was considered something special and very selective. Besides all the jokes of whom we are reaching out to, the reality is the joke is on us.
All of these so-called reach outs aren't offers. The only guy I know of lately to get an offer from UK posted it and that is TyTy Washington. Most of it is just putting feelers out and because we are UK kids use it for headlines. I doubt Cal and company can do much without a story except with kids that know they are coming here and keep things quiet until they are ready to announce.

I do get it looks a little crazy that every day we are involved with a new kid, but when I read the reports most of them have about 20+ schools linked to them and 10 or so are the same schools a lot. I assume the schools who need a PG badly. Honestly, I think we are one of the top schools for not giving an actual offer and there are a lot of cases where I wish we would offer. Kicking the tires, now that's another story completely. I think Cal has a fire under his ass to go out there with the best team possible next year after this debacle.

Every year that Cal has been here, fans would complain that he’s not covering all the bases with very few offers going out and now that he is, it’s to many offers are going out. To be honest, no one really knows if UK has called any of these kids since UK can’t say who they have contacted. I always felt that UK stays pretty quiet on who they are talking to.

Good grief. There was just posters complaining that he doesn’t offer enough kids.
you guys are beyond crazy

All of the 5 stars not named Damion Collins who is only here bc we hired Jai which is semi equivalent to hiring Cade Cunninghams brother. You cant run a OAD model and not get any OADs or else your team won't be good.
That’s nowhere near equal. Jai wasn’t hired to be here for 2 years and than to manage Collins. Awful comparison.

That’s nowhere near equal. Jai wasn’t hired to be here for 2 years and than to manage Collins. Awful comparison.
But he was hired directly to get collins. Both can be true. Which is why its semi equivalent.... do you read?

But he was hired directly to get collins. Both can be true. Which is why its semi equivalent.... do you read?
You got a link he was hired to get Collins? Otherwise, you are full of ish. So no, it’s no where equivalent.

Do you life bro? Cause you aren’t too good at this message board thing.

edit: so why would Cal hire Jai to get a top 15 recruit but not hire Cannen to get his brother? Riddle me that, genius.

edit: so why would Cal hire Jai to get a top 15 recruit but not hire Cannen to get his brother? Riddle me that, genius.
Bc he knew he was on the outside looking in on all the other recruits and his staff was looking piss poor and after KP left he needed somebody who could actually recruit and it came with the benefit of a top 25 player. Next question.

Good lord you people are overdramatic. We have 3 top 40 recruits coming in next season and have two of the best transfers in the country. Are we what we were 10 years ago? No. But that wasn't sustainable. Take a step off the ledge. College basketball is changing.

Bc he knew he was on the outside looking in on all the other recruits and his staff was looking piss poor and after KP left he needed somebody who could actually recruit and it came with the benefit of a top 25 player. Next question.
Haha wow. You got a link for that? Or is that you Cal? Bro, give up. You keep digging.

I also noticed you avoided the first 2 parts of my response. Hmmm, wonder why?

You constantly try and bully posters here, I’m not the one chief.

Last edited:
1) Not sure how the 1st two posters in this thread are real Kentucky fans.
2) A UK offer is not special? We have a billion dollars worth of starters in the NBA right now with the name "Kentucky" signifying the highest level of quality and NBA readiness.
3) Duke is getting away with anything they want to so it is a very powerful lure for them to be able to tell a player to come there and the NCAA will turn a blind eye to anything... everything. That said, even under optimum conditions, Duke has struggled.
4) You give John Calipari the breaks K has gotten at Duke and Cal would have 4 Championships at UK instead of 1. Cal is operating under just about the toughest conditions possible for a coach and he's doing a fantastic job. Not sure if any other big name coach out there wouldn't have called it quits a long time ago.
5) Pearl and other coaches are great recruiters, too. Cal is the best ever but sometimes the other guys win. Especially when Cal is under constant attack from the Trump Capitol Storming UK nutcase segment that are intent on ruining our program the same way they ruined our country.

