ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting/attrition question for y'all..

GermantownDawg

All-American
Sep 9, 2001
I see that you guys have three committed for 2018 and probably lead for EJ Montgomery as well. How many guys do y'all believe will leave early? Looks like y'all have 10 scholarship guys this year. I would assume SGA and Knox are gone, but what about the others?

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
NBA Mock has those two as lottery picks.. and Hami at the very end of the 1st round. I wish I could look back at past mocks throughout a given year to compare.. but if you're not even showing up on the mocks, I can't imagine some of our freshman will even attempt to go.

JV's injury ended a lot of his draft opportunity.
PJ has a unique build, could see him trying out for teams, but ultimately coming back.
Gabriel is looking like a 4-year type player, don't think he's ready for the NBA yet.
Green, Richards, SKJ.. need more time.

I think we lose 3. And that's not bad at all.

I see that you guys have three committed for 2018 and probably lead for EJ Montgomery as well. How many guys do y'all believe will leave early? Looks like y'all have 10 scholarship guys this year. I would assume SGA and Knox are gone, but what about the others?

Most likely Diallo, maybe Gabriel.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
NBA Mock has those two as lottery picks.. and Hami at the very end of the 1st round. I wish I could look back at past mocks throughout a given year to compare.. but if you're not even showing up on the mocks, I can't imagine some of our freshman will even attempt to go.

JV's injury ended a lot of his draft opportunity.
PJ has a unique build, could see him trying out for teams, but ultimately coming back.
Gabriel is looking like a 4-year type player, don't think he's ready for the NBA yet.
Green, Richards, SKJ.. need more time.

I think we lose 3. And that's not bad at all.
That would be a big win for Cal and I could see UK making another big run next year with all of that experience coming back.

Knox and Shai are gone for sure.
Probably 75-25 Hami goes too.
I think everybody else comes back and we are loaded for bear next season.

Most likely Diallo, maybe Gabriel.
In what world is Gabriel ready for the NBA?

Knox Diallo 100% gone, I'll hold out hope for a 15% chance SGA comes back but I dont see it happening.

Sign Hagans and EJ call it a class

Reactions: ganner918
5% just one leaves
25% just two leave (Knox & SGA)
35% three leave
25% four leave
10% five leave

(the above is either via NBA, overseas, or transfer)

The order of most likely would be:
Knox
SGA
Diallo
Gabriel
Vanderbilt
SGA
Richards
Washington
Green

UK has 11 on scholarship. Jamarl Baker was out injured all season and will likely go medical redshirt.

Everyone’s best guess is Knox and SGA will leave for NBA. Won’t know of any other departures until later in the Spring.
Ah, what class was Baker a part of? I don't remember him.

UK has 11 on scholarship. Jamarl Baker was out injured all season and will likely go medical redshirt.

Everyone’s best guess is Knox and SGA will leave for NBA. Won’t know of any other departures until later in the Spring.

This combined with what LineSkiCat said is pretty much the whole story. SGA and Knox are first-round locks. Everybody else is up in the air. Smart money says we lose 2-4 players. Guys like Diallo and Vanderbilt don’t have first-round guarantees but could still leave. There could also be transfers for increased playing time, like SKJ or Wynyard. I predict we lose 3 to the NBA, 1 to transfer, and that we return Green, Baker, Gabriel, Washington, Vanderbilt, Richards, and Killeya-Jones.

We are almost certain to lose Knox and SGA.

Then there is a chance 1 or 2 roll the dice on the NBA. Diallo and Gabriel the top 2 most mentioned.

And an outside chance at a transfer. Or perhaps 2 (Tai is likely gone).

Almost certain to return: Green, Baker, Vanderbilt, Washington, SKJ, and Richards

Reactions: EastLansingCat
So, from what I gather, currently 11 on scholarship with three likely departures - Knox, SGA and possibly Hami leaving 5 open scholarships. My next question, does Cal elect to use all 5 or hold one for 2019? Thanks!

This combined with what LineSkiCat said is pretty much the whole story. SGA and Knox are first-round locks. Everybody else is up in the air. Smart money says we lose 2-4 players. Guys like Diallo and Vanderbilt don’t have first-round guarantees but could still leave. There could also be transfers for increased playing time, like SKJ or Wynyard. I predict we lose 3 to the NBA, 1 to transfer, and that we return Green, Baker, Gabriel, Washington, Vanderbilt, Richards, and Killeya-Jones.
I should have just waited and co-signed your post.

So, from what I gather, currently 11 on scholarship with three likely departures - Knox, SGA and possibly Hami leaving 5 open scholarships. My next question, does Cal elect to use all 5 or hold one for 2019? Thanks!

Some fantasists here think Wiseman will reclassify to fill out one of those slots. I doubt it.

Cal doesn't just toss out scholarships. He got burned in taking a risk on Wynyard. So I think his top targets will be EJ, Wiseman, Hagans, and maybe another reclass prospect.

In what world is Gabriel ready for the NBA?

Knox Diallo 100% gone, I'll hold out hope for a 15% chance SGA comes back but I dont see it happening.

Sign Hagans and EJ call it a class

Didn't say he was ready. Just my opinion, but think he may leave for a pro team somewhere. Just like Humphreys did.

Knox , Diallo and SGA are gone for sure. Gabriel and JV might leave but I bet JV after testing the waters comes back. Possibly Gabriel does as well but he needs money bad for his family. I think we add EJ if and only if JV or Gabriel leave , another guard ( maybe Hagans or Leque reclassify) and Wiseman .
Could see our roster as this
Guards - Quickley /Green/Herro/Baker/ another guard we add in recruiting
SF- Johnson / Vanderbilt
PF- PJ / EJ / SKJ
C - Wiseman / Richards

that will be 12 rides used.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
That would be a big win for Cal and I could see UK making another big run next year with all of that experience coming back.

Yeppers. If we lose those 3.. you're talking a team that's just not going to lose many games. The SEC will be strong, but I'm not sure which elite SEC teams will get better, aside from Tenn and TAM. Not going to be many opportunities for legit SEC wins against us.

I think you're looking at a 2-seed at worse for Kentucky next season. A lot of this will hinge on Green's sophomore rise/Quickley becoming acclimated. If neither of those happen well, that's where Kentucky will falter. But our shooters, our wing play, our forwards and low post-presence. Our length and speed. Now add in experience to the level that we rarely see (plethora of sophomores and a handful of juniors)..

And Cal.. the guy who's as close to automatic as possible in the tournament. Absolutely surgical in March and beyond..

Possibly Gabriel does as well but he needs money bad for his family.

Says who? Where did this bit of common knowledge that I've only ever heard on this board come from? He has two older siblings who are employed college graduates, another older sibling who maybe graduated by now, a younger sibling who is also on a full basketball scholarship. Where does this "his family needs money" story come from?

5% just one leaves
25% just two leave (Knox & SGA)
35% three leave
25% four leave
10% five leave

(the above is either via NBA, overseas, or transfer)

The order of most likely would be:
Knox
SGA
Diallo
Gabriel
Vanderbilt
SGA
Richards
Washington
Green

It'd be great if SGA could stay and go.

Possibly Gabriel does as well but he needs money bad for his family.
I hate when people say this. Does his family eat out of garbage cans? Do you know them personally? Or are you just saying they're poor because you've seen it repeated on a message board over and over by a few idiots that just made it up.

People act like his family is homeless and it gets old.

Next year's roster, in my opinion:

Disclaimer: Have no idea what the starting lineup is going to look like. There are countless options that can Cal can utilize. The only three I am pretty confident about is Green/Quickley at the guard spots and Washington at PF.

PG FR Quickley
SG SO Green
SF FR Johnson
PF SO Washington
C JR Killeya-Jones

Bench
6th Man: W/F JR Gabriel
PF SO Vanderbilt
SG FR Herro
C SO Richards
SG RS FR Baker

Possibly FR Montgomery

I think Knox, SGA, and Hami enter the draft.

This team, if it pans out the way most think, will be absolutely stacked. Gabriel and Vanderbilt can easily be rotated into the starting lineup on a case-by-case basis. Just so many options.

I think Diallo is only question mark. Vanderbilt just does not have the shot or the injury free period to go. I think Gabriel can increase his draft stock with another year. Tai will probably play in New Zealand or Europe. Of course they do not take my advice or opinion so we may lose them all.

Yeppers. If we lose those 3.. you're talking a team that's just not going to lose many games. The SEC will be strong, but I'm not sure which elite SEC teams will get better, aside from Tenn and TAM. Not going to be many opportunities for legit SEC wins against us.

I think you're looking at a 2-seed at worse for Kentucky next season. A lot of this will hinge on Green's sophomore rise/Quickley becoming acclimated. If neither of those happen well, that's where Kentucky will falter. But our shooters, our wing play, our forwards and low post-presence. Our length and speed. Now add in experience to the level that we rarely see (plethora of sophomores and a handful of juniors)..

And Cal.. the guy who's as close to automatic as possible in the tournament. Absolutely surgical in March and beyond..

I'll be surprised if both Davis and Williams don't enter the draft. I just don't see either returning to A&M.

If we were to only lose 3, with what we have coming in, it would put us square in the #1 preseason convo.

We are going to be a deadly offensive team next year with Green, Quickley, Herro, Johnson, and Baker at guard.

A lot of talk about adding Hagans to 2018 as well.

What we need is Montgomery, badly, as I could see Gabriel leaving to play overseas. SKJ and Richards will need help. Also need Vanderbilt to return.

Reactions: Jazzycat
I hate when people say this. Does his family eat out of garbage cans? Do you know them personally? Or are you just saying they're poor because you've seen it repeated on a message board over and over by a few idiots that just made it up.

People act like his family is homeless and it gets old.
Somebody said earlier this year Gabriel has brother and sisters that help support the family so his family's financial position may not be that critical. But they could be millionaires for what I know

Knox , Diallo and SGA are gone for sure. Gabriel and JV might leave but I bet JV after testing the waters comes back. Possibly Gabriel does as well but he needs money bad for his family. I think we add EJ if and only if JV or Gabriel leave , another guard ( maybe Hagans or Leque reclassify) and Wiseman .
Could see our roster as this
Guards - Quickley /Green/Herro/Baker/ another guard we add in recruiting
SF- Johnson / Vanderbilt
PF- PJ / EJ / SKJ
C - Wiseman / Richards

that will be 12 rides used.
Gabriel has like 6 siblings that are all college grads, his family isn't living in a grass hut lol

I'll be surprised if both Davis and Williams don't enter the draft. I just don't see either returning to A&M.

Yep, I'm looking at Tenn, Florida, TAMs rosters and am really just going by who is a senior. Haven't even factored in draft entrants, but I'm sure there will be several.

SEC will be strong for sure.. strong enough to beat what looks like a Super-Kentucky team? I think you're looking at 3-4 losses in the SEC as a whole. Just too many talented guys, playing for the greatest motivation coach in possibly the history of sports, to drop games they aren't supposed to.

Gabriel has like 6 siblings that are all college grads, his family isn't living in a grass hut lol

Wenyen has a pretty wild life story and overcame a lot - goes to show what a can-do attitude coupled
with hard work and determination can do.

I'm rooting for the kid to come back and become an even better version of himself.

Wenyen Gabriel's Journey

i

Says who? Where did this bit of common knowledge that I've only ever heard on this board come from? He has two older siblings who are employed college graduates, another older sibling who maybe graduated by now, a younger sibling who is also on a full basketball scholarship. Where does this "his family needs money" story come from?

Good question as I would like to know who started this also. Any link ?

We lead for EJ Montgomery? I thought Dook leads for him...

Good question. We currently have 11 players on scholarship, Richards, SKJ, Wynyard, Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington, Knox, SGA, Green, Diallo, Baker. We have signed 3 players, Johnson, Herro, Quickley. I believe Knox, SGA, Diallo, Wynyard will leave after this season. On paper, if that is right, then 3 scholarships are open. If more players leave, then more scholarships will obviously be open. I believe 1 more player will be added to this class. Calipari has offered Montgomery, so obviously we will take him if he wants to come. If not Montgomery, then probably a summer reclassification.

Last edited:
Hoping Gabriel returns. His improvement is on par with what has been normal at any school not named UK.

Stay and keep up the improvement and maybe be a first round pick in two more years. Can't believe Cal will be encouraging him to go this year for sure. Expect him back and looking forward to his ongoing development.

Who knows about Hami? Great to see all the team so happy about his performance against Buffalo. He obviously wants to go, so expect he will. If he can shoot it all in pre-draft he's likely a late first rounder are guaranteed by some team in the 2nd round ala Ulis.

JV may have "shown enough" to leave.

Four max, if Richards has any sense at all.

ADVERTISEMENT