ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Sanmartin received 2 starts at the end of September last year. Pitched great. Brandon Williamson, Roa, etc have to be wondering why the hell they can't get 1 start at the MLB level. Would pitching against the Pirates be that much of a stretch over some quality AAA team? Not buying this player's clock/time of service excuse of keeping guys in the minors. We know the Reds will move the good ones long before any of that matters. Hoffman made his debut in 2016 with 2 more years of arbitration. Won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2025!! Luis Cessa debut in 2016 and UFA in 2024. Castillo UFA in 2024. A spot start will not kill these prospects. Just more excuses for the FO to sit on their ass and lose.

Last edited:
Last night Larkin and crew were pumping up the Reds farm system and the trades the Reds made at the deadline. That's great and all to have a loaded farm system but keeping top prospects in the system forever is one issue. It's another when this franchise every 3-4 years enters rebuild mode. This is not a model for consistency or sustained success whatsoever. I give the Reds all the credit that's due for restocking the pipeline but pushing this bullshit narrative of waiting for the next group to arrive has been stale for decades now when you keep trading off the core of each team to build around. No one under 32 was even born the last time the Reds won a World Series. My guess would be by the time Stewart, Collier and Arroyo arrive to Cincinnati, they will never play with guys like India or Stephenson before there's another fire sale.
Noticed the Reds have moved Siani from AA to AAA and Hinds from High A to AA but, dammit, DLC/CE-S should've been in AAA the last month. Fast track those guys instead of burying them. AAA for 6 weeks, AFL then ST invite with intentions they'd be starting '23 with the Reds.

Heard TS mention he now has a plate and screws in his shoulder. What does that do to his throwing and swing?

Last edited:
Sanmartin received 2 starts at the end of September last year. Pitched great. Brandon Williamson, Roa, etc have to be wondering why the hell they can't get 1 start at the MLB level. Would pitching against the Pirates be that much of a stretch over some quality AAA team? Not buying this player's clock/time of service excuse of keeping guys in the minors. We know the Reds will move the good ones long before any of that matters. Hoffman made his debut in 2016 with 2 more years of arbitration. Won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2025!! Luis Cessa debut in 2016 and UFA in 2024. Castillo UFA in 2024. A spot start will not kill these prospects. Just more excuses for the FO to sit on their ass and lose.

Yeah, that time of service thing is a crock. If the guy becomes a star the Reds won't resign him because they're too damn cheap. And I saw on another site they have Senzel for another 3 years! So they have a .230s singles hitter who is huge liability on D clogging up their roster for another 3 years. Ugh!!

Noticed the Reds have moved Siani from AA to AAA and Hinds from High A to AA but, dammit, DLC/CE-S should've been in AAA the last month. Fast track those guys instead of burying them. AAA for 6 weeks, AFL then ST invite with intentions they'd be starting '23 with the Reds.

Heard TS mention he now has a plate and screws in his shoulder. What does that do to his throwing and swing?

Yeah, that time of service thing is a crock. If the guy becomes a star the Reds won't resign him because they're too damn cheap. And I saw on another site they have Senzel for another 3 years! So they have a .230s singles hitter who is huge liability on D clogging up their roster for another 3 years. Ugh!!
Absolutely fair points there giving prospects a few weeks at a higher level from August on and later with the fall league then ST. Can buy some valuable experience right there. Really good to see Siani at AAA, hope he has an amazing Spring because he could give this team a huge boost in the outfield.

The Reds can't buy any luck after getting snake bit with Mesoraco's unfortunate injuries now this with Stephenson. Really hope he can hold it together 1 full season until there's clear room with Votto/Moustakas out of the way at 1st. I'd go as far as say make him the DH next year. Doubt they will, just thinking out loud but Cincinnati has to get more than just a veteran presence at catcher now and handle the grind all season long. Barnhart/Casali sure do look nice right now and both free agents. They still can't hit worth a damn but have to look beyond that with the GG defense, ability to handle a pitching staff and Tucker is one of the best. It would make sense to bring one back but making sense is the problem here, and being cheap. Bit them in the ass big time this year.

3 more years of Senzel is crazy. How do they figure these numbers seeing as he was a mid-season call up in 2019, got hurt. Injured again most of 2020-21 and not an UFA until 2025 like Hoffman who debuted in 2016.

Last edited:
Bullshit ass performance today getting punked 10-4 by the only team worse than the Reds in the NL Central and swept 4 games at home by the Pirates. WTFG Reds! WTFG!!

Senzel batting a putrid .230. He's got options, use them and put him in A Ball so we don't have to see his ass again. I know the problem lies within the front office puppets on a string by the Castellini's cheap skate/incompetency and Bell can only do with the product on the field but he is the not the guy who is going to lead the Reds out of this hole we're in. Only here because of Buddy and nepotism. Need a veteran manager like Dusty to come in again in a crucial time of development for these young players in a rebuild. There's one out there in Joe Maddon and he's been praise worthy of the Reds minor league system. The man changed TB & Chicago's fortunes. He deserves a shot. Tired of putting up with mediocrity. Bell is as useful as an empty bench seat.

Someone has to fall on the sword. You can't go into the next season with the same approach when you will trot out the exact same roster in 2023. At the very least, an ultimatum for a coaching staff shake up. Alan Zinter needs to go and should have been replaced as the hitting coach a long time ago. Sonny Gray is gone so Derek Johnson doesn't have the same value and importance as he once did. As the director of pitching, he should relinquish the pitching coach role and bring some fresh blood on the staff.

Bullshit ass performance today getting punked 10-4 by the only team worse than the Reds in the NL Central and swept 4 games at home by the Pirates. WTFG Reds! WTFG!!

Senzel batting a putrid .230. He's got options, use them and put him in A Ball so we don't have to see his ass again. I know the problem lies within the front office puppets on a string by the Castellini's cheap skate/incompetency and Bell can only do with the product on the field but he is the not the guy who is going to lead the Reds out of this hole we're in. Only here because of Buddy and nepotism. Need a veteran manager like Dusty to come in again in a crucial time of development for these young players in a rebuild. There's one out there in Joe Maddon and he's been praise worthy of the Reds minor league system. The man changed TB & Chicago's fortunes. He deserves a shot. Tired of putting up with mediocrity. Bell is as useful as an empty bench seat.
The Senzel apologists were out in full force today: "But, but, but all four of his outs had an exit velo of 95+!!!!!" "But, but, but two balls were caught on the warning track!!!!!" In baseball that's derisively called WTP.....warning track power. Problem with Senzel is he has no trade value. Reds would be lucky to get a PTBNL plus a dozen baseballs from a Low A team. FO is just not ready yet to admit they blew it drafting Senzel so high in '16.

Someone has to fall on the sword. You can't go into the next season with the same approach when you will trot out the exact same roster in 2023. At the very least, an ultimatum for a coaching staff shake up. Alan Zinter needs to go and should have been replaced as the hitting coach a long time ago. Sonny Gray is gone so Derek Johnson doesn't have the same value and importance as he once did. As the director of pitching, he should relinquish the pitching coach role and bring some fresh blood on the staff.
Has never made sense to me to play in a bandbox park but have a roster full of what was once called "Punch and Judy banjo hitters." Pirates hit 8 HRs in the just concluded series. EIGHT. Several Reds minor leaguers had 20+ HRs this season, Christian Encarnacion-Strand had 30. Wonder when, if ever, they'll get a shot in Cincy??

Oh, no question things need to be shaken up with the Reds team. Not holding my breath.

Has never made sense to me to play in a bandbox park but have a roster full of what was once called "Punch and Judy banjo hitters." Pirates hit 8 HRs in the just concluded series. EIGHT. Several Reds minor leaguers had 20+ HRs this season, Christian Encarnacion-Strand had 30. Wonder when, if ever, they'll get a shot in Cincy??

Oh, no question things need to be shaken up with the Reds team. Not holding my breath.
Much in the same way an experienced catcher is needed to develop a young starting rotation. Any rebuild mode needs to be done with a manager that has the experience and track record to change the culture in the locker room. There's no doubt Dusty did that for a few seasons and things spiraled out of control as soon as he was fired. Buck Showalter would have been another good hire seeing how he managed to have 6 winning seasons out of 9 in Baltimore a similar franchise to the Reds. The very least they can do is get a real hitting coach.

You are 100% correct that the Reds ego is in the way with Senzel right now and they need to be held accountable as much as Nick for his shortcomings as it is evident with the prospects in the system not advancing through the pipeline quicker that are legitimately struggling. Many of the Reds actual draft picks right now that did not come from other organizations underachieved this year and for those who did play well weren't rewarded. MLB needs to do what the NBA did a few years back here,

Last edited:
And Please God, let them do something about their strength and conditioning/training staff. The amount of injuries and the insanely long recovery times is off the charts ridiculous.

So what does the 2023 MLB draft look like? The Reds will be getting a top 5 pick without a doubt, If not top 3 before this season is done. are there any College players that will be near MLB ready (1-2 years out max) that can be taken that high? Any quality 3B/SS's gonna be in the draft? Lord knows we need more of them.

Would love to see the Reds target outfielders Dylan Crews, Wyatt Langford or Enrique Bradfield in 2023. If they take a pitcher maybe Dollander out of Tennessee.

So what does the 2023 MLB draft look like? The Reds will be getting a top 5 pick without a doubt, If not top 3 before this season is done. are there any College players that will be near MLB ready (1-2 years out max) that can be taken that high? Any quality 3B/SS's gonna be in the draft? Lord knows we need more of them.
Isn't MLB going to a lottery system in '23? Could mean even as bad as the Reds are they may still fall down the list. And if this is the same guys who drafted Senzel #2 overall it doesn't offer much confidence they'll make a wise choice.

Isn't MLB going to a lottery system in '23? Could mean even as bad as the Reds are they may still fall down the list. And if this is the same guys who drafted Senzel #2 overall it doesn't offer much confidence they'll make a wise choice.
I understand the purpose why MLB has implemented the lottery system but it's still a flawed approach to prevent teams from tanking. No way a team with the 18th worst record should have a shot at the Top 6 picks even if they have a slim to none chance at getting it anyway. The 2008 Chicago Bulls won the #1 pick with 17 chances in the lottery with 1.70% odds at winning compared to the #2 pick Miami Heat with 250 chances. Took Derrick Rose instantly changing the franchise's direction. With MLB these prospects are so far off from reaching the MLB level this could bury small market teams.

Reactions: mrschwump
Arizona Fall League rosters are out. Reds represented by RHPs Timpanelli, Roa, Gozzo and Benschoter plus Marte, McClain and Hinds. Disappointed there's no DLC or CE-S but whatever. Apparently Gozzo was a 1B at Dayton until July. Had 43 BB in 36 IP. UGH!!

Arizona Fall League rosters are out. Reds represented by RHPs Timpanelli, Roa, Gozzo and Benschoter plus Marte, McClain and Hinds. Disappointed there's no DLC or CE-S but whatever. Apparently Gozzo was a 1B at Dayton until July. Had 43 BB in 36 IP. UGH!!
Sounds about like Cincinnati which makes it even more outrageous to have not started a transition from the IF to OF on De La Cruz. They needed an excuse to start Elly in the minors leagues next year and now have their 'excuse'. Hinds really needs the development missing quite a bit of the season with his leg injuries. Maybe McLain is the one that will transition from the infield in Arizona but not holding my breath. Gozzo who will be 26 next year in A Ball is a ridiculous choice when the Reds should be focusing on transitioning infielders to the OF instead of a project 1B to pitcher with the depth within the organization.

Sounds about like Cincinnati which makes it even more outrageous to have not started a transition from the IF to OF on De La Cruz. They needed an excuse to start Elly in the minors leagues next year and now have their 'excuse'. Hinds really needs the development missing quite a bit of the season with his leg injuries. Maybe McLain is the one that will transition from the infield in Arizona but not holding my breath. Gozzo who will be 26 next year in A Ball is a ridiculous choice when the Reds should be focusing on transitioning infielders to the OF instead of a project 1B to pitcher with the depth within the organization.
Silly me, I thought the Reds FO would use fall/winter ball to prepare for '23. Maybe they really are planning on playing seven SSs at the same time.

Silly me, I thought the Reds FO would use fall/winter ball to prepare for '23. Maybe they really are planning on playing seven SSs at the same time.
Jim Day "Don't be surprised if Marte logs a lot of time at 3B." Sadak, "Showing position diversity"

dog-confused.gif

Jim Day "Don't be surprised if Marte logs a lot of time at 3B." Sadak, "Showing position diversity"

dog-confused.gif
I just want them to get past this BS of playing Steer at 1B. Steer will never be the Reds full time 1B, that job's going to CE-S or McGarry, Steer is much better suited for 3B or 2B or maybe LF. I hope they finally get these guys into ST.

I just want them to get past this BS of playing Steer at 1B. Steer will never be the Reds full time 1B, that job's going to CE-S or McGarry, Steer is much better suited for 3B or 2B or maybe LF. I hope they finally get these guys into ST.
I have a feeling McGarry is going to get plucked via Rule 5 next year and at this point if you're Alex, you might want this to happen than get buried in an organization that doesn't value you as one of their top prospects.

Last edited:
I have a feeling McGarry is going to get plucked via Rule 5 next year and at this point if you're Alex, you might want this to happen than get buried in an organization that doesn't value you as one of their top prospects.
Wouldn't be at all surprised, then they can bring back Colin Moran.

Honestly, who wants to play for a FO who cares nothing about winning?

Reactions: kybloo92
@trueblujr2

Reds up two games on the Pirates, battling it out for last place. 16 games to go. What is your prediction? You think they hold on to the lead? haha

@trueblujr2

Reds up two games on the Pirates, battling it out for last place. 16 games to go. What is your prediction? You think they hold on to the lead? haha
Reds will catch them. Do you think the FO will ever get tired of losing?

Helluva way to lose a 1-0 game, on a throwing error, but mores the pity that Senzel/Romine didn't know the rule. SMH.

If the Reds are still dicking off with an outfield of Senzel, Aquino and Friedl next year then what exactly are you accomplishing? Not a damn thing. Not building for baseball. The Castellini regime should be banned from MLB for deliberately throwing games doing their best to destroy this franchise and the lengths they go to do it never ceases to amaze me.

If the Reds are still dicking off with an outfield of Senzel, Aquino and Friedl next year then what exactly are you accomplishing? Not a damn thing. Not building for baseball. The Castellini regime should be banned from MLB for deliberately throwing games doing their best to destroy this franchise and the lengths they go to do it never ceases to amaze me.
Once again Speer is in today's lineup at 1B. That does absolutely nothing, NOTHING, toward rebuilding this team for the future. Speer's future lies at 3B or 2B or maybe LF. It's just amazing they continue pissing away the future.

Reactions: kybloo92
Besides being nothing more than a .220s singles hitter Senzel is the worst base runner I've ever seen in MLB.

Besides being nothing more than a .220s singles hitter Senzel is the worst base runner I've ever seen in MLB.
Of course I'd like some of the prospects in the pipeline more but Fairchild should be getting Senzel's at-bats. 5 home runs in 56 at-bats is a small sample size but he's shown more in that time alone than Nick all year. Need to give him some extended run to end the season to either see what he is worth or rule him out going forward.

Of course I'd like some of the prospects in the pipeline more but Fairchild should be getting Senzel's at-bats. 5 home runs in 56 at-bats is a small sample size but he's shown more in that time alone than Nick all year. Need to give him some extended run to end the season to either see what he is worth or rule him out going forward.
By doing so the FO admits Senzel's a flop and I sense they aren't ready to admit the inevitable. Fairchild has bounced around with multiple organizations this year. But give him his due, he's a scrapper.

BTW, I'm a geezer....Fairchild/Lopez look like middle school kids. :)

By doing so the FO admits Senzel's a flop and I sense they aren't ready to admit the inevitable. Fairchild has bounced around with multiple organizations this year. But give him his due, he's a scrapper.

BTW, I'm a geezer....Fairchild/Lopez look like middle school kids. :)
I still want to see more of him. 72 at-bats in the MLB level. I remember when he was a Top 10 prospect in the Reds organization. I know the Reds still have a hard on for Senzel but it's like they forgotten he was a natural infielder. Not that it's going to make him hit any better but they can still get their quota for Senzel at-bats other places than the OF.

Ugh, Ashcroft gives up 11 hits/8 runs in 2IP in Mon night rehab start. Think he's done for the year?

Ugh, Ashcroft gives up 11 hits/8 runs in 2IP in Mon night rehab start. Think he's done for the year?
Little to gain this late in the season. Rest India too before something serious happens to him lingering into 2023.

Little to gain this late in the season. Rest India too before something serious happens to him lingering into 2023.
Went back and looked at Ashcroft's line. Threw 70 pitches in less than 3 IP. Had no BB but musta been 3-2 on just about everybody. See no sense in trotting him out there again, Dunn either, but whatever.

Stoudt making a AAA start tonight, hoping for success from this guy.

Last edited:
Went back and looked at Ashcroft's line. Threw 70 pitches in less than 3 IP. Had no BB but musta been 3-2 on just about everybody. See no sense in trotting him out there again, Dunn either, buy whatever.

Stoudt making a AAA start tonight, hoping for success from this guy.
Thinking about how many starts Lodolo missed early on, Ashcraft and Greene. A young pitcher like Williamson or Roa would have gained plenty of experience if they had the gumption to reach. You would think the FO would have learned before this year it makes sense to have multiple options ready to go when developing young pitchers but they act like baseball just started being played.

Thinking about how many starts Lodolo missed early on, Ashcraft and Greene. A young pitcher like Williamson or Roa would have gained plenty of experience if they had the gumption to reach. You would think the FO would have learned before this year it makes sense to have multiple options ready to go when developing young pitchers but they act like baseball just started being played.
Reds are nothing more than a Fantasy League team to the FO guys. They just don't give a shit.

Reds are nothing more than a Fantasy League team to the FO guys. They just don't give a shit.
As much as I love watching the Reds, they need to be hit where it counts the most with a damn near empty stadium every night and start blacking out their games on TV like the NFL has in the past. There should be no incentive to just skate by and that's exactly what MLB is allowing owners like the Castellini's to get away with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT