ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Recruiting spotlight: Potential receiver transfer Ahmad Wagner

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
On the surface, Kentucky's involvement with potential receiver transfer Ahmad Wagner might raise a few eyebrows.

After all, Wagner has been playing basketball - not football - at Iowa for the past three years. He would have to sit out for a year in order to play at Kentucky in 2019, and he would only have one season of eligibility.

But there's a reason Mark Stoops' program is still making a play for the former two-sport star from Ohio.

LINK: https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/recruiting-spotlight-potential-receiver-transfer-ahmad-wagner

Try Cats Illustrated FREE for 30 days

Reactions: TuckyFB
Sure looks like an athlete. But also doesn’t mean he’ll be a special WR.

Interesting idea..
1. We lose Dorian Baker after this year and we need outside receivers moreso than slot guys. In two years it will be Tavin Richardson, Epps, Ali and ????? (not sure which Fr will play their way up depth charts)
2. The downside is 1 year isn't a ton of time to show his worth. At least he sits out one year to acclimate and ready to roll in year 2...but there is no time to learn on the job for him.

I would be shocked if he doesn't stay at Iowa. I mean even if he doesn't get much PT next season he can practice with them and get spot duty and probably be a factor by mid season.

Reactions: Smashcat
I would be shocked if he doesn't stay at Iowa. I mean even if he doesn't get much PT next season he can practice with them and get spot duty and probably be a factor by mid season.
Don't underestimate the lure of the sec. Big dog just gets it as far as staying in contact. He could spend one year at UK truly dedicating himself to getting in football shape and working on routes and fundamentals. During a season he will not have that chance if he is playing year one.

Don't underestimate the lure of the sec. Big dog just gets it as far as staying in contact. He could spend one year at UK truly dedicating himself to getting in football shape and working on routes and fundamentals. During a season he will not have that chance if he is playing year one.

And he hasn't been playing football for three years now, the redshirt year and maybe bulking up a little for football wouldn't be a wasted year, if he stayed there he should probably do the same thing if he really does think he has NFL potential, and seems like a few think he does. Who was the long time NFL all star TE that played basketball at San Diego?

And he hasn't been playing football for three years now, the redshirt year and maybe bulking up a little for football wouldn't be a wasted year, if he stayed there he should probably do the same thing if he really does think he has NFL potential, and seems like a few think he does. Who was the long time NFL all star TE that played basketball at San Diego?
Gates

Only issue may be the offense we run. Since Towles first year starting we have not thrown for over 2500 yards.

Only issue may be the offense we run. Since Towles first year starting we have not thrown for over 2500 yards.

Hard to say how much of that is due to the offense we run and how much to the QB talent we have had-----

AND the RB talent.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Also Tony Gonzalez might have been the best of those tight ends that also played basketball, but he wasn't a super star in basketball at California, definitely his second best sport.

Also Tony Gonzalez might have been the best of those tight ends that also played basketball, but he wasn't a super star in basketball at California, definitely his second best sport.
He was still solid as a CBB player.

Reactions: jauk11
I hope he transfers in. But I hope he’s productive. We’ve had bad luck in recent years with tall receivers. It seems like none of them have panned out for us. Bone, Ross, etc.

What I've noticed is we've had bad luck with the great majority of our receivers. I'm more interested in cutting the number of receiver offers and increasing the number of tackle recruits.

We lose Dorian Baker after this year and we need outside receivers moreso than slot guys.
Correct and insightful. I like the upsides of Dailey and Oliver, who both remind me a little bit of Stevie Johnson athletically. But we need to sign more wideouts in the next class. Kendrell Scurry out of Nashville and Trevon Rafael from Ohio are possibilities. I would say that the odds are increasing for a juco wide receiver signing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT