ADVERTISEMENT

Recurring dreams

BKH34

Junior
Sep 9, 2015
I feel like a lot of people have their own unique versions of the "still in school" dream, but I had mine last night, in which it's the last week of class - always college for me - and I have a big paper due or it's the day of a big test, only I had been going to a different class all year long and hadn't done any of the work.

I've been out of college for 10 years. I've probably had this specific dream 20 times since then.

This happen to anybody else? Specifically the "still in school" dream?

Yep. Except i am in classes that i need to pass in order to graduate, but have not been sufficiently enough to pass.

Yup. In Final year of Dental school( I graduated in 1980) and not having completed requirements.

Reactions: awf
I feel like a lot of people have their own unique versions of the "still in school" dream, but I had mine last night, in which it's the last week of class - always college for me - and I have a big paper due or it's the day of a big test, only I had been going to a different class all year long and hadn't done any of the work.

I've been out of college for 10 years. I've probably had this specific dream 20 times since then.

This happen to anybody else? Specifically the "still in school" dream?

Thirty years later and I still have the taking the final without ever having been to class dream.

My worse recurring dream deals with a haunted house on a hill. I always park about a mile away and walk up there. Old house, dark with a single light on top floor. I go into house and walk up to the light. Four or five flights of stairs. Then it gets scary.

Very akin to Metallica Unforgiven video.

Last edited:
About four times per year... forgot to go to a class all year and then realized I had a final to take without even knowing where it is. Pretty accurate, actually. Physics 101 and finance 201 I think I went to a combined 4 times. Aced both, of course.

Yep. End of the semester and I have missed the entire class.

I've had that one also, as well as missing a lot of classes or forgetting to go to class and then trying to play "catch-up" in the last day or two, writing and cramming.

I talked to someone about this phenomena recently and apparently the stress you are under as a student imprints your brain in such a fashion that it can produce those types of dreams years or in my case decades later.

About four times per year... forgot to go to a class all year and then realized I had a final to take without even knowing where it is. Pretty accurate, actually. Physics 101 and finance 201 I think I went to a combined 4 times. Aced both, of course.

Then again - skipped most of Calc class (the hard one) freshman year. Got a D. My old man drove me around to the bad parts of town during winter break to show me where I'd be living if I kept it up.

Thirty years later and I still have the taking the final without ever having been to class dream.

My worse recurring dream deals with a haunted house on a hill. I always park about a mile away and walk up there. Old house, dark with a single light on top floor. I go into house and walk up to the light. Four or five flights of stairs. Then it gets scary.

Very akin to Metallica Unforgiven video.

Yup, has the one about the final too.

My dog passed about 4 months ago and it was pretty tough. 3-4 nights a week I have dreams that I either found him or am going somewhere to see him. That’s when I wake up. For a split second I actually believe that I am getting out of bed and going to get him, but then reality sets in :(

Have had the missing classes so I won't be able to graduate dreams.

Has anyone worked as a server? I still get dreams where either I'm taking an order from a table while all of my other tables are getting sat or I'll come out of the kitchen to find all of my tables have been sat. Or just being in the weeds in general.

Anyone else have the teeth falling out dreams? That's a popular one, can't remember what it means but it is amazing how people all have similar dreams.

Once every couple years. Hate that one.

Two others I have:
  1. I am trying to get across a series of creeks and there are huge alligators everywhere. I'm not overly scared/surprised or anything, just thinking, "damn, there are a lot of alligators I need to avoid to get where I'm going.
  2. Tornadoes are outside my house.

Sounds like y’all just a bunch of neurotic, repressed freaks. Sad. I sleep like a baby. Every. Damned. Night.
Most of these dreams seem school related. I assume school wasn't a big part of your life?

1. Going to school and realize that I am forgetting an object of clothing. Run home and put that item on, go back to school and realize I am now missing a different item of clothing. Repeat.

2. Falling from a great height or off of something (building or roller coaster) and I have to land on a trampoline to avoid death. However, trampoline just launches me just as high and I have to keep landing on a trampoline.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Yup, has the one about the final too.

My dog passed about 4 months ago and it was pretty tough. 3-4 nights a week I have dreams that I either found him or am going somewhere to see him. That’s when I wake up. For a split second I actually believe that I am getting out of bed and going to get him, but then reality sets in :(

:cry: Sorry for your loss! Those dreams are some of the roughest and I experience them myself.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
1. Going to school and realize that I am forgetting an object of clothing. Run home and put that item on, go back to school and realize I am now missing a different item of clothing. Repeat.
Pretty close but I’m supposed to check in to a huge football game and am always missing one item, usually helmet, sometimes jersey or whatever. All my family and friends there, coach yelling for me to get in.....run back to the locker room looking for it etc.....miss the game *every* time.

- work dreams. Worked with my Dad for 15 years, even longer counting HS and college. He died suddenly and unexpectedly, unfortunately. Was devastating. Anyways, I have work dreams with him in them all the time, couple times a week. In meetings with him and customers, employees etc....but he rarely talks. 95% of the time he’s just there and says nothing.

Oddly it’s not sad or anything, actually kinda cool to “see” him but we rarley interact. No doubt it’s my subconscious pissed I never got to say goodby to him, but what are you going to do.

I literally had the school dream last week, have that one about 4 times a year. Last weeks I had to present a thesis presentation on my research to get my masters degree and I hadn't done any research at all and had nothing to present. Was a first with that one as it's usually I have to take a final for a class I didn't realize I signed up for.

I also frequently have a driving one where the breaks on my car don't work and I'm speeding down a hill. That one wakes me up almost immediately as it freaks me the f out.

Reactions: west-ky-wildcat
Always have dreams that I’m in a class and the teacher springs a test on us but I’ve never studied or done any homework, not even sure what the class is. Always causes anxiety and I wake up feeling stressed and then feel relief when I realize in real life I never have to take another test again.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
I don't recall ever having dreams about school, but then I graduated 27 years ago and went into the military. I don't even have dreams about my time in the Air Force. In fact, I rarely remember having any memorable dreams about anything anymore. Probably because I sleep like crap due to multiple back surgeries and don't get into a deep enough sleep. I'd welcome an occasional nightmare. It would mean I likely had a good night's sleep.

Last night I had a version of a dream I've had before. I dreamed that a friend of mine was dying and wanted my help to go out on his own terms. I know some people have firm personal convictions about it but that all goes out the window in my very realistic dream. It's bad.

The most common recurring dream for me is caused by being on a boat. I have a friend that liked to fish tournaments and I would be his partner a few times a year. Every time I spent over a few minutes on a boat I would dream about drowning. I'm not much on omens or signs but I will have a drowning dream every damned time. Creeps me out pretty bad.

Late for the next class, need something from my locker located two buildings over, get to my locker and can’t remember the combination to the lock.

Back working as a cook at Frisch’s (a job I had in my early 20s) and the check wheel is full. The faster I cook, the faster new checks are hung on the wheel. I can never catch up.

I’m now in my late 50s and still have these panicky dreams every six months or so. Weird!

Reactions: WayneDougan
Sounds like y’all just a bunch of neurotic, repressed freaks. Sad. I sleep like a baby. Every. Damned. Night.

May you dream you are getting speed ball thrown by you in this video.

giphy.gif

That-face-bruce-springsteen-27034860-500-272.gif

Pretty close but I’m supposed to check in to a huge football game and am always missing one item, usually helmet, sometimes jersey or whatever. All my family and friends there, coach yelling for me to get in.....run back to the locker room looking for it etc.....miss the game *every* time.

- work dreams. Worked with my Dad for 15 years, even longer counting HS and college. He died suddenly and unexpectedly, unfortunately. Was devastating. Anyways, I have work dreams with him in them all the time, couple times a week. In meetings with him and customers, employees etc....but he rarely talks. 95% of the time he’s just there and says nothing.

Oddly it’s not sad or anything, actually kinda cool to “see” him but we rarley interact. No doubt it’s my subconscious pissed I never got to say goodby to him, but what are you going to do.

I dream of my parents quite a bit. I agree it is like seeing them again.

When I was in the hospital with a broken leg, I was on Ambien and Percocet at the same time and the two nights I took Ambien I had a dream that they were taking me in my hospital bed to get an x-ray, only all the people in the hallway were headless and there were geysers of blood shooting from where their heads would have been.

Fun times!

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
I used to have the dream about missing class the whole semester.

Now I have a recurring dream that I’m in Lexington about to start grad school, but then realize that I have no job, no where to live, and my wife and kid are 500 miles away at our home in Iowa.

Flying dreams for 55 years. Also, can stay underwater indefinitely. Often solve complicated problems dealing with work, then when I awaken I send an email to myself with solution..
Actually used to have a lot of dreams about being able to fly.

No school dreams, ironically. Guess I was always prepared.

HAVING SAID THAT

I constantly have dreams about running away or towards something and just cannot move fast enough for either. I’ll wake up with sore legs and out of breath. Probably because I can’t run more than 15 seconds in real life .....

Dreams of being in a plane. Plane drives on the roads, and if it finds a good opportunity, it takes off on the Snyder or Watterson Expy.

Also since I went to multiple colleges(Tampa and UK), that both campuses are next to each other/related.

2. Falling from a great height or off of something (building or roller coaster) and I have to land on a trampoline to avoid death. However, trampoline just launches me just as high and I have to keep landing on a trampoline.
I have these same dreams. 1. Show up somewhere missing clothes. Usually other people in the dream do not notice. 2. Jumping/falling from a great height.

A guy I work with has the dream about showing up to take the final exam in a class he hasn't attended all year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT