ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Interesting that Senzel breaks his toe on CF fence considering that he shied away from the fence all year. He allowed several batted balls to hit the bottom of the fence or bounce off the track then the fence this year instead of making a play on them. More and more unlikely they'll ever get anything for him.

So do the Reds call up Siani or try to finish the year with Dawson or Piscotty?

307534212_10160871000473760_8161581252145635411_n.jpg

One of the more sensible free agent signings that helped this franchise leading right up to the Chapman era. I was stunned when they splurged for him. Those were some rough years leading up to him being signed with the closer by committee approach primarily between Todd Coffey & David Weathers by the time the Reds released Danny Graves.

Votto meeting with the fans is really cool and the Reds need more fan friendly connections between the players and fan base during times like these. From some of my own experiences, the Reds players and organization don't do enough for the common fan so this right here is awesome.

It's bullshit it took Senzel getting injured and get out of the way for Siani to get called up. As I previously said, there were more ways to get him his quota of at-bats before the season ending injury.

Reactions: mrschwump
It's bullshit it took Senzel getting injured and get out of the way for Siani to get called up. As I previously said, there were more ways to get him his quota of at-bats before the season ending injury.
Just goes to show they had no real plans to call up any more prospects in the system with a future in the organization.

It's absolutely ridiculous, Moustakas & Minor nearly $30 million combined this year and Castillo signs a 5-year extension that Cincinnati could have afforded if they weren't paying these two POS.

It's absolutely ridiculous, Moustakas & Minor nearly $30 million combined this year and Castillo signs a 5-year extension that Cincinnati could have afforded if they weren't paying these two POS.

It's so easy to see why the Reds are in the shape they're in. Sad thing is there's no chance to fix this mess with the current ownership/FO. Improvement is far, far away.

Reactions: kybloo92
It's so easy to see why the Reds are in the shape they're in. Sad thing is there's no chance to fix this mess with the current ownership/FO. Improvement is far, far away.
Agreed, so frustrating to see our favorite players that actually are good go finish their career somewhere else. I don't want to hear anyone say how Castillo helped the Reds replenish the farm system when all they did was acquire shortstops with no apparent plan of converting any to another position in the immediate future. Never bought into Moustakas, even with Milwaukee/Kansas City and Mike Minor is one of the most bonehead trades they've ever made. Between them you could have kept your ace Castillo. Like Castellanos said, you don't know what you can afford if you don't communicate.

This one is a stretch. Honestly look back at this move as a disappointment. Was brought in for his gold glove defense and that damn error in game 3 vs the Giants cost the Reds a playoff series win. An error in Game 1 too and 2 errors in 2010 NLDS vs the Phillies. Let one of the best power hitters in the game for nearly a decade go with Edwin Encarnacion. Another example of a Red who leaves here and thrives. Would've been a natural fit at DH today in GABP.

307710064_10160874319728760_1326932336231067147_n.jpg

This one is a stretch. Honestly look back at this move as a disappointment. Was brought in for his gold glove defense and that damn error in game 3 vs the Giants cost the Reds a playoff series win. An error in Game 1 too and 2 errors in 2010 NLDS vs the Phillies. Let one of the best power hitters in the game for nearly a decade go with Edwin Encarnacion. Another example of a Red who leaves here and thrives. Would've been a natural fit at DH today in GABP.

307710064_10160874319728760_1326932336231067147_n.jpg
The Reds may be shit now but have one of the best traditions in all of baseball. No need to water it down with guys just trying to hang on at the tail end of their career. At least Cordero is 2nd all-time in saves for Cincinnati but the all-time saves leader Danny Graves isn't in the Reds Hall of Fame.

I'd like to know what it's like to play in the playoffs instead of a place in the Bottom Five.

The Reds may be shit now but have one of the best traditions in all of baseball. No need to water it down with guys just trying to hang on at the tail end of their career. At least Cordero is 2nd all-time in saves for Cincinnati but the all-time saves leader Danny Graves isn't in the Reds Hall of Fame.
Danny Graves should be fortunate they even let him cover pregame/postgame shows for a few years after flipping the bird to the fans in his disastrous ending in a Reds uniform.

Definitely. Nice bounce back game too for Lodolo.
If Lodolo & Greene can manage to pitch quality starts to close the season, Lodolo keep his ERA below 4.00 and Hunter get it around 4.50, all things considered I'll be satisfied. It will be close to my preseason predictions/expectations for the 2 of them. Anything more like an ERA under 3.00, 12-15 wins in tear down mode with bullshit catchers is simply unrealistic.

Last edited:
If Lodolo & Greene can manage to pitch quality starts to close the season, Lodolo keep his ERA below 4.00 and Hunter get it around 4.50, all things considered I'll be satisfied. It will be close to my preseason predictions/expectations for the 2 of them. Anything more like an ERA under 3.00, 12-15 wins in tear down mode with bullshit catchers is simply unrealistic.
Lodolo looks great, Greene....not sold on him. Not sure he can hold up thru 30-35 starts/year, think he's very likely to break down. Still think he'll end up in the pen. Then there's guys like Overton/Dunn et al. I'm not sure their FB is even college average, definitely not MLB average.

Lodolo looks great, Greene....not sold on him. Not sure he can hold up thru 30-35 starts/year, think he's very likely to break down. Still think he'll end up in the pen. Then there's guys like Overton/Dunn et al. I'm not sure their FB is even college average, definitely not MLB average.
Not worried about Greene. I believe he is going to excel in the majors and plenty of time to grow. Not the worst of seasons by any stretch of the imagination. If he's dealing with arm injuries again in 2023 then I'll get concerned. As for now, Lodolo, Ashcraft & Greene all missed significant time and Greene has pitched more innings than anyone on this team to date.

Only worried about him holding up for the first few years of his career and if he does that, Cincinnati won't be able to afford him should he become the ace he is expected to be. After that, any injuries are someone else's problem. If he does, you can bet your ass the Reds aren't keeping him and the next trade chip to restock the farm system with more shortstops.

Last edited:
Whoda thunk it? Cleveland to the playoffs with small payroll and youngest team.
Re-tooling done the right way without a rebuild. Just 1 season under .500 in the last decade and it was 80-82 last year. Let the players you know you can't afford go with a good haul in return while keeping your Cy Young Award winner Shane Bieber and a 4-time All-Star Jose Ramirez with 3 silver sluggers. Instead Cincinnati loses multiple aces, 2 NL All-Star starters but by all means lets turn the roster around to a beer league softball team with dead weight Moustakas, Minor and waiver wire scrubs.

What a mess! Monday's Reds-Pitt game...can the Reds go any lower? I somehow think they haven't got it out of their system just yet. That "performance" was downright Bad News Bearish, terrible defense, collapse of the BP and a FO that doesn't understand they're supposed to be building a ML team, not International League challengers. God, this is awful, awful baseball.

Not worried about Greene. I believe he is going to excel in the majors and plenty of time to grow. Not the worst of seasons by any stretch of the imagination. If he's dealing with arm injuries again in 2023 then I'll get concerned. As for now, Lodolo, Ashcraft & Greene all missed significant time and Greene has pitched more innings than anyone on this team to date.
Greene was pretty much forced not to miss a start until his arm barked and said "Hey, that's enough" In a normal world a rookie like that gets to skip an occasional start so as to not rack up innings and have to be shut down in August. If they can find a competent training staff, maybe the plethora of injuries can be minimized some and guys like Greene, Lodolo, AshCraft can get an occasional rest between starts.

Re-tooling done the right way without a rebuild. Just 1 season under .500 in the last decade and it was 80-82 last year. Let the players you know you can't afford go with a good haul in return while keeping your Cy Young Award winner Shane Bieber and a 4-time All-Star Jose Ramirez with 3 silver sluggers. Instead Cincinnati loses multiple aces, 2 NL All-Star starters but by all means lets turn the roster around to a beer league softball team with dead weight Moustakas, Minor and waiver wire scrubs.
How many shortstops does Cleveland have in their Farm system?

Greene was pretty much forced not to miss a start until his arm barked and said "Hey, that's enough" In a normal world a rookie like that gets to skip an occasional start so as to not rack up innings and have to be shut down in August. If they can find a competent training staff, maybe the plethora of injuries can be minimized some and guys like Greene, Lodolo, AshCraft can get an occasional rest between starts.
"Competent training staff" is really needed. I know with pitchers they are largely an injury waiting to happen but the Reds are having far too many pitchers with bum shoulder/back injuries. Even Welsh mentioned it the other day. Bell apparently said a few days ago the three rooks would have no limitations as far as IP in '23. Reds pitching staff needs major rebuild, they've done nothing in Sept toward that end.

Bell definitely did say they had no plans to skip starts sometime right before the injury which was an obscure statement to make when dealing with any young pitcher let alone one already with a TJ surgery. I'm glad to see Greene come back at the end of the year and has been good in the starts he has made since the debacle vs the Mets on the 4th of July. All but 1 were a quality start. If he can build on that in 2023, stay relatively healthy and the same for Ashcraft/Lodolo, add in Williamson/Roa, etc I like where the young pitchers are headed.

I compared the rookie seasons Kershaw & Greene had, quite similar stat line outside of 0.60 higher ERA. Not saying he'll ever be as great as Kershaw but I compared them since I followed Kershaw/Bruce closely in 2008 as the 'can't miss prospects' that debuted in 2008. Definitely wasn't a Kershaw type season we're accustomed to as a rookie but the point being is there is time to grow and would say Hunter has met my expectations for a pitcher who missed some seasoning with TJ surgery & the 2020 season without MILB. Reconstructive elbow surgery is never good but TJ isn't necessarily a career-ending procedure that it was 15-20+ years ago with advancements overtime.

The Reds certainly have to overhaul their training staff with the plethora of injuries and even if they had kept this team together that started 2022, they were doomed from the start going into the season with all of the injuries they've had. I'm afraid it is too late for Stephenson though and a move from behind the plate is necessary. Need to rotate him & Votto between 1B/DH but with no apparent plan behind the plate I expect more of the same Robsinson, Papierski & Kolozsvary. A competent veteran catcher is needed for these young pitchers and one more hit behind the plate could do Tyler in.

Reactions: trueblujr2
Bell definitely did say they had no plans to skip starts sometime right before the injury which was an obscure statement to make when dealing with any young pitcher let alone one already with a TJ surgery. I'm glad to see Greene come back at the end of the year and has been good in the starts he has made since the debacle vs the Mets on the 4th of July. All but 1 were a quality start. If he can build on that in 2023, stay relatively healthy and the same for Ashcraft/Lodolo, add in Williamson/Roa, etc I like where the young pitchers are headed.

I compared the rookie seasons Kershaw & Greene had, quite similar stat line outside of 0.60 higher ERA. Not saying he'll ever be as great as Kershaw but I compared them since I followed Kershaw/Bruce closely in 2008 as the 'can't miss prospects' that debuted in 2008. Definitely wasn't a Kershaw type season we're accustomed to as a rookie but the point being is there is time to grow and would say Hunter has met my expectations for a pitcher who missed some seasoning with TJ surgery & the 2020 season without MILB. Reconstructive elbow surgery is never good but TJ isn't necessarily a career-ending procedure that it was 15-20+ years ago with advancements overtime.

The Reds certainly have to overhaul their training staff with the plethora of injuries and even if they had kept this team together that started 2022, they were doomed from the start going into the season with all of the injuries they've had. I'm afraid it is too late for Stephenson though and a move from behind the plate is necessary. Need to rotate him & Votto between 1B/DH but with no apparent plan behind the plate I expect more of the same Robsinson, Papierski & Kolozsvary. A competent veteran catcher is needed for these young pitchers and one more hit behind the plate could do Tyler in.
TS said during the TV thing he did a few weeks ago that he now has a plate and screws in his shoulder. My immediate thought was what will that do to his throwing/hitting? I've long called for his move to 1B as it would prolong his career as well as take the fatigue out of the equation per his offensive productivity. Also think the Reds should quickly move to secure him long term. Problem is he's been pretty adamant he wants to remain behind the plate. We'll see.

Reds have a full plate, no question. The entire OF needs to be rebuilt. I think they need to dangle India to secure a competent CF. No way can they go into '23 with the same bunch of 3A/4A guys in the OF. While they're at it they need to bring in an asst coach with knowledge of OF defense. Jeff Pickler isn't getting it done, it's been a problem all year. Reds OF D in Monday's Pitt game was atrocious. They should've used Sept to get a jump start on ST 2023 with young guys, but alas..........

How many shortstops does Cleveland have in their Farm system?

4 in their Top 25 but here's the kicker....They play multiple positions too. What a novel concept.
Here's another good one. Nolan Jones, a natural infielder in Cleveland's farm system. Transitioned from 3B/SS to the outfield in AAA this year and made his MLB Debut in July logging 22 games in right field.

TS said during the TV thing he did a few weeks ago that he now has a plate and screws in his shoulder. My immediate thought was what will that do to his throwing/hitting? I've long called for his move to 1B as it would prolong his career as well as take the fatigue out of the equation per his offensive productivity. Also think the Reds should quickly move to secure him long term. Problem is he's been pretty adamant he wants to remain behind the plate. We'll see.

Reds have a full plate, no question. The entire OF needs to be rebuilt. I think they need to dangle India to secure a competent CF. No way can they go into '23 with the same bunch of 3A/4A guys in the OF. While they're at it they need to bring in an asst coach with knowledge of OF defense. Jeff Pickler isn't getting it done, it's been a problem all year. Reds OF D in Monday's Pitt game was atrocious. They should've used Sept to get a jump start on ST 2023 with young guys, but alas..........
I really wish they'd just move him from behind the plate and bring back Barnhart to bride the gap between the next catchers in the farm system. I'm sure that ship has sailed though and doubt there's interest on both sides but someone like Tucker should be realistic about his worth. For his ability to handle a pitching staff/gold glove defense and not his bat. Getting caught with their pants down without a solid catcher with Stephenson on the shelf can't happen again. One injury from being in the same boat as this year and you'd think they learn. Guess we'll see but not holding my breath for an upgrade in a backup catcher. Likely stick it out with Romine/Stephenson.

It's ashamed that with the pitching depth Cincinnati has that not one of the prospects ever made it up after Dunn. Wouldn't you know the one they call up is likely not to stay in the rotation long term. Hoping McLain or Marte can transition from SS in the Arizona Fall League but also not holding my breath on it either.

Last edited:

They need to hire someone like Mike Cameron with some gold gloves to be the OF coach. I would say Cesar Geronimo but doubt at 74 that's even remotely possible and I don't blame him.

Yeah, with Kuhnel, Gibault, Stricknine on the horizon, not to mention Dowdy, Duarte and Dugger. Open another can of pitchers.
I'm sure the Reds will trade some of the arms coming back in 2023 but the bullpen next year should be better without much effort with Antone, Sims, Hoffman, Santilan all back. Push Cessa back to long relief. Much of the same if the Reds choose to promote quality prospects for the 4-5 starters in the rotation if they aren't stuck on Justin Dunn & another worthless Mike Minor which they most likely will do and hold back well deserving pitchers in the farm system.

Last edited:
Watching Reds-Pitt Wed day game....drives me nuts that Reds continue using Steer/Reynolds at 1B(Steer last night, Reynolds today) with McGarry/BE-S in the minor league system. Once again, a blown opportunity for losers to get an early start on '23. SMH.

Reactions: CalCat57
ADVERTISEMENT