ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting/attrition question for y'all..

Hoping Gabriel returns. His improvement is on par with what has been normal at any school not named UK.

Gabriel will surely return. No 1 has suggested he is projectable or draftable this year. There have been some rumors that he might leave early to play for money in an overseas league. I suppose that’s possible, but trying it this year would be very poor timing. With 1 more college season, he could probably transform himself into an NBA draft choice (as you suggested).

Who knows about Hami? Great to see all the team so happy about his performance against Buffalo. He obviously wants to go, so expect he will. If he can shoot it all in pre-draft he's likely a late first rounder are guaranteed by some team in the 2nd round ala Ulis.
Diallo was invited to last year’s pre-draft camp, and most reports suggested he would have been a late-1st or early-2nd round choice if he had entered the NBA draft. There is no good reason to think the same thing won’t happen again this year. So I think an NBA GM will draft him, pay him, and stash him in the development league while his game matures. That will probably appeal to Diallo. I think he is probably gone.

Next year's roster, in my opinion:

Disclaimer: Have no idea what the starting lineup is going to look like. There are countless options that can Cal can utilize. The only three I am pretty confident about is Green/Quickley at the guard spots and Washington at PF.

PG FR Quickley
SG SO Green
SF FR Johnson
PF SO Washington
C JR Killeya-Jones

Bench
6th Man: W/F JR Gabriel
PF SO Vanderbilt
SG FR Herro
C SO Richards
SG RS FR Baker

Possibly FR Montgomery

I think Knox, SGA, and Hami enter the draft.

This team, if it pans out the way most think, will be absolutely stacked. Gabriel and Vanderbilt can easily be rotated into the starting lineup on a case-by-case basis. Just so many options.
No way Vanderbilt doesn't start if he comes back. The kid is most likely on the Naismith watch list. A soph JV is better than every single Freshman we have coming in and it's not close

Gabriel will surely return. No 1 has suggested he is projectable or draftable this year. There have been some rumors that he might leave early to play for money in an overseas league. I suppose that’s possible, but trying it this year would be very poor timing. With 1 more college season, he could probably transform himself into an NBA draft choice (as you suggested).

Diallo was invited to last year’s pre-draft camp, and most reports suggested he would have been a late-1st or early-2nd round choice if he had entered the NBA draft. There is no good reason to think the same thing won’t happen again this year. So I think an NBA GM will draft him, pay him, and stash him in the development league while his game matures. That will probably appeal to Diallo. I think he is probably gone.
Athletic 2 guards who can't shoot are a dime a dozen and don't have a place in the NBA. If he wants an NBA career he'll come back and polish his game, or he can go play summer league ball then hit the G League or whatever country Briscoe is playing in.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Hami and Wenyen wont sniff the first round and both need to come back and polish their games.

I would agree. But they might want to go ahead and start getting paid from somewhere. And or take their chances with the league. You do remember Briscoe right?

HAHA I see you basically wrote the same.

Last edited:
Going to be interesting to see if Diallo continues
No way Vanderbilt doesn't start if he comes back. The kid is most likely on the Naismith watch list. A soph JV is better than every single Freshman we have coming in and it's not close

Maybe...maybe not...

Screen_Shot_2017_01_26_at_6.23.08_PM.0.0.jpeg

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
This combined with what LineSkiCat said is pretty much the whole story. SGA and Knox are first-round locks. Everybody else is up in the air. Smart money says we lose 2-4 players. Guys like Diallo and Vanderbilt don’t have first-round guarantees but could still leave. There could also be transfers for increased playing time, like SKJ or Wynyard. I predict we lose 3 to the NBA, 1 to transfer, and that we return Green, Baker, Gabriel, Washington, Vanderbilt, Richards, and Killeya-Jones.
That’s a hell of a returning core. I’d be pumped if that’s what we bring back. Maybe for back to back titles...

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I would agree. But they might want to go ahead and start getting paid from somewhere. And or take there chances with the league. You do remember Briscoe right?
Yeah, the dude who is playing in Timbuktu right now? Yeah, every guy on the team can have that right now if they want. Or they can come back, improve, and try for a meaningful NBA career which is 100x more likely to happen with the coaching and exposure you get at UK opposed to playing in BFE.

Yeah, the dude who is playing in Timbuktu right now? Yeah, every guy on the team can have that right now if they want. Or they can come back, improve, and try for a meaningful NBA career which is 100x more likely to happen with the coaching and exposure you get at UK opposed to playing in BFE.

Again I agree. But sometimes kids are just ready to go. Not saying he's one, but could be. I also thought the same about Briscoe, but that didn't stop him from leaving.

Athletic 2 guards who can't shoot are a dime a dozen and don't have a place in the NBA. If he wants an NBA career he'll come back and polish his game, or he can go play summer league ball then hit the G League or whatever country Briscoe is playing in.
I also think Diallo should come back for another season and gain some polish and maturity. The premise of the other poster’s comment was “he obviously wants to go, so he probably will”. I agree with the other poster that Diallo will probably leave for the NBA draft after this season. I am not suggesting that is the best choice available to him though.

One of our mods seems to think EJ is leaning UK..
I think Montgomery will wait to announce his decision. He is holding a lot of cards right now. He has offers from the top programs, and he can afford to wait and see which college players declare in April for the NBA draft.

3 point guards?
Yeah I think that's a smart way to go, but green has shown he can play off the ball 2guard and the offense looks good ran that way. Hagans is top PG in his class and a top ball handler (like SGA) and a proficient distributor.
No dumb ass maybe Europe?
You don't pick up on sarcasm. WG will be back

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Yeah I think that's a smart way to go, but green has shown he can play off the ball 2guard and the offense looks good ran that way. Hagans is top PG in his class and a top ball handler (like SGA) and a proficient distributor.

You don't pick up on sarcasm. WG will be back

Ok then yes I missed the sarcasm my bad.

And I do hope he comes back.

I expect to lose about 5 or 6 guys and will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen. We lose so many players every year that I look at it as expect the worst and hope for the best and then you don't get as disappointed when they leave. Here's my worst case scenario.

Leave
Knox - NBA 1st round
Alexander - NBA 1st round
Diallo - NBA late 1st early second round
Vanderbilt - NBA late 1st early second round (draft on potential)
Gabriel - NBA second round or overseas
Wynyard - Returns home

Stay

Washington
Richards
Jones
Baker
Green

Incoming
Quickley
Herro
Johnson

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this happens. I think a couple of the players will be listening to the wrong people and leave regardless. Wynyard probably will be sent packing after what happened or decides to just return home. If so we had better get 3 or 4 more Spring recruits. We definitely need another small forward and power forward at the minimum and another center if Richards or Jones don't make huge strides.

I'm hoping Vanderbilt does the smart thing and returns. Also hope Gabriel isn't in a hurry to leave. If those 2 return to go with the others we will be in pretty good shape. We still could use another big for sure and maybe another small forward. It just would depend on how we use Gabriel next year.

It would be great if we only lose 2 of those players, but if so we can only sign one more player. Maybe most will return to try and get that undefeated team Coach Cal wants.

Reactions: sefleming
I expect to lose about 5 or 6 guys and will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen. We lose so many players every year that I look at it as expect the worst and hope for the best and then you don't get as disappointed when they leave. Here's my worst case scenario.

Leave
Knox - NBA 1st round
Alexander - NBA 1st round
Diallo - NBA late 1st early second round
Vanderbilt - NBA late 1st early second round (draft on potential)
Gabriel - NBA second round or overseas
Wynyard - Returns home

Stay

Washington
Richards
Jones
Baker
Green

Incoming
Quickley
Herro
Johnson

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this happens. I think a couple of the players will be listening to the wrong people and leave regardless. Wynyard probably will be sent packing after what happened or decides to just return home. If so we had better get 3 or 4 more Spring recruits. We definitely need another small forward and power forward at the minimum and another center if Richards or Jones don't make huge strides.

I'm hoping Vanderbilt does the smart thing and returns. Also hope Gabriel isn't in a hurry to leave. If those 2 return to go with the others we will be in pretty good shape. We still could use another big for sure and maybe another small forward. It just would depend on how we use Gabriel next year.

It would be great if we only lose 2 of those players, but if so we can only sign one more player. Maybe most will return to try and get that undefeated team Coach Cal wants.
Why would Wenyen leave early to play overseas?

Says who? Where did this bit of common knowledge that I've only ever heard on this board come from? He has two older siblings who are employed college graduates, another older sibling who maybe graduated by now, a younger sibling who is also on a full basketball scholarship. Where does this "his family needs money" story come from?

I also have no idea what financial situation Gabriel's family is in. I do know that the NBA isn't the only way to make money. From what I have watched and read, his family has overcame more than anyone should ever have to overcome. I think they probably understand the value of an education, especially since many family members have earned degrees. One more year at UK, Wenyen can most likely earn his Bachelor's degree. Then he can look into basketball opportunities as well as opportunities within his field of study. His best chance at the NBA is after at least one more year at UK and if that doesn't work out, he has his degree.

If Diallo plays 4 more games like he just had he'll be back in the lottery. He played defense harder, for longer, than he's played in the rest of the games combined. If he can play that way, he deserves it.

Only lose 3 look at mocks today - none of the others are close - PJ is a tweenerwho can't handle or shoot Vando is injury prone with no shot both late second or non draft

Why would Wenyen leave early to play overseas?

Why would Isaiah Briscoe leave to go undrafted?
Why would Doron Lamb leave to go in the 2nd round?
Why would Andrew Harrison leave to go in the 2nd round?
Why would Aaron Harrison leave to go undrafted?
Why would Dakari Johnson leave to go in the 2nd round?
Why would DeAndre Liggins leave to go in the 2nd round?

None of those players left UK with a guaranteed contract waiting for them. Some got NBA contracts. Some ended up in the G League. Some ended up overseas. The one constant is none of them had to leave and knew it was an uphill battle to make it, but they had their reasons. That is why I don't expect any player to stick around.

Maybe Wenyen wants a better life for his mom and family now and not a year from now. No one knows but his family and himself. I guess we won't know until we know. I just hope they do like the 2014 team and a bunch of players want to come back for a special season. Hopefully following a championship and wanting to repeat and go undefeated.

Why would Isaiah Briscoe leave to go undrafted?
Why would Doron Lamb leave to go in the 2nd round?
Why would Andrew Harrison leave to go in the 2nd round?
Why would Aaron Harrison leave to go undrafted?
Why would Dakari Johnson leave to go in the 2nd round?
Why would DeAndre Liggins leave to go in the 2nd round?

None of those players left UK with a guaranteed contract waiting for them. Some got NBA contracts. Some ended up in the G League. Some ended up overseas. The one constant is none of them had to leave and knew it was an uphill battle to make it, but they had their reasons. That is why I don't expect any player to stick around.

Maybe Wenyen wants a better life for his mom and family now and not a year from now. No one knows but his family and himself. I guess we won't know until we know. I just hope they do like the 2014 team and a bunch of players want to come back for a special season. Hopefully following a championship and wanting to repeat and go undefeated.
He's gonna provide a better life for his family on a G League salary?

Did I say he was going into the G League? That's why I said he might choose to go overseas. Just because the second round might not lead to a contract it isn't the only option.

By the way, do you ever not try to post in a conflicting way with everyone on here? Your posting style is one who likes to bash everyone's opinion like one of the people who do nothing but criticize their supposedly fellow UK fans.

Did I say he was going into the G League? That's why I said he might choose to go overseas. Just because the second round might not lead to a contract it isn't the only option.

By the way, do you ever not try to post in a conflicting way with everyone on here? Your posting style is one who likes to bash everyone's opinion like one of the people who do nothing but criticize their supposedly fellow UK fans.
Whoa there sensitive, I disagreed with you and stated my opinion. I'll make a note to always agree with you in the future to keep your delicate feelings intact.

Diallo, SGA and Knox depart. I don't even know if Wynyard is even on the team or if anyone even cares. Definitely don't expect him to be on the roster next year.

Lineup next year:

Green
Quickley
Vanderbilt
Washington
Richards

Gabriel
Johnson
Herro
Killeya-Jones
Baker

I don't think we add Montgomery to our already loaded frontcourt unless Vanderbilt and/or Gabriel leave. And it would probably take both of them leaving for him to come. I think a perfect addition to this class would be a 3 and D guy who could play the 2 or 3. Another shooter to throw into the mix that wouldn't need much playing time. Next year could be the best shooting team under Calipari. Green, Quickley, Baker, Herro, Gabriel. and from what Ive seen Johnson should be able to at least keep defenses honest. Add a grad transfer who is a knock down shooter and we are just flat out scary.

Whoa there sensitive, I disagreed with you and stated my opinion. I'll make a note to always agree with you in the future to keep your delicate feelings intact.

This isn't just about my post you responded to. It is about a bunch of your posts. You always seek out posts you don't agree with just to bash the person. Most people don't seek out conflict, but you seem to strive for it. Just a few examples.

Nope, tomorrow if we get screwed, some mouth breather will be screaming mad at Mitch Barnhart. Good seed, bad seed, MB had nothing to do with wherever we land.

Another chicken little hit dog.

We may have the most knowledgeable fans but at the same time we have to have the dumbest fans in the country.

This is dumb and makes no sense, but at the same time, it's the best post you've ever made.

According to Kentucky fans teams should be given a cakewalk to the Final Four. The tournament is, was, and always will be hard.

Those morons acted like Arizona was some super team and we got screwed by drawing them. Don't blame Barnhart, blame your own ignorance for making claims about teams you've never even seen play.

For the love of God, stop whining.

Wow, you seem to be terrified of 7 loss Duke. You're embarrassing yourself and BBN just like yall did when you were crying about playing Arizona.

Our fans are afraid of everything else, why not be afraid of this dude?

Always attacking others instead of being the better man and just stating your opinion respectively or just ignoring things and move on. That is what I will be doing now so good day to you.

Reactions: Cindog28
I think we lose Knox, SGA, Diallo, and Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt is the wildcard for me. I think he leaves, but he could really benefit from returning.

Hopefully, we add Montgomery if Vanderbilt leaves.

Main rotation next season:

Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Gabriel
Vanderbilt or Montgomery
Killeya-Jones
Richards

Baker and Herro fight for spot minutes on the wings.

Might add one more guy.

If Hagans reclassifies and comes here, then insert him into the rotation.

This isn't just about my post you responded to. It is about a bunch of your posts. You always seek out posts you don't agree with just to bash the person. Most people don't seek out conflict, but you seem to strive for it. Just a few examples.

Always attacking others instead of being the better man and just stating your opinion respectively or just ignoring things and move on. That is what I will be doing now so good day to you.
I attacked people who attacked our players and coaches, I didn't attack you, I had a different opinion than you. Like so many others you feel the need to be apart of something and got super butthurt because I have the opinion that Hami and Wenyen are better off returning. Don't say it's not about your post I responded to when that's when you started crying in the first place.

And so we're clear, I posted, "Why would Wenyen leave early to play overseas?" Then, "Hes gonna provide a better life for his family on a G League salary?" That's it, that's what set you off. Spare me your fake outrage because I dared to have a different opinion.

I attacked people who attacked our players and coaches, I didn't attack you, I had a different opinion than you. Like so many others you feel the need to be apart of something and got super butthurt because I have the opinion that Hami and Wenyen are better off returning. Don't say it's not about your post I responded to when that's when you started crying in the first place.

And there you go again. You attack people because you don't agree with them. It isn't just about coaches or players. You think your opinion is the only one that matters and you come off as trying to be a bully. You didn't agree with what was said so you break out your sarcastic tone and then follow it with being disrespectful. Disagreeing with you = butthurt and crying in your eyes.

By the way nowhere did I say they wouldn't be better off returning. It is an opinion on what I thought the worst case scenario was and could still end up being. Your retort was to resort to your usual bash the fans posting style when there was no reason for it.

No one said anything about G League besides you and when confronted about that and your past attitude with others you don't agree with you always resort to talking down to others. I've said my peace in a respectful way while you do what you do. I'm done with replying to you so have a nice day.

Last edited:
And there you go again. You attack people because you don't agree with them. It isn't just about coaches or players. You think your opinion is the only one that matters and you come off as trying to be a bully. You didn't agree with what was said so you break out your sarcastic tone and then follow it with being disrespectful. Disagreeing with you = butthurt and crying in your eyes.

By the way nowhere did I say they wouldn't be better off returning. It is an opinion on what I thought the worst case scenario was and could still end up being. Your retort was to resort to your usual bash the fans posting style when there was no reason for it.

No one said anything about G League besides you and when confronted about that and your past attitude with others you don't agree with you always resort to talking down to others. I've said my peace in a respectful way while you do you do. I'm done with replying to you so have a nice day.
OK Chief, try not to get offended the next time someone tells you they think Wenyen should come back and again, LOL at your fake outrage.

I think Knox, SGA, and Wynyard are gone.

Washington may test the NBA waters and after hearing Calipari's presser where he admitted to holding players back, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Diallo go too.

Green
Baker
Gabriel
Vanderbilt
SKJ

Quickly
Herro
Johnson
Richards
EarnedNotGiven
?
?
?

In what world is Gabriel ready for the NBA?

Knox Diallo 100% gone, I'll hold out hope for a 15% chance SGA comes back but I dont see it happening.

Sign Hagans and EJ call it a class
Until the last game, Diallo didn't look ready to contribute much for UK

3 guys will get drafted.
1 will transfer.
At least 1 or 2 more will leave that will leave that shouldn't.
There will in fact be very little turnover beyond what there should be ( the 3 top 35 draft picks we have ) . I now am not worried about Gabriel leaving after reading something on HOB last night which really made my night. I think EJ is waiting to see what happens with JV . If JV leaves then we get EJ . If not then we have no need for him. This is just my opinion of coarse. A gabriel , JV , Richards , SKJ , PJ , Johnson ( I count SF in my front court) and wiseman front court is a LOAD. Just not much room for EJ in that scenario. I do feel good that either EJ or JV will be on next year's team.

Yeppers. If we lose those 3.. you're talking a team that's just not going to lose many games. The SEC will be strong, but I'm not sure which elite SEC teams will get better, aside from Tenn and TAM. Not going to be many opportunities for legit SEC wins against us.

I think you're looking at a 2-seed at worse for Kentucky next season. A lot of this will hinge on Green's sophomore rise/Quickley becoming acclimated. If neither of those happen well, that's where Kentucky will falter. But our shooters, our wing play, our forwards and low post-presence. Our length and speed. Now add in experience to the level that we rarely see (plethora of sophomores and a handful of juniors)..

And Cal.. the guy who's as close to automatic as possible in the tournament. Absolutely surgical in March and beyond..
Yep. We all know what Cal can do with teams that have substantial returning experience. Juggernaut.

ADVERTISEMENT