With the new transfer rule D-1 basketball is changing to what NAIA was a decade or so ago. You don't build a roster through freshmen, you build it through transfers that have already proven they can play. If Cal can make the switch and grab the best available transfers as long as this fiasco goes on, then we will compete. It's actually a whole lot safer strategy than relying on unproven freshmen that many times lose out due to physically not having the body to compete with the upperclassmen.

Reactions: stuway
Man the haters are becoming unbearable. Welcome to college ball in 2021. Its not just us its every team playing the transfer game. Sorry but the fact the rules in the sport have changed isn't on our coach.

I mean whats next?? I'm shocked the haters haven't blamed him for Covid or high gas prices.

KU is losing 5 players to the portal. Its not just us folks. UNC, dook, its everyone, not just UK. Cal has his faults but this is crazy.

Last edited:
Cal has got the UK program in such a mess. That it's starting to remind me of Tubby's last few years. I remember when Tubby lost a recruit to a prep school. Looks like we're headed in that same direction.

Man the haters are becoming unbearable. Welcome to college ball in 2021. Its not just us its every team playing the transfer game. Sorry but the fact the rules in the sport have changed isn't on our coach.

I mean whats next?? I'm shocked the haters haven't blamed him for Covid or high gas prices.

KU is losing 5 players to the portal. Its not just us folks. UNC, Took, its everyone, not just UK. Cal has his faults but this is crazy.
Yes, I agree. College basketball is staring to resemble a Portal-Potty and everyone is using it.

KU is losing 5 players to the portal. Its not just us folks. UNC, Took, its everyone, not just UK. Cal has his faults but this is crazy.

Well then I guess we can all stop watching college basketball. We dominated for a 100 years, but it's out of our control now.

Because the smart players do not want to play for a screaming maniac that runs a plow mile offense.

And I thought I was a conspiracy theorist.... 😂

HOWEVER

The NBA crushed college with the one n done rule. Until College has a come to Jesus moment and push a 2-3 year rule for collegiate athletes their sport will continue to diminish year after year.

Sadly just listen to this board. Most of us grew up die-hard fans. I'd recon 50% of the board has lost passion for UK Basketball. Will our Sons and Daughters feel the same way that we once did? Don't think so!
I have lost about 50 % interest both because of the one and done AND because after I took the Wisconsin loss so hard promised myself to never get that emotionally involved in another UK team. Makes for a happier life and happier wife .

HOWEVER

How is the NCAA going to push for a 2 to 3 year rule, the only way the NBA will go back to that is never. They have the G -League now, face it some of the top 5 to 10 kids will not be going to college in the near future. Colleges and coaches will have to adjust especially the top schools who got these kids.

It’s you

I believe an offer from UK is still special.
But reaching out does not mean an offer was made. So if I have an offer from say Auburn or Texas, or I have UK saying they like me and may offer but I am their 2nd or 3rd choice, that’s not a knock on the UK brand that he decides not to wait.

And as for the high profile recruits, we already know that the past 5 -6 years we lost some of those because they got paid to go to Duke, KU, Ariz, LSU.

Remember when we had to loan the other schools players because everyone had signed with us? I miss those times.

Some y’all lost your damn minds last year.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
Good lord you people are overdramatic. We have 3 top 40 recruits coming in next season and have two of the best transfers in the country. Are we what we were 10 years ago? No. But that wasn't sustainable. Take a step off the ledge. College basketball is changing.

Great post.

This board is filled with overly pessimistic drama queens.

I wish I was as blindly ignorant as the OP, life would be much easier being a complete moron.

So apparently "reaching out" or "checking in on" now equals Cal offered them a scholarship and was declined. So laughably stupid it would be unbelievable except it happens every day on this board now.

Cal has offered 3 transfers a scholarship so far. He landed two of them and the third is Marcus Carr. Seems like a pretty good success rate to me.

Every year that Cal has been here, fans would complain that he’s not covering all the bases with very few offers going out and now that he is, it’s to many offers are going out. To be honest, no one really knows if UK has called any of these kids since UK can’t say who they have contacted. I always felt that UK stays pretty quiet on who they are talking to.
No one is complaining about the offers...it's just the timing, always the last to offer which means always playing catch up. Then all of the rejections and having to scramble to fill out the roster....like now

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT