ADVERTISEMENT

Reid Travis had a terrible game and finished with 14 rebounds.

That is what a veteran does. He will have to adjust to not being the most talent but the most experienced guy on the floor. Then again, he was a 5 star that just needs to show more versatility to make the next jump in his game.

I am thinking how Calipari showed how Patterson can hit threes...PPat would not be getting paid like he is if he couldn’t hit the three...

Not worried about his scoring at all. He hardly got the ball in space and was doubled down most of the time when he did. Several passes to him were forced or a second late.

His "struggles" were, in part, due to the terrible shooting. When a team isn't making shots, it makes it really tough on the guys down low. They were just dropping 3,4, sometimes all 5 guys into the paint and daring UK to shoot from the outside. He just had no space in which to operate. Unfortunately, he'll need to get used to it; that seems to be the game plan against UK, regardless the team.

His "struggles" were, in part, due to the terrible shooting. When a team isn't making shots, it makes it really tough on the guys down low. They were just dropping 3,4, sometimes all 5 guys into the paint and daring UK to shoot from the outside. He just had no space in which to operate. Unfortunately, he'll need to get used to it; that seems to be the game plan against UK, regardless the team.
This team WILL start making shots, then that "game plan" will go out the window.

His offense will come, of that I have no doubt, but the rebounds speaks volumes. As they said he's a GROWN!!! man. He is the kind of guy who can make a difference without scoring much and that's a great thing for a young team.

He just didn't look comfortable out there tonight. He's getting used to a different offense for the first time in 5 years and it shows, but I'm not worried in the least.

I suspect that he, KJ, and PJ will start to finish those close ones that they missed tonight

Reactions: TM2013
Most of the players tonight had a bad shooting night but still won by 24 points. The announcers were discussing this gym and that most players haven't shot well playing in this gym. I also saw 3 terrible passes forced inside to Travis tonight and also PJ had him open twice for easy layups. Travis also missed at least a half-dozen layups and dunks that he normally makes with ease when playing inside. Travis could have easily scored 20 points with his 14 rebounds if he made his layups and dunks and the forced passes going inside to him tonight. Travis, PJ, and KJ all went 8/33 shooting for 24% and most of those were easy shots and layups. We have to remember this is the 1st of August and the first game these players were playing together. It just wasn't a good shooting game for Kentucky tonight but we still beat the Bahamas team by 24 points. I could see though we have some really good shooters this year in Quickley, Green, Herro, and even EJ Montgomery has a nice shot. It is great we get this early start this year and we can get this sorted out by November. We will be fine this year.

giphy.gif

:flushed:

Reactions: RamHard
Lousy perimeter shooting helps Reid's rebound #'s and put backs...
But bad shooting collapses the defense (which hurts his scoring)

I know this sounds weird, but he doesn’t just have good hands, he’s got good/strong fingers. Every ball that touched his fingertips he got control of, especially in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
If anything I was more impressed with him last night than I was previously. He looked awful but he gets such good looks. He even missed a relatively easy dunk. I don’t think he needs to be off the floor much

He's a rebounding machine. He has great hands and catches a lot of balls clean that other people do not.

Effort is all you can ask for at this point and he is relentless. That will lead to putbacks galore. He will be our leading scorer. 17-18 ppg.

When you aren't scoring you have to have a reason to be on the floor. If you bring nothing to the table, then you should be on the bench. He seems to know this and THAT is an amazing example for the younger fellas. Cal can refer to this game and use him as the perfect example of how to not let a poor offensive night effect the rest of your game. Just keep grinding and the shots will fall eventually.

He’s relentless on the boards. The one thing he needs to quit doing offensively is putting the balll on the floor. He did that numerous times instead of just going up. I’m sure Payne will see that on film and quickly correct it.
I noticed that as well. Just go up and slam it, don't dribble in the paint

I question the thread title.

I didn't see the game, but I hardly think it's ever fair to say a guy who nabbed 14 rebounds in 22 minutes had a "terrible game." A player doesn't need to score when he boards like that.

Last edited:
He’s relentless on the boards. The one thing he needs to quit doing offensively is putting the balll on the floor. He did that numerous times instead of just going up. I’m sure Payne will see that on film and quickly correct it.
But, it seemed like he had poor position, bad footwork on defense and not real athletic.
But then... the stat line.
Welcome to BBN
He may end up being a monster by march.

His offense will come, of that I have no doubt, but the rebounds speaks volumes. As they said he's a GROWN!!! man. He is the kind of guy who can make a difference without scoring much and that's a great thing for a young team.

He just didn't look comfortable out there tonight. He's getting used to a different offense for the first time in 5 years and it shows, but I'm not worried in the least.

Which, honestly, is all he needs to be. I don't think he'll average a double double. He won't need to. He'll, at most, be 8-10ppg but I definitely see him being around 10rpg. If he's asked to score more, he has all the tools to be a double double machine. He's 3 times the rebounder PJ is. But he's maybe 7th on the list of players who will be asked to score. And that speaks volumes to the rest of the team considering how capable Travis actually is at scoring the ball.

Reactions: BBUK
he has really good hands. just needs to work on not bringing the ball down and trying to play more above the rim. love what he brought from a rebounding perspective. gonna be a helluva player this year for us

Reactions: Cats192
He does the little things that don't always go on the stat sheet. He averaged 19 ppg so we know he has an offensive game. He just had a bad one yesterday, that's all.

One of these sample sizes matter. Can you guess which one?

A kid averaged about 20 and 9 over the course of a full college season in the PAC-10.

The other...

One game in the Bahamas in between pool laps and ice cream cones.

One of these sample sizes matter. Can you guess which one?

A kid averaged about 20 and 9 over the course of a full college season in the PAC-10.

The other...

One game in the Bahamas in between pool laps and ice cream cones.

Honestly, I'll take the 14 rebounds haha.

I agree with your point though. I don't know that any real conclusions will be able to be drawn from this 4 game stretch. There's a lot of practice time after this. Guys will have a lot of time to improve an correct bad habits. We're all trying to guess the starting lineup after 1 night, and who knows where some of these guys are in terms of improvement 2-3 months from now.

I'm just so damn excited to be able to watch the team in August.

The one thing I noticed- he was standing next to PJ one time. PJ is no wilting flower but standing next to Travis made PJ look like an undeveloped child.

I didn't see the game, but I hardly think it's ever fair to say a guy who nabbed 14 rebounds in 22 minutes had a "terrible game." A player doesn't need to score when he boards like that.
Agree w/ the gist of your post, but I do believe that he does need to score on a fairly high % of his offensive rebounds.

To me he looked uncomfortable because he's not used to the speed Ky plays. He's a great college basketball player but I'm not sure how he'll adjust at Ky or on the next level. He looks more like a Big 10 player. If he can grab rebounds like he did last night, I'm sure Cal will figure out how to make it work.

That was the point I was going for haha.

I think with his poor shooting, low scoring he'd call that a bad game. But even in that aspect, he gets you 14 rebounds. He's going to be a warrior.

The teams that tried to push us around inside last year...like UT and UGA, they're not going to like seeing Mr. T. coming to their gym. Dude is a brick wall.

Not worried about his scoring at all. He hardly got the ball in space and was doubled down most of the time when he did. Several passes to him were forced or a second late.

He does need to get better at passing out of those double teams. He is going to see them all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT