ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

7 for his last 43....a sweet .163 clip.

28 K's in 55 ab's for the month.

2 K's in 10 of 15 games for the month.

3 SB in his last 22 games.

4 K's away from breaking the all time single season Reds strikeout record.

He needs to have his 1 good game a week to keep Sadak from going off the deep end.
I'm sure you have already let Sadak know on X.

Reactions: CalCat57
There goes Brandon Williamson for a year. TJ surgery. Sad, hate that for him. Already an injury going into next season. Williamson had been pitching well before last night's start.

Likely pretty much solidifies Lowder being in the starting rotation to start the season. What happens to Ashcraft? Does he have any trade value whatsoever at this point? I mean he is still young and could easily figure it out and put up a solid season for somebody. Right now I see the 2025 rotation as Green, Abbott, Lodolo, Lowder and Ashcraft. Maybe Aguiar or Junis takes Ashcrafts spot, assuming they don't make a move for somebody. Can see Martinez exercising his option and finding a bigger payday somewhere. Will be interesting to see how fast they move Chase Burns through the system. I'm sure he'll be called upon next year when August rolls around and most of the starters are on the IL.

Likely pretty much solidifies Lowder being in the starting rotation to start the season. What happens to Ashcraft? Does he have any trade value whatsoever at this point? I mean he is still young and could easily figure it out and put up a solid season for somebody. Right now I see the 2025 rotation as Green, Abbott, Lodolo, Lowder and Ashcraft. Maybe Aguiar or Junis takes Ashcrafts spot, assuming they don't make a move for somebody. Can see Martinez exercising his option and finding a bigger payday somewhere. Will be interesting to see how fast they move Chase Burns through the system. I'm sure he'll be called upon next year when August rolls around and most of the starters are on the IL.
Maybe this guy gets it together.

Good news Down on the Farm:
23-year old RHP Connor Phillips was dealing last night Louisville Bats: 6 IN, 2 R, 0 BB, season high 9 K and 15 swings and misses.
He was a Top 75 prospect last year when he was forced into action when the Cincinnati Reds rotation was on the IL and dealing with Covid. He started Game 161 and it was a disaster vs the Cardinals: 3 batters, 12 pitches/0 strikes/3 walks. Done.
But this season he was such a mess for the first couple of months (ERA 10.11) that the Reds sent him back to Rookie Ball in Arizona to basically try and unplug and reset.
In three September starts he has a 1.72 ERA. Good for him.
He began this season as their No. 2 pitching prospect, right behind Rhett Lowder.

I expected Lowder in the rotation to start next year even if Williamson was healthy. He is the future and hasn't done anything to lose a spot. If anything, it will give Ashcraft one last shot to prove himself as a 5th starter now. Likely comes down to whoever has the hotter ST between him and Aguiar. Lodolo is one they need to seriously consider with a move to the bullpen if he winds up having another injury plagued season. Through 3 years, he has proven not to be durable enough for an entire season despite looking dominant at times out there on the mound.

Junis will be a long reliever out of the bullpen like Martinez was early on in this season who you can call on for emergency starts. I believe you have to look at the guy's overall track record throughout his career. He is killing it right now, but there is nothing to suggest he can keep up long-term pitching scoreless or 1 run ball games as he has in the 2nd half this year. He will come back down to earth.

Maybe this guy gets it together.

Good news Down on the Farm:
23-year old RHP Connor Phillips was dealing last night Louisville Bats: 6 IN, 2 R, 0 BB, season high 9 K and 15 swings and misses.
He was a Top 75 prospect last year when he was forced into action when the Cincinnati Reds rotation was on the IL and dealing with Covid. He started Game 161 and it was a disaster vs the Cardinals: 3 batters, 12 pitches/0 strikes/3 walks. Done.
But this season he was such a mess for the first couple of months (ERA 10.11) that the Reds sent him back to Rookie Ball in Arizona to basically try and unplug and reset.
In three September starts he has a 1.72 ERA. Good for him.
He began this season as their No. 2 pitching prospect, right behind Rhett Lowder.
With the AAA season winding down Sunday, wouldn't mind seeing Connor get a start with the Reds to see where he is at. They will have to fill the void somewhere with Williamson hurt. Sounds like Greene will take either Williamson or Cruz's starts leaving one more open. Still time left for Phillips to be a contributor at the MLB level being only 23 years old. He made the proper adjustments to get back on track. Good on him!

Reactions: assistbyhawkins
Congrats to Elly for now having the most strikeouts ever by a switch hitter in the NL....it was 189 and this one slipped by as he flew past it to his current # of 204.

2 more K's and he will have the Reds all time record which is now 205 by Drew Stubbs.

There is an outside shot he breaks the MLB record of 223 by Mark Reynolds, but I doubt he will play in each of the last 8 games in order to get it.

6 scoreless innings, 2 hits and no walks vs the Pirates for Nick Martinez. Keeps getting the job done no matter how tough or weak the opponent is. He can opt out, the Reds still re-sign him, but it is getting more and more unlikely with each performance like this. He'll get a better contract from some team willing to pay him. Great game for Stephenson 3 hits with a home run, 5 runs drove in and a 3-run double. EDLC 100th career stolen base. India 2 hits, HR.

Last edited:
Congrats to Elly for now having the most strikeouts ever by a switch hitter in the NL....it was 189 and this one slipped by as he flew past it to his current # of 204.

2 more K's and he will have the Reds all time record which is now 205 by Drew Stubbs.

There is an outside shot he breaks the MLB record of 223 by Mark Reynolds, but I doubt he will play in each of the last 8 games in order to get it.
Do you even realize how stupid you sound posting this shit? Nobody gives a crap about strikeouts in the modern game today. It's what you do when you hit the ball. You claim to know so much about baseball but you keep saying the same thing over and over and nobody cares. Here's a paragraph I found today after the Reds win.

De La Cruz reached yet another milestone on Saturday, becoming the youngest player in MLB history with 25 homers and 60 stolen bases in a season. He also joins Ronald Acuna Jr. and Joe Morgan as the only players with 35 doubles, 25 homers and 60 stolen bases in a season. De La Cruz tied his season high in RBI with four, both instances coming over his last eight games.

Reactions: maysvilleky
Why in the hell has Skip Schumaker's name been mentioned as if he is a legit candidate for this job? Marlins are 57-99 and his team last year wasn't much better than the Reds who barely got by Cincinnati for a playoff spot in '23. Get a veteran manager. Don't screw this up. Even he knows his current job status in Miami is not safe. The fire sale excuse is not valid, Bell dealt with that here too. So why would people mention Skip's name like Bob Nightengale and that garbage Blog Red Machine site.

Last edited:
Why in the hell has Skip Schumaker's name been mentioned as if he is a legit candidate for this job? Marlins are 57-99 and his team last year wasn't much better than the Reds who barely got by Cincinnati for a playoff spot in '23. Get a veteran manager. Don't screw this up. Even he knows his current job status in Miami is not safe. So why would people mention his name like Nightengale and that garbage Blog Red Machine site.

They want someone cheap and a puppet on a string that they can manipulate. Firing Bell is only one part of the problem that had to be addressed. Front Office needs to answer for this organization's failures that go back well before Bell was even hired.

Reactions: vhcat70 and CB3UK
If healthy and want a former Red with a stint about as long as Skip was here as a player. This is the guy. Bring someone like Votto on the staff who is a brilliant baseball mind, groom Votto for a few years and let him take over.

“Was told Tito is going to get healthy and then he’ll be back [managing] in a year and a half,” said Kurkjian. “He loves the game. [It’s] part of his fiber in every way. would not be shocked to see him back.”
Cleveland is another small market team. Spend less money than the Reds do, but are wiser with it. Only 2 of the 11 years he managed them were under .500. Both seasons when he temporarily stepped away. If he is healthy and would want to come out of retirement. Francona should get an interview.

Last edited:
If healthy and want a former Red with a stint about as long as Skip was here as a player. This is the guy. Bring someone like Votto on the staff who is a brilliant baseball mind, groom Votto for a few years and let him take over.

Cleveland is another small market team. Spend less money than the Reds do, but are wiser with it. Only 2 of the 13 years he managed them were under .500. Both seasons when he temporarily stepped away. If he is healthy and would want to come out of retirement. Francona should get an interview.
I wanted Joe Girardi at the time David Bell was hired. Now that he flopped in Philadelphia with their payroll in addition to his underwhelming tenure in New York past the 2009 World Series. His only real experience with a young team was his 1 season with the Marlins, 6 games under .500 but somehow won the manager of the year that season. I'm not so sure he would be a great hire. I know people will say anyone is better than Bell, but the Reds have to do it right. Someone who is proven to develop a young team like these current Reds in the early stages of their careers. Wish Mike Shildt was still available. Even Bob Melvin now in SF had a winning record overall in Oakland despite the nonstop fire sales. Past 3 World Series winning managers Bochy now 69, Snitker 68 and Baker was 73 when Houston won. Hiring first time managers like Bell blew up in the Reds faces. It was past time for a different approach.

Last edited:
Some names on this list are laughable like Jeff Pickler who are the coaches this organization needs to clean house with. Pickler the game plan/fielding coach which says a lot about him on this team as poor as they have performed. Have always wondered if this organization would seriously consider Pat Kelly for the managerial vacancy due to his familiarity with the prospects coming up through the system. Says Larkin would be a long shot and frankly that is fine with me. Only first-time manager as a former Red that would intrigue me is Eric Davis and his knowledge of hitting. Always liked Eric's insight in the past with his past commentary in the booth when he would talk about hitting. Wouldn't mind him as a hitting coach at least.

Ausmus is interesting, though not much of a track record. Only former catcher other than David Ross and Scott Servais who Seattle fired with their putrid offense this year. As far as Ross, not high on my list. Less than impressive tenure with the Cubs considering they still had the core of that World Series team together with him to start. The 2023 season was his best job getting them above .500 with their young stars after the fire sale they had before. Haven't done any better with Counsell as their manager.

Last edited:
Some names on this list are laughable like Jeff Pickler who are the coaches this organization needs to clean house with. Pickler the game plan/fielding coach which says a lot about him on this team as poor as they have performed. Have always wondered if this organization would seriously consider Pat Kelly for the managerial vacancy due to his familiarity with the prospects coming up through the system. Says Larkin would be a long shot and frankly that is fine with me. Only first-time manager as a former Red that would intrigue me is Eric Davis and his knowledge of hitting. Always liked Eric's insight in the past with his past commentary in the booth when he would talk about hitting. Wouldn't mind him as a hitting coach at least.

Ausmus is interesting, though not much of a track record. Only former catcher other than David Ross and Scott Servais who Seattle fired with their putrid offense this year. As far as Ross, not high on my list. Less than impressive tenure with the Cubs considering they still had the core of that World Series team together with him to start. The 2023 season was his best job getting them above .500 with their young stars after the fire sale they had before. Haven't done any better with Counsell as their manager.

Pickler? Can't be serious, have the powers that be not noticed Reds OF defense since he took over that phase?

Reactions: NociHTTP
Do you even realize how stupid you sound posting this shit? Nobody gives a crap about strikeouts in the modern game today. It's what you do when you hit the ball. You claim to know so much about baseball but you keep saying the same thing over and over and nobody cares. Here's a paragraph I found today after the Reds win.

De La Cruz reached yet another milestone on Saturday, becoming the youngest player in MLB history with 25 homers and 60 stolen bases in a season. He also joins Ronald Acuna Jr. and Joe Morgan as the only players with 35 doubles, 25 homers and 60 stolen bases in a season. De La Cruz tied his season high in RBI with four, both instances coming over his last eight games.
Doesn't matter. Cole is full on OCD to the point of real weirdness when it comes to EDLC and Sadak. it's rather disturbing almost. I've never seen someone fixate so hard on one singular player and the TV broadcaster of all people who gets paid handsomely to talk up the team. There were plenty of players, managers and coaches on that team far more deserving of criticism than either of those guys. It's weird.

You left out that EDLC has scored over 100 runs for a team that can't hit as well as your average AAA team, only because he knocked himself in 25 times via HRs. Also has 9 triples last time I checked.

If the Reds don't make the postseason next year and actually advance past a round (which should never be the standard) which hasn't been done since '95, Krall has to go. Been in the organization since 2003 and is as much of the problem as anyone to blame in this mess outside of the cheap skate Castellini's. There were trades that could have been made, especially with the Reds infield prospects in the lower levels and package them with a young pitcher that could have brought in a piece to improve this team.

Last edited:
If the Reds don't make the postseason next year and actually advance past a round (which should never be the standard) which hasn't been done since '95, Krall has to go. Been in the organization since 2003 and is as much of the problem as anyone to blame in this mess outside of the cheap skate Castellini's. There were trades that could have been made, especially with the Reds infield prospects in the lower levels and package them with a young pitcher that could have brought in a piece to improve this team.
When Krall cited "philosophical differences" as one of the reasons for the firing, it is clear the organization is only interested in hiring a 'Yes Man' for the job.

Cleveland is another small market team. Spend less money than the Reds do, but are wiser with it. Only 2 of the 11 years he managed them were under .500. Both seasons when he temporarily stepped away. If he is healthy and would want to come out of retirement. Francona should get an interview.
Francona would be nice, not holding my breath that this organization would even reach out to him. Scott Servais if he brings along a top-notch hitting coach would not be a bad hire. The Mariners offensive slump this year is what led to his dismissal. Managed to have a winning record from 2016-24 in Seattle in a division with Houston dominating much of that time. Only one postseason trip though. I don't expect the Reds are going to go out there and lure a Kevin Cash or Bob Melvin type of manager away. Just setting my expectations realistic while hoping like hell they don't settle for Schumaker.

Last edited:
Francona would be nice, not holding my breath that this organization would even reach out to him. Scott Servais if he brings along a top-notch hitting coach would not be a bad hire. The Mariners offensive slump this year is what led to his dismissal. Managed to have a winning record from 2016-24 in Seattle in a division with Houston dominating much of that time. Only one postseason trip though. I don't expect the Reds are going to go out there and lure a Kevin Cash or Bob Melvin type of manager away. Just setting my expectations realistic while hoping like hell they don't settle for Schumaker.
Francona's 65 and not in the best of health. Don't see it.

Francona's 65 and not in the best of health. Don't see it.

Reds aren't going to reach out to him anyways, even if he was healthy. Age isn't the issue considering the past 3 World Series Champions were older than 65 and have 72 year old Ron Washington managing.
Well, if you read the article I posted Sunday night. Tim Kurkjian, a very reputable analyst on ESPN's MLB coverage who doesn't sling BS around states it is very possible that Terry would manage again if health allows.

An excerpt from the article,
“Was told Tito is going to get healthy and then he’ll be back [managing] in a year and a half,” said Kurkjian. “He loves the game. [It’s] part of his fiber in every way. would not be shocked to see him back.”
"The Guardians are doing quite well with 39-year-old Stephen Vogt as their new manager, sitting at an AL-best 18-7 so far this season. But it sounds like Francona, who has been around Major League Baseball for more than four decades and is still younger than several current MLB managers at 65, is determined to get back into managing as soon as his health allows for it."

Whether he would be interested in the Reds and the FO seriously consider him or not is pure speculation at this point. It does seem like the White Sox do have legitimate interest in talking to Francona for their vacancy as soon as their manager was let go.

I don't get the big deal with Will Venable being a top candidate for managerial jobs just because he is the bench coach of the Rangers who have underachieved this season. As far as I am concerned last year was an anamoly considering it was their only winning season since 2016. They are a veteran team with many of their players coming from other organizations and spend big. Doesn't exactly prove he has a track record of developing talent and make someone a good coach on a team who can spend big which is why I'm not high on Girardi this time around. Not a first time manager but you may look at someone like John Gibbons on the staff with the Mets rookie manager Carlos Mendoza. They went through a fire sale and many thought they wouldn't amount to anything this year.

If they are going to hire a first time manager, The Royals bench coach Paul Hoover who was on the Rays coaching staff. Oakland (Dave Bush) & Detroit (George Lombard) both teams have been better in the 2nd half and their young players have definitely taken a step forward in 2024. Lastly, Tampa Bay's pitching coach Kyle Snyder at the rate they turn out quality pitchers over the years and their bench coach Rodney Linares. Linares worked with many of Houston's star players when they came through the Minor Leagues.

"You owe it to yourself, you owe it to your fans to call Terry Francona and say 'are you interested in coming back to manage in the big leagues?'" Brennaman said on Off The Bench. "Any team that has a managerial vacancy now or down the road—and I think they'll probably be some more. I think you owe it to yourself to place that call and see if he's interested in coming back."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT