ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

How long are we gonna have to wait to see De La Cruz at SS? Barrero ain't the long term answer I fear; his bat is just nonexistent.

If I were to bet, would say in June sometime unless he forces their hand with an incredible Spring Training like India did in 2021. Can't see how they can justify keeping him down the entire season especially with McLain & Marte to be in the equation in the near future. Had another impressive showing in the Dominican Winter League.

Last edited:
Just came to post the same thing. Reds sign Luke Maile to backup C role behind TySteve. Pretty sweet to have a Cat on the roster!

Good signing to take some of the load off Stephenson and a competent backup catcher. Still going to hope like hell Tyler stays relatively healthy for the most part until Tanner, Nelson, Vellojin or Miller can take over and push Stephenson to DH. Need CES at 1st more with the abundance of prospects on the left side of the infield.

Former Cat Collin Cowgill. McKeithan hitting coach. @kybloo92 hit the nail on the head with that one.
I was hoping for someone else like many were but the writing was on the wall once they announced that Joel would be retained after firing Zinter. It's a predictable outcome by the Reds to hire the assistant of the hitting coach they fired. Nothing like hiring Terry Bradshaw who even the basement dweller Kansas City Royals shit canned less than 2 months into last season.

317602437_10160611192937472_8924104847032425187_n.jpg

An article that I read today seems to suggest McKeithan played a huge role in Drury's turn around with the Reds this past season. If so, that was one hell of a job seeing as how Brandon had never played so well in his career as he did with the Reds. Hope for the best with his promotion. Senzel & Moustakas are a lost cause. He'll have his work cut out with youngsters like Barrero, Siani & Fairchild but it's not too late with them.

Stuart a former top 10 prospect before being bounced around needs a chance over players like Senzel & Friedl that Reds know what they have with them before writing Stuart off. His ceiling is probably that of Fraley or Naquin best case scenario.. Fact of the matter is there aren't many options right now unless the Reds do indeed sign a free agent.

Doesn't appear like Conforto is happening. Seeing the Mariners, Astros & Cubs linked to him. He's a Seattle native too and they could use a boost since they weren't happy with Winker last year and he's having neck surgery after a knee operation. Still interested in Wil Myers or Adam Duvall. Doubt they splurge for Bellinger though he wants a 1 year deal. A case could be made for him that if he wants to boost his power numbers in a small park that favors lefties, come here for 1 season and get paid after padding your stats in GABP. Like I said, won't happen though someone like Wil Myers should consider. Also gives you versatility in the corner IF spots.

An article that I read today seems to suggest McKeithan played a huge role in Drury's turn around with the Reds this past season. If so, that was one hell of a job seeing as how Brandon had never played so well in his career as he did with the Reds. Hope for the best with his promotion. Senzel & Moustakas are a lost cause. He'll have his work cut out with youngsters like Barrero, Siani & Fairchild but it's not too late with them.

Stuart a former top 10 prospect before being bounced around needs a chance over players like Senzel & Friedl that Reds know what they have with them before writing Stuart off. His ceiling is probably that of Fraley or Naquin best case scenario.. Fact of the matter is there aren't many options right now unless the Reds do indeed sign a free agent.

Doesn't appear like Conforto is happening. Seeing the Mariners, Astros & Cubs linked to him. He's a Seattle native too and they could use a boost since they weren't happy with Winker last year and he's having neck surgery after a knee operation. Still interested in Wil Myers or Adam Duvall. Doubt they splurge for Bellinger though he wants a 1 year deal. A case could be made for him that if he wants to boost his power numbers in a small park that favors lefties, come here for 1 season and get paid after padding your stats in GABP. Like I said, won't happen though someone like Wil Myers should consider. Also gives you versatility in the corner IF spots.
Fine with Fairchild getting playing time as a 4th/5th option in the outfield with the roster as it stands. I would imagine though playing time will be a free for all between him, Siani, Solak & Senzel. Would be surprised if an outfielder isn't added between winter meetings and the start of ST to go along with Fraley getting the bulk of starts barring a transition isn't made by an infielder or an outfield prospect like McGarry getting called up. Also would be surprised at this point if Cueto doesn't sign with Cincinnati.

Reds OF needs a complete rebuild. Would hold onto Fraley or Siani, all others need to go.

It's crappy to read/hear all the FA talk and not see Reds mentioned.....at all.
It does need a complete rebuild for sure. Unlikely to happen in 2023 unless prospects are called up in the place of the current ones on the roster. Certainly wish the Reds were in the mix of the FA talk like they were going in on Castellanos and the current mistake Moustakas. Until he's gone, spending big on Reds terms is a pipe dream.

Reactions: mrschwump
I don't subscribe to the Cincinnati Enquirer but saw an article today with the headline about Barrero putting in extra time with McKeithan while preparing for winter ball. It can only help the Reds if something clicks for him between now and Opening Day.

Hoping for the best. If he can hit at least .260, 18-25 home runs and given Farmer only had 78 RBIs as the team leader, some where in that range would be good for Cincinnati in 2023. Hell it would be great if the work he's doing with McKeithan turn into the 2022 Drury as a best case scenario.

Also hope he puts in some work in the outfield again. I know he is known for his reputation on defense. With the logjam of infield prospects and these days many players rotating between the IF & OF, it would help him get consistent at-bats.

I don't subscribe to the Cincinnati Enquirer but saw an article today with the headline about Barrero putting in extra time with McKeithan while preparing for winter ball. It can only help the Reds if something clicks for him between now and Opening Day.

Hoping for the best. If he can hit at least .260, 18-25 home runs and given Farmer only had 78 RBIs as the team leader, some where in that range would be good for Cincinnati in 2023. Hell it would be great if the work he's doing with McKeithan turn into the 2022 Drury as a best case scenario.

Also hope he puts in some work in the outfield again. I know he is known for his reputation on defense. With the logjam of infield prospects and these days many players rotating between the IF & OF, it would help him get consistent at-bats.
Would love for the light to come on for Barrero. Great athlete, can do a lot of things....if he could just hit.

Thought DLC, Marte, McClain would get some OF time in winter ball. None did but Marte did play some 3B, McClain 2B. Hoping the Reds have a plan for those guys, would honestly be surprised if they did.

Only a few days away from the Rule 5 draft.

Major league phase. Any player not on the 40 man roster can be claimed. You have to have an open spot on your roster to claim someone. If you claim a player, they have to remain in your active 26 man roster all season or have to be returned to their original team. There are only a few players I am worried about losing. Ivan Johnson, Ryan Nutof and TJ Hopkins.

Minor league phase. Any player, not on the 40 man roster or on the AAA Louisville roster is at risk. Basically, the Reds can protect 78 players, if I’m understanding it right. ( I’m asking around, I’m not sure if the 14 players that are on the 40 man roster but not on the 26 man active roster count against the 38 that can be protected or not. I’ll let you know as soon as I get an answer) Just like in the Major league phase, you have to have openings in the AAA roster to claim anyone. Look for the Reds to add players from lower levels to the AAA roster to protect them. If you select a player in the minor league phase, they can be placed at any level. I look for the Reds to lose and gain a few players in the minor league phase. I’m not really worried about losing anyone in the minor league phase, if any significance, We can protect at least 20 players (maybe 34 if players on the 40 man roster but not on the active roster don’t count) if we lose anyone, it’s probably because the Reds think they can get someone better in the draft.

Players that have to be protected,

James Free
Daniel Vellojin
Michel Triana
Ivan Johnson
Quincy McAfee
Nick Quintana
Nickolas Northcut
TJ Hopkins
Drew Mount
Brian Rey
Quin Cotton
Ashton Creal
Randy Wynn
Eduardo Salazar
Connor Curlis
Tanner Cooper
Jacob Heatherly
Daniel Duarte
Michael Byrne
Eddy Demurias
Andy Fisher
Ryan Nutof
Pedro Garcia
Nick Howard
Evan Kravetz
Spencer Stockton
Luis Mey
Jayvien Sandridge

DLC did play winter ball. He’s already been shut down tho. Tore it up.
He certainly was impressive and made some big time plays while down there in the Dominican League. I made some posts on here periodically updating his run in the Dominican and some highlights posted a few pages back for anyone that wants to see.

I collect the Bowman draft cards on the Reds prospects too and bought the ones for CES/Marte and the recent trade acquisitions of the cards from their former teams. Hoping they release some updated Reds cards one them. Splurged for an ELDC one and sent to Chattanooga for Abbott to sign one. It's a waste of time & money sending to the rest of them. Stand a better chance in-person getting them signed.

Back to CES, like mrschwump said he should be the future replacement for Votto at 1B. Very intrigued by his solid overall numbers and big time power. Really no reason why him & ELDC are not in Cincinnati by 2023. I'd be fine if they skipped AAA like Atlanta did with Vaughn Grissom & Michael Harris but don't think this organization has the gumption to do that.

thumbnail10-3-2022.jpg
DLC
Good to see him do something before getting out of there. McLain hitting .190 overall in the AFL. Hoping something clicks between now and ST for a player Cincinnati desperately needs to come through.

Put it on there, saw Marte ground out hitting a putrid .211 going into the Championship game. Changed the channel. Don't know what's up with that as Cincinnati's #2 prospect.

Overall there hasn't been much to crow about the performances of the Reds prospects. Roa has gotten smoked with a 19.13 ERA (17 earned runs in 4 starts), Gozzo 8.71, Benschoter 4.73, Timpanelli with an 8.00 ERA. Wasting spots experimenting with position players as pitchers when players like Boyle, Petty, Abbott, Bonnin & Phillips should have been fast tracked.

Sure it's a small sample size at the end of the season but for many of these guys, it's just an extension of the disappointing overall regular seasons they had this
Karcher and his 128 BBs in 143 career IP and Richardson and his 5-19 career W-L record...these guys will fit right in.
They had to protect Lyon Richardson. He would have been taken. You don’t worry about win, loss totals in A ball. Most pitchers ain’t allowed to go enough innings to get a win even if they are having a good game. Supposed to be throwing up to 99 MPH after his Tommy John surgery.

If you read my posts here, I've not one time called for Krall's head and praised his job restocking the farm system. Half way up the page I suggested letting the man do his job so save your snide remarks. That's all you do here to anyone who doesn't tow the company line. Hoffman was under team control through 2024 and cutting him now after a career season is just laughable. A typical Reds move just like ditching Barnhart this time last year and left Cincinnati in a bind once Stephenson went down. Sorry if I'm not impressed by a soon to be 23 year old minor leaguer with an ERA above .500.
Barnhart was going to be paid 7 or 7.5 million. Can’t give that to a backup catcher. Trading him was the right thing to do.

Don't see TS as an OFer, would like to see him as 1B/DH. He seems to be adamant about catching however even tho a move to 1B would likely prolong his career. Hoping for CES at 1B by the end of the year. Votto DH only IMO. Don't see Steer as a 1B, arm and range dictates 2B.
Don’t be surprised if Encarnacion Strand comes up at 3B next season.

With the shift restrictions coming, I wonder if India will be able to stick at 2B. He's one of the worst rated defensive players at 2B anyway. Defense should be valued more moving forward at 2B for big league clubs. Does he get a look in the outfield?
I heard India on a podcast saying injuries really hurt his defense last season. Without looking up his stats, I remember him being better in 2021

How long are we gonna have to wait to see De La Cruz at SS? Barrero ain't the long term answer I fear; his bat is just nonexistent.
If he’s not up in the first 15 days, which I don’t think he will be, don’t look for him till after the all star break. With the new rules, if he’s not up in time for 2023 to be counted as a full season, the Reds wouldn’t get draft pick compensation if he weee to finish in the top 2-3 of the ROY voting but would lose a year of control anyway. Would be crazy to bring him up till you were sure that wouldn’t happen.

Don’t be surprised if Encarnacion Strand comes up at 3B next season.
I would be absolutely surprised if he is at 3B next season with Steer, Newman, Barrero, possibly McLain & ELDC all on the left side of the infield. He is most likely the starting 1B of the future in Cincinnati.

Reactions: mrschwump
Barnhart was going to be paid 7 or 7.5 million. Can’t give that to a backup catcher. Trading him was the right thing to do.
It's all water under the bridge now and this conversation took place over a month ago.... It gets lost upon so many Reds fans his value as a gold glove catcher and his presence would have been crucial for the development of a young pitching staff. The revolving door at catcher in 2022 is something that should never be repeated again and the Reds know this by even reaching out to Barnhart this offseason, trading for Romine at the deadline and signing Luke Maile to replace him. Tucker's 2022 contract excuse is horse shit to me when you go out a waive Wade Miley only to go acquire a dead weight pitcher in Mike Minor who cost as much. Which one would have had more value in 2022 to the Reds? The answer is an easy one.

Like I said to anyone who doesn't feel the same, agree to disagree. The ship has sailed and Maile is the backup catcher now. Barnhart would've been a starting catcher last year and received quite a bit of PT with the injury history with Stephenson who needs to be moved from behind the plate ASAP to protect his bat long term. Best hitter in the lineup.

Last edited:
If he’s not up in the first 15 days, which I don’t think he will be, don’t look for him till after the all star break. With the new rules, if he’s not up in time for 2023 to be counted as a full season, the Reds wouldn’t get draft pick compensation if he weee to finish in the top 2-3 of the ROY voting but would lose a year of control anyway. Would be crazy to bring him up till you were sure that wouldn’t happen.
Worth the risk to me. As @mrschwump said all year long, the Reds rarely keep them that long anyways before shipping them out in a trade before they become an UFA. IMO, ELDC is easily in the Top 3 in receiving votes for the rookie of the year and an additional draft pick to build up in the system while he is here is a great incentive that was agreed upon in the last CBA.

And Marte played 3B almost exclusively in AFL.
On top of drafting 2 3B in the 1st round of 2022. CES has to be the 1B of the future. To me, it's not about whether he is better than someone currently occupying a position at the MLB level now. We know there are plenty of prospects with a higher ceiling than guys on the roster now. Cincinnati has to start finding ways to keep their best players on the field and get consistent at-bats. It's also why I don't want to give up on Barrero yet and hope he plays some in the outfield again in 2023 to make way for the infielders.

Worth the risk to me. As @mrschwump said all year long, the Reds rarely keep them that long anyways before shipping them out in a trade before they become an UFA. IMO, ELDC is easily in the Top 3 in receiving votes for the rookie of the year and an additional draft pick to build up in the system while he is here is a great incentive that was agreed upon in the last CBA.

On top of drafting 2 3B in the 1st round of 2022. CES has to be the 1B of the future. To me, it's not about whether he is better than someone currently occupying a position at the MLB level now. We know there are plenty of prospects with a higher ceiling than guys on the roster now. Cincinnati has to start finding ways to keep their best players on the field and get consistent at-bats. It's also why I don't want to give up on Barrero yet and hope he plays some in the outfield again in 2023 to make way for the infielders.
McGarry could get a shot at 1B too. Reds are really hurting in the OF with very limited MLB talent there plus the higher minor league team are lagging also. Reds best OF talent is in low minors, probably at least 3 years away.

Verlander to Mets, Turner to Phillies. Reds sign...................................

McGarry could get a shot at 1B too. Reds are really hurting in the OF with very limited MLB talent there plus the higher minor league team are lagging also. Reds best OF talent is in low minors, probably at least 3 years away.

Verlander to Mets, Turner to Phillies. Reds sign...................................
McGarry needs to be on the roster in 2023 as the article I posted a couple times this year says he would be eligible for the Rule 5 Draft if not protected by the end of next season. It's time the Reds start seeing what players like McGarry can offer with plenty of vacancies when Fraley is the only one I am comfortable with based on his 2nd half in 2022.

Hopefully Cueto can be a veteran presence and an innings eater if the Reds sign him. Not an over the hill Mike Minor that missed half a season and could count on one hand the amount of quality starts he gave the Reds. There are starting pitchers like Stout, Williamson etc who need to be called up in 2023, give them their chances so that prospects in the lower levels of the farm system can move up. The Reds are deep with their pitching depth and infielders. Wish it were the same for the outfield.

DLC

They had to protect Lyon Richardson. He would have been taken. You don’t worry about win, loss totals in A ball. Most pitchers ain’t allowed to go enough innings to get a win even if they are having a good game. Supposed to be throwing up to 99 MPH after his Tommy John surgery.
Hopefully his arm injuries are behind him, nothing lingering going forward with a clean bill of health in 2023 and start showing some consistency. It's great that he can throw 99 MPH..needs to lower the number of BB/hit batters which were an issue pre-TJ surgery.

I would be absolutely surprised if he is at 3B next season with Steer, Newman, Barrero, possibly McLain & ELDC all on the left side of the infield. He is most likely the starting 1B of the future in Cincinnati.
I think he’s at 1B when Votto is gone but that won’t be next season.

I wouldn’t bring EDLC up until September. He had a 32% K rate last season. There are legit reasons to keep him down. No reason to start his clock when the Reds ain’t contending. We already lost a year of control of Greene and Lodolo for nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT