ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

mrschwump

All-American
Nov 4, 2006
Ownership has started dismantling the '21 team, and I'm OK with the Barnhart/Miley moves but sure would be nice if they could get something for them. They need to do whatever it takes to keep Nick C but looks like he's gone too. Saw on mlb.com list of 17 top FAs available and prediction where they'll sign...not a one with the Reds. 2022 not looking promising.

Guess they're gonna ride or die with Suarez at third. He better have a renaissance. Also looks like they are hoping the youngsters start to carry the team. India needs to continue his strong rookie showing. Stephenson needs to stay healthy and up his defense, but he will be a mainstay at catcher for a while. I think moving Miley shows they are ready to promote Hunter Greene and/or Lodolo. Hopefully WInker is healthy and puts up the kind of numbers he did this year again. I wouldn't mind seeing what Barerro could do in CF defensively. I think he's another Billy Hamilton with the bat though. Farmer was serviceable at SS and could stay there or maybe take the OF spot vacated by Castellanos. not sure where Moustakis fits into the equation and if he can come around and have a decent year or not. It will be interesting to see what moves they make to fill spots.

Reds are more inept than they are cheap

They never have a plan to build a ball team, one year they’re going for it, the next they’re selling off parts. Problem is, they never fully enter a rebuild so they’re left middle of the pack

instead of being proactive, they’d rather sit on their hands and pray Suarez and Moustakas get back to where they were in 2019, hope the worst hitting position player (Shogo) figures it out instead of just sending his ass back to japan and eating his contract, etc

I’d be fine if they traded a starting pitcher if you could get a couple young pieces back. I don’t however trust the Reds front office on winning a trade

inept ownership who loves nepotism more than winning

Reactions: CalCat57
I swear I would look more comfortable swinging at major league pitching than Shogo, never seen an outfielder fall away from the plate on every swing, any contact he makes appears purely random to me.

Reds are more inept than they are cheap

They never have a plan to build a ball team, one year they’re going for it, the next they’re selling off parts. Problem is, they never fully enter a rebuild so they’re left middle of the pack

instead of being proactive, they’d rather sit on their hands and pray Suarez and Moustakas get back to where they were in 2019, hope the worst hitting position player (Shogo) figures it out instead of just sending his ass back to japan and eating his contract, etc

I’d be fine if they traded a starting pitcher if you could get a couple young pieces back. I don’t however trust the Reds front office on winning a trade

inept ownership who loves nepotism more than winning
The decisions they made with Moose, Suarez, Shogo and Votto have put the Reds in a bad spot.

Votto had a pretty incredible season this year. The man is the greatest 1B we've ever had.

Frankly if our front office was actually invested in, we...uh.....,investing in the team, then I'd be more apt to be salty about Joey's contract these past several seasons.

Bottom line, he's under contract for 3 more years for $25/$25/$20. He's going to retire a Reds lifer. Meanwhile we're already gutting what semblance of a competitive roster we had. I'd rather see Joey retire a Red because the chance they load up on payroll after this coming season is damn slim. Seeing is believing

Votto had a pretty incredible season this year. The man is the greatest 1B we've ever had.

Frankly if our front office was actually invested in, we...uh.....,investing in the team, then I'd be more apt to be salty about Joey's contract these past several seasons.

Bottom line, he's under contract for 3 more years for $25/$25/$20. He's going to retire a Reds lifer. Meanwhile we're already gutting what semblance of a competitive roster we had. I'd rather see Joey retire a Red because the chance they load up on payroll after this coming season is damn slim. Seeing is believing
I wouldn’t say we’ve “gutted what semblance of a competitive roster we had”

Tucker Barnhart isn’t worth 7 million
Wade Miley isn’t worth 10 million
Castellanos was always going to opt out

a backup catcher can easily be signed. Won’t be as good defensively as Barnhart but TySteve needs every day playing time

Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Reiver Sanmartin, and Graham Ashcraft make letting Miley go an easy decision since you still have Mahle, Castillo, Gray, and Gutierrez

now the issue is replacing Castellanos. We also know Senzel won’t stay healthy past May. And you have two guys who should be shipped to Japan in Aquino and Akiyama unfortunately on the team.

I personally would trade Sonny Gray for a young OF prospect. If the Angels would do Brandon Marsh or Giants for Heliot Ramos, etc

I wouldn’t say we’ve “gutted what semblance of a competitive roster we had”

Tucker Barnhart isn’t worth 7 million
Wade Miley isn’t worth 10 million
Castellanos was always going to opt out

a backup catcher can easily be signed. Won’t be as good defensively as Barnhart but TySteve needs every day playing time

Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Reiver Sanmartin, and Graham Ashcraft make letting Miley go an easy decision since you still have Mahle, Castillo, Gray, and Gutierrez

now the issue is replacing Castellanos. We also know Senzel won’t stay healthy past May. And you have two guys who should be shipped to Japan in Aquino and Akiyama unfortunately on the team.

I personally would trade Sonny Gray for a young OF prospect. If the Angels would do Brandon Marsh or Giants for Heliot Ramos, etc
I like your optimism. Keep feeding it to me bro, I need it. 2 years in a row of the Reds finally getting back to being competitive, I can't go back to the garbage days.

We've made some payroll moves that make sense, as you described....but we haven't done anything remotely adequate to fill it yet. Hopefully this lockout gets settled soon so we start getting some news.

I'm just down about the Reds and Bat Cats prospects tuis coming season. I WANT PLAYOFFS BABY

Reactions: drew_ukfan
I like your optimism. Keep feeding it to me bro, I need it. 2 years in a row of the Reds finally getting back to being competitive, I can't go back to the garbage days.

We've made some payroll moves that make sense, as you described....but we haven't done anything remotely adequate to fill it yet. Hopefully this lockout gets settled soon so we start getting some news.

I'm just down about the Reds and Bat Cats prospects tuis coming season. I WANT PLAYOFFS BABY
I get it, I’ve been watching all 162 Reds games for basically 20 years. I’m gonna watch game 160 even if they’re 0-159, I love it but they are frustrating.

Reds desperately need 2 OFers, preferably both right handed and a about 3 good bullpen arms. That’s not too much to ask for most teams but for Cincinnati, it just ain’t happening. Gotta hope Amir Garrett bounces back, Art Warren and Tony Santillan have similar 2021 seasons but in an extended role, and maybe we sign 1 good arm. I really like Luis Cessa. Sims, Wilson are decent. Some of the other guys, who knows.

I don’t even keep up with the Bat Cats at this point lol

Reactions: CB3UK
I'm the same way. Watch or listen to all of em whether we're in it or not. Best part of spring and summer.

Bat Cats have to step it up. This community will get behind them if they put winning ball out there. Mingione has lost all the momentum he had early with the fanbase.

Still, SEC baseball is as good as it gets at this level. And now Texas and Oklahoma join the schedule. Gonna be worth following once we get a competent staff in here.

Back to the Reds....I agree about Cessa. Garrett lost me as a fan. No idea what happened to him but he either needs to get right or get out.

They were talking about using Barrero in the OF to get him in the lineup. WTF is it with this franchise.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
I'm the same way. Watch or listen to all of em whether we're in it or not. Best part of spring and summer.

Bat Cats have to step it up. This community will get behind them if they put winning ball out there. Mingione has lost all the momentum he had early with the fanbase.

Still, SEC baseball is as good as it gets at this level. And now Texas and Oklahoma join the schedule. Gonna be worth following once we get a competent staff in here.

Back to the Reds....I agree about Cessa. Garrett lost me as a fan. No idea what happened to him but he either needs to get right or get out.

They were talking about using Barrero in the OF to get him in the lineup. WTF is it with this franchise.
Yeah I’m not a Mingione fan at all, for reasons I really don’t want to get into. But, I’d like to try to get down to lex for some games this season

using Barrero in the OF is so foolish. I can’t believe they’ll give the SS job to Kyle Farmer over a top 50 prospect. The organization has talent and the front office consistently throws it away

Reactions: CB3UK
I get it, I’ve been watching all 162 Reds games for basically 20 years. I’m gonna watch game 160 even if they’re 0-159, I love it but they are frustrating.

Reds desperately need 2 OFers, preferably both right handed and a about 3 good bullpen arms. That’s not too much to ask for most teams but for Cincinnati, it just ain’t happening. Gotta hope Amir Garrett bounces back, Art Warren and Tony Santillan have similar 2021 seasons but in an extended role, and maybe we sign 1 good arm. I really like Luis Cessa. Sims, Wilson are decent. Some of the other guys, who knows.

I don’t even keep up with the Bat Cats at this point lol
Trust me, I love the Reds too. But you seriously watch the Reds game when college football gets here? Or the NFL? I understand you can switch back and forth but with college/SEC football on, watching the Reds kills the vibe of a beautiful Saturday in the fall???

Trust me, I love the Reds too. But you seriously watch the Reds game when college football gets here? Or the NFL? I understand you can switch back and forth but with college/SEC football on, watching the Reds kills the vibe of a beautiful Saturday in the fall???
Reds are my favorite team so yes, I would watch them over anyone. But as you said, the power of the remote

Forgot about UT and OU joining the SEC, that will make for a really nice home stand when they show up in Lexington.

There is no question that fans will show up in droves to watch UK if they have a good team, they have drawn 4000+ at the old stadium, I know we can get 6000 at the new stadium. But they have to win . . . .

258053-B2-DA70-477-A-97-C2-E6-A4-B24-A7667.jpg

found this image, thought all you Reds fans would enjoy it. Many forget Griffey and Votto were teammates in 07 and 08 (neither full seasons)

passing of the torch

Any Reds news? Who we shedding?

Sucks that the Yankees aren’t coming to town. What a waste of a year when AL East is on the schedule.

Reds trade Sonny Gray to the Twins.
I really don’t hate this. Sonny can’t last longer than 4 innings anymore and is often injured

another good young arm in return. I think 2025; we start to be serious contenders

I really don’t hate this. Sonny can’t last longer than 4 innings anymore and is often injured

another good young arm in return. I think 2025; we start to be serious contenders
Agree on Gray, not surprised they dumped him.

Contend in 2025? I'm already 75, might as well as kiss my hopes for the Reds having a good team goodbye in my lifetime.

Just finished my fantasy draft. Still pretty jacked up for the season but today's news on Gray was a kick in the junk.

I don't know if guys like Greene and Lodolo are the answer, but my personal opinion is the only way you're going to justify to me not paying Sonny his $10 mil for this year is if you're bringing them up and turning them loose. We saw India, Naquin, Stephenson and Barrero all get the greenlight. Barrero is supposedly being given all the latitude in the world to win the starting job at SS.

More than anything it's getting an 18 yr old prospect in return and the message it sends to the fan base about trying to compete, on top of letting Miley walk, Castellanos undoubetedly signing elsewhere, etc.

We were a few sharp bullpen arms from being pretty good. If Wink and Senzel can stay healthy, Moose at DH....just ridiculous they won't make the financial commitment to get over the hump.

Just finished my fantasy draft. Still pretty jacked up for the season but today's news on Gray was a kick in the junk.

I don't know if guys like Greene and Lodolo are the answer, but my personal opinion is the only way you're going to justify to me not paying Sonny his $10 mil for this year is if you're bringing them up and turning them loose. We saw India, Naquin, Stephenson and Barrero all get the greenlight. Barrero is supposedly being given all the latitude in the world to win the starting job at SS.

More than anything it's getting an 18 yr old prospect in return and the message it sends to the fan base about trying to compete, on top of letting Miley walk, Castellanos undoubetedly signing elsewhere, etc.

We were a few sharp bullpen arms from being pretty good. If Wink and Senzel can stay healthy, Moose at DH....just ridiculous they won't make the financial commitment to get over the hump.
Senzel's not the answer. Look at his limited time last year, he's a pure singles hitter and not much of one at that. Plus he can't stay healthy. '22 looks like yet another rebuild, they're dumping salary left and right, hope Senzel's in that mix soon.

Senzel's not the answer. Look at his limited time last year, he's a pure singles hitter and not much of one at that. Plus he can't stay healthy. '22 looks like yet another rebuild, they're dumping salary left and right, hope Senzel's in that mix soon.
I'm not sure I trust this front office to actually get any value out of a Senzel at this point. Some total clownshow moves lately.

Reactions: mrschwump
I'm not sure I trust this front office to actually get any value out of a Senzel at this point. Some total clownshow moves lately.
About all they can hope to get for Senzel is a couple of Class A borderline prospects. Bite the bullet and dump him.

About all they can hope to get for Senzel is a couple of Class A borderline prospects. Bite the bullet and dump him.
We really need Nick to stay healthy this year and live up to some of the hype. I assume we're gonna start Naquin in right. So if Nick goes down....what are we doing? Shogo? Yikes. Putting Aquino back out there and shifting Naquon or Winker or some such to center?

Hell maybe Kyle Farmer. He plays everywhere. If we've got Barrero at SS and Moose can play any of the bases....lol

We really need Nick to stay healthy this year and live up to some of the hype. I assume we're gonna start Naquin in right. So if Nick goes down....what are we doing? Shogo? Yikes. Putting Aquino back out there and shifting Naquon or Winker or some such to center?

Hell maybe Kyle Farmer. He plays everywhere. If we've got Barrero at SS and Moose can play any of the bases....lol
Don't forget Barrero played some CF last year. I know they want him at SS and actually wish they'd do what the Reds did with Cardenas in the '60s...put him at SS and leave him alone, he eventually became an AS. Unfortunately, it appears it won't matter. Looks as if the Reds will be much closer to the Pirates than the Brewers.

Don't forget Barrero played some CF last year. I know they want him at SS and actually wish they'd do what the Reds did with Cardenas in the '60s...put him at SS and leave him alone, he eventually became an AS. Unfortunately, it appears it won't matter. Looks as if the Reds will be much closer to the Pirates than the Brewers.
Yeah they tried forcing that nonsense when we have an opening at SS. I love Kyle Farmer but he can't be your answer if you're actually trying. Especially when we had a loaded roster of OF already. Turn Barrero loose at SS where he plays elite defense.

Alright now I’m pissed. I love Jesse Winker. What an absolutely pathetic ownership group to trade him just to dump Genos salary

Reactions: deep3
The Reds are a disgrace. How in the hell they expect fans to tune into Bally Sports and pay to watch them at GABP is a joke. Ownership has never given a shit about winning.

Should've cut bait with Moustakas before he lands on the IL in ST sitting next to Senzel. Could've kept multiple players on with Moose's contract. The most expensive free agent signing in Reds history my ass. Our only hope is he strings it together long enough so they can deal him too, for a lefty hitter in someone else's lineup. Still not seeing what everyone else is in Barrero. Farmer is bound to regress as is Naquin. God help us with Shogo & Aquino in the Outfield.

The clock is ticking on Castillo and I don't trust Krall, Williams & the Castellini regime to capitalize on the return for him. My only hope is they're shedding payroll to sell out to new ownership once and for all. However, we're not going to get that lucky. I'd be fine with foreign investors coming in and spending big to help this franchise win. Let's face it, no one rich enough in Cincinnati to make us a viable contender year in and out.

Last edited:
At this point I'll be shocked if Castillo and Mahle are still here by Friday when we playing Cleveland in spring training.

I'm furious but I'm not going to lie. I'm going to listen and watch. I usually go to 5-10 games a year. Will probably be less because of this but honestly ticket prices will be dirt cheap. I know I shouldn't reward Bob, but there really isn't anything better than afternoon at the ballpark.

I may opt to just drive to Louisville and watch all these guys we're mortgaging the roster for instead.

ADVERTISEMENT