ADVERTISEMENT

Really, really miss Poythress

LowCountryCat

All-American
Apr 17, 2010
Orlando, FL
It hit me during the Bama game, of all things. There were some scrambles for loose balls and a few opportunities for putbacks and blocks that I believe Poythress would have handled. We are still an awesome team but that guy really glues us together with his physical, athletic play and just his MENACE. He would come out of nowhere and dunk a rebound off a free throw, or block a run out layup. Nobody could post him up or drive past him. He isn't a stat stuffer but he provides a spark whenever we needed it and is a rock on defense.

Really miss that guy. We really need him. I wish he hadn't gotten hurt.

Really excited to have him back next year. I hope he sticks around. Talk about some veteran leadership.

LOL, we won be almost 30. I hate it for Poythress, but his loss is not that big a deal. It's not gonna

be the difference between winning a title or not.

I knew the rebounding would take a hit for a few games, plus his athletic moves at the basket would be missed. On defense we lose a little as he usually got a tough assignment. The good news is, our bigs are doing better on the boards now and our defense is back to looking stellar. With Lyles, I will say that the offense looked more fluid at times but I agree I wish we had him back.

Originally posted by tmuck:
LOL, we won be almost 30. I hate it for Poythress, but his loss is not that big a deal. It's not gonna

be the difference between winning a title or not.
I know that, and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I'm just saying that I miss the kid on the floor and I can see his absence at times during games.

No offense intended to Alex but this thread would hold way more water if UK was say 13-4 or even 16-1, not 17-0.

Originally posted by KWilt43atbuzz:
No offense intended to Alex but this thread would hold way more water if UK was say 13-4 or even 16-1, not 17-0.
This thread isn't intended to 'hold water' as though it's some sort of legal argument.

I am simply stating that I miss seeing Alex on the floor.

Well he's not going to play the rest of the season. Sitting around sulking over it doesn't change that.

There are intangibles we miss not having him, but our offense is better with Booker and Lyles and that's not a debate. Both are improving defensively as well.

Wish Poy a speedy recovery and hope he returns next year stronger than ever, but time to move on for this season.

This team's fate was never going to rise or fall with Alex Poythress.

They had a bad 2 game stretch, probably because of the ridiculous layover. Camp Cal needs to end. They're back to being the team we all thought that could be. The defense hasn't dropped one bit and the offense has actually gotten better without Poythress. Sure, it sucks not to have another body that can grab a rebound or have a putback dunk, but Alex doesn't really cross my mind when I watch the games.

I don't understand these responses. Are we only allowed to miss watching a kid play if he would have an impact on winning/losing? Alex was a great kid and an insane athlete. Watching him out-jump players for a rebound or alley-oop dunk was fun to watch. I miss it too.

Prime, I get you buddy. It grieves me to not see him on the bench or on the floor. I know he'll be present tomorrow for the game against Vandy. (They wanted him so bad.) Glad he's a Cat and I don't care if some of these posters have to rain on other poster's comments of who they miss or like or don't like. I'm gonna like who I like and cheer for who I like. If they're a Cat and not a thorn in our side then I like 'em and miss 'em when they can't play because they are injured or not as skilled.

Go Cats!

Originally posted by Prime MF:
It hit me during the Bama game, of all things. There were some scrambles for loose balls and a few opportunities for putbacks and blocks that I believe Poythress would have handled. We are still an awesome team but that guy really glues us together with his physical, athletic play and just his MENACE. He would come out of nowhere and dunk a rebound off a free throw, or block a run out layup. Nobody could post him up or drive past him. He isn't a stat stuffer but he provides a spark whenever we needed it and is a rock on defense.

Alex is one of my favorite players but his loss has been very minimal. I never expected his loss to hurt the offense, but defensively. next to Stein, he's probably the most versatile defender UK has. I feel sorry for the kid. He's been through a lot at UK. From a 1st round NIT loss, to that improbable run in March last season. If the Cats take the hardware this year, I know it will be tough for that kid to not be out there on the floor contributing. Hope he's back next year.

I hear ya OP. Nobody else does it quite like this.....Looks like Superman rising!

alexblock2.gif

I feel the same way. Great kid. There are plays that he made that nobody else on the team can make. Certainly hope he makes a great recovery.

Originally posted by K-Town Kat:
Well he's not going to play the rest of the season. Sitting around sulking over it doesn't change that.

There are intangibles we miss not having him, but our offense is better with Booker and Lyles and that's not a debate. Both are improving defensively as well.

Wish Poy a speedy recovery and hope he returns next year stronger than ever, but time to move on for this season.
Sulking? You're an insufferable prick who doesn't know anything about me. Amazing how you think you know me based on a comment you read on the internet. Were you born a total a-hole, or do you work at it?

I miss his leadership and presence on the bench during games. No doubt, his leadership had a significant influence on this young team. Luckily while living at Wildcat Lodge, Poy has ample opportunity to discuss any basketball issues the players may want to discuss. So, Poy may want be helping us directly on the basketball court, but I still think he's being a big asset off the court.

Whoa. Someone needs to take a break from the internet.

FYI. That type of name-callimg is uneccessary and not warranted on here. I've been posting for many years and never been attacked in that manner over such a minor issue.

Originally posted by gossie21:
I don't understand these responses. Are we only allowed to miss watching a kid play if he would have an impact on winning/losing? Alex was a great kid and an insane athlete. Watching him out-jump players for a rebound or alley-oop dunk was fun to watch. I miss it too.
People on Rafters have trouble with context; they need things to be spelled out for them. Even that will often not be enough. The record has zero to do with missing Poythress and the spark that he brings. I guess, to me, there is no need to point out the obvious, even though it is clear that people need that. That concept flew over 10 heads in this thread.

Whoa. Someone needs to take a break from the internet.

FYI. That type of name-callimg is uneccessary and not warranted on here. I've been posting for many years and never been attacked in that manner over such a minor issue.
It would be nice if we could all be more civil but I took your initial response as insulting and condescending. Prime responded to you and a few other posters with the same hostility that I'm sure he felt he was receiving from you.

If you have not had a chance to re-read your initial reply to the topic I suggest you do and recognize the flame you cast.

Prime doesn't require my defense, he's his own man, but I thought this rebuttal was out-of-line, too.

I understand what the OP is saying but , Alex was a luxury this year . There's a good chance we may NEED him next year . Let's hope he comes back and is fully recovered .

Originally posted by bevcat:

I miss his leadership and presence on the bench during games. No doubt, his leadership had a significant influence on this young team. Luckily while living at Wildcat Lodge, Poy has ample opportunity to discuss any basketball issues the players may want to discuss. So, Poy may want be helping us directly on the basketball court, but I still think he's being a big asset off the court.
This^^^^^^^^....His leadership is especially missed. Hopefully, his ACL injury is healing well and he is finishing his degree. I will be surprised if he returns for his senior year because he is on schedule to graduate this May.

Agree with the OP. I've liked Alex from day one and wish he were out there for this incredible run we are having.

Let's hope that he does come back one more year!!!!

I assume that Poy has 3 BB options for next year? He can stay;transfer without sitting out a year;go into the draft. Am I correct?

Apparently some people miss him and some think we are better without him. Put me in the category that misses Alex, thinks he brings intangibles to the team that no one else does, and hopes he has a complete successful recovery and returns to the floor next season. He means more to the team sitting the bench than some people know how to appreciate.

I agree he won't mean the difference between winning a title and not, but there is one thing he could do that I don't think anyone else on the roster can, and that's defend against an athletic 3. Willie, e.g., can guard just about anyone, but you wouldn't put him on the opposing 6'8 guy who's that teams' leading scorer. Fould trouble, probably. I've watched the NCAAT game agains Louisville a couple of times recently on the treadmill, and i think we don't win if AP doesn't come in and guard Hancock. He was having his way, and then that just stopped. Again, his absence probably won't make the real difference, and D is our strength, anyway. But he could do that one thing, and I don't think we have one other guy that can. At least as well.....

Originally posted by lawrencekash:

I assume that Poy has 3 BB options for next year? He can stay;transfer without sitting out a year;go into the draft. Am I correct?
I am not disagreeing or arguing with you but how can he transfer without sitting out? The other two options are clearly available. I'm not sure about the transfer rule that you may be referring to?

Sulking? You're an insufferable prick who doesn't know anything about me. Amazing how you think you know me based on a comment you read on the internet. Were you born a total a-hole, or do you work at it?
Does anyone else catch the irony in this post?

Although my first post in this thread addresses some of the comments, especially ones who struggle with context.

Originally posted by preacherfan:
Originally posted by lawrencekash:

I am not disagreeing or arguing with you but how can he transfer without sitting out? The other two options are clearly available. I'm not sure about the transfer rule that you may be referring to?
Poythress graduates this spring. Post-graduate transfers are allowed to play immediately under certain conditions. I would assume UK would comply with Poythress' request if he chose this option, although I doubt he does.

Count me as one of those who really miss seeing Alex Poythress out there playing. He's a class act, great athlete and plays within the team concept. Hope he does come back next year and has a great year. He's one of my favorite players, too!

Poythress graduates this spring. Post-graduate transfers are allowed to play immediately under certain conditions. I would assume UK would comply with Poythress' request if he chose this option, although I doubt he does.
Gotcha! I had a mental lapse and forgot about the post-grad transfer rule. It is hard to keep up with the changes sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT