ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

willievic

Senior
Aug 29, 2005
Louisville, KY.
I've said in the past, that I think Cal is the best recruiter I have ever seen in my 83 years. He could PEE in your ear, tell you it's raining, and sell you an umbrella. If he would go back to the basics he learned as a player, not push players to the NBA after one or two years, and realize you don't have to have all 5 star players to win, then he could finish his career at UK, as a great coach. I hope he's not too stubborn to change, but I won't hold my breath thinking he will. I met Cal in Mexico when we played down there. He was great to talk to, as was the other coaches. I think sometimes coaches get hung upon themselves, thinking they are always right. I guess that is true with a lot of us. Regardless of what Cal thinks, UK fans know basketball. Most of us have played it since grade school, and live and die with the CATS. I wish him the best of luck on "Righting the ship."

I've said in the past, that I think Cal is the best recruiter I have ever seen in my 83 years. He could PEE in your ear, tell you it's raining, and sell you an umbrella. If he would go back to the basics he learned as a player, not push players to the NBA after one or two years, and realize you don't have to have all 5 star players to win, then he could finish his career at UK, as a great coach. I hope he's not too stubborn to change, but I won't hold my breath thinking he will. I met Cal in Mexico when we played down there. He was great to talk to, as was the other coaches. I think sometimes coaches get hung upon themselves, thinking they are always right. I guess that is true with a lot of us. Regardless of what Cal thinks, UK fans know basketball. Most of us have played it since grade school, and live and die with the CATS. I wish him the best of luck on "Righting the ship."
The rudder is broken beyond repair .

It’s more than keeping guys here multiple years .

Things won’t get better unless Cal gets better at coaching on offense . You simply can’t be this bad in a half court set and expect to win games . Nevermind the fact that his teams never seem to run and speed up the pace like they should .
How can you get better when we cannot shoot the ball?

Reactions: westerncat
It’s lack of preparation..and lack of any kind of…well…anything. Our team never knows what to expect and there’s no security in roles
He’s managed to destroy confidence in these players and he absolutely refuses to change anything

That ship has sailed, my friend.

Cal just needed to be on it when it did.

Reactions: crestcat and UKMKG
All I know is if you are actually 83 years old you are doing great with technology and posting on message boards.

He has players that have been here a few years, experienced transfers, reigning National player of the year, reigning sec assists leader, AND top freshman. WHAT ELSE COULD THIS MAN POSSIBLY NEED! He’s done.
[/QUOT
This roster is near the bottom in terms of talent since Cal has been here.
Just because he took a lot of guys on this roster doesn't mean he really wanted them.
He has no idea how to win with these guys, it's beyond a "tweak".

He just needs to recruit and let someone else Coach the team. It’s obvious he is terrible at game planning X’s and O’s and bench coaching teams. Unfortunately he would never do that!!

Reactions: willievic
No idea why a top recruit would come to KY to play for Cal these days
Livingston plays rhe 3 because that is his best nba spot

We play man to man…that is what the nba does

We dribble and beat your man…that is how they play in nba

Top rated nba kids get a ton long leash when they should not based on play

Not playing thru injury to risk nba future

These and a laundry list of reasons is why kids still come Here as UK/Cal is pitching players first nonsense which is really a NBA minor league experience. And if UK can win cool…but it ain’t about winning for UK…that is considered selfish

Reactions: willievic
All I know is if you are actually 83 years old you are doing great with technology and posting on message boards.
Thanks very much. Yes I'm 83,l flew for the USAF during Vietnamn, and retired from Northwest Airlines as a Boeing 747 Captain 27 years ago, after flying commercial for 30 years. Moved back to Kentucky and commuted to 8 different cities so my two children would go to University of Kentucky. I have two Grandsons in Medical School at Uk at the present time. I love the CATS.

ADVERTISEMENT