ADVERTISEMENT

Recovering Data From A Hard Drive

GnarlsBarkley

Sophomore
Jun 2, 2007
Anyone have some advice on what to do about recovering data from a HP laptop with a hard drive issue?

You can use a USB to SATA adapter to attach the hard drive to another computer and attempt to read it from there. I have mixed success with laptop hard drives that are going bad. A former boss of mine used to put bad hard drives in the freezer overnight, and then try to read them. He swore it worked, but that method has never helped me.

If you can't read the drive yourself, Best Buy has some more advanced tools to recover data. I don't have any idea what they charge.

A former boss of mine used to put bad hard drives in the freezer overnight, and then try to read them. He swore it worked, but that method has never helped me.

Smash it with a sledgehammer and the bits with useful information will separate from those that don't have any. Then, put the useful bits into a pot with some chicken stock, bring to a boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Afterwards, strain and let cool before drinking to incorporate the recovered data into your system.

This works at least as well as putting it in a freezer, and probably better.

Recently had to replace the hard drive on our Dell laptop. My IT guy at work recommended Western Digital as a replacement vs buying from Dell.

Usually the data isn’t “recover-able” because bits/fragments are scattered across the hard drive. Run a defrag program first. If you can’t defrag, the best way to “un-scatter” the bits is to run a neodymium magnet (get one here from Amazon) across the hard drive several times. This will physically “arrange” the fragments in an orderly fashion so they can be recovered. YWIA.

Usually the data isn’t “recover-able” because bits/fragments are scattered across the hard drive. Run a defrag program first. If you can’t defrag, the best way to “un-scatter” the bits is to run a neodymium magnet (get one here from Amazon) across the hard drive several times. This will physically “arrange” the fragments in an orderly fashion so they can be recovered. YWIA.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: -Mav-

Timely thread as I couldn’t find a file on my work laptop and I have an important report due tomorrow. So I did what you said and now my laptop doesn’t seem to be working. I assume I must have accidentally arranged the fragments the wrong way. Any guidance on getting them back in the right order? FYI - if this doesn’t work I’ll get fired and I have a wife and kids.

Last edited:
Mav, I heard sometimes if the hard drive has been dormant the fragments can get cold and its' easier to arrange them if you heat them up in the microwave for a while. Is that true?

Reactions: entropy13 and -Mav-
Mav, I heard sometimes if the hard drive has been dormant the fragments can get cold and its' easier to arrange them if you heat them up in the microwave for a while. Is that true?
This can be true but microwaves typically heat the moisture that’s in the item being heated. So unless you soak the hard drive before microwaving you’re wasting your time. Another option is to use a hot air fryer set on its highest temp for about an hour or so. Smells awful but works!

Yes, but you have to soak it like Lecter said.

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew I could count on the paddock to solve my problem...but I think I messed up.

I figured if one magnet was good two would be better, so I got two but when I stared the process I realized they were diametrically opposed. It seems I've opened up some kind of portal to another deminsion. Ever seen 'The Mist'? That's what I'm dealing with here. Small price to pay for getting those family photos back though.

Reactions: GhostVol
A Big Green Egg preheated to 850 will do the trick.....oh...just make sure you use bubinga or jarrah wood in the Egg. North American hardwoods will screw it up

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew I could count on the paddock to solve my problem...but I think I messed up.

I figured if one magnet was good two would be better, so I got two but when I stared the process I realized they were diametrically opposed. It seems I've opened up some kind of portal to another deminsion. Ever seen 'The Mist'? That's what I'm dealing with here. Small price to pay for getting those family photos back though.

The Lizard Man sends his regards for opening the portal

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue

You must have forgot to delete system 32.

Everything I've ever tried always messes up and get make 1/4 of a picture, the rest of gray and funky colored. Pisses me off. Lost a lot of dirty pictures over the years. I bit the bullet and bought external hard drives so this will stop happening to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT