ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Ranking and rating UK's remaining recruiting needs

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Kentucky has already filled roughly 80-percent of its 2018 football recruiting class, thanks to the early signing period and some good work on the part of Mark Stoops' coaching staff.

But there are still several spots left to fill.

What are the program's most important need areas between now and the traditional February signing period?

LINK

Won't Darius West qualify for an additional year of eligibility since he missed both the 2015 & 2016 seasons with injuries? If so, that will help offset the exodus in the secondary a little bit.

Also, wasn't Zy'aire Hughes getting some good reports in the secondary as well? Any chance he moves back to WR if the numbers are lacking there?

Our RB situation is not good. Yes we have Snell who is a great back, but he's one play away from not being able to go. Seems you cannot have enough quality backs in this league especially when you run the ball like we do. Getting backs thru an entire season not nicked up is rare.

I'd like to see us take two more RB's. It may sound a little absurd but King will be gone after next year and Rose did not hardly play at all even though we really needed a 3rd RB. Snell may go pro. If so, we would be down to Rose (if he stays), Rodriguez and whoever else we sign. Not a good scenario.

Reactions: matt_man
I get the WR need but RB should be a 10 and DL should be at least an 8.
Commitments Stoops accepts in February should be in the "best available player" category. Just use February to add top talent. Now that we have Terry Wilson, the only positions that should be regarded as immediate needs are running back and interior defensive line, and both of those are needs for quality depth behind returning starters. But in terms of positions, they really can't sign enough receivers now. Koback's departure should also be covered. When you consider that every starter in our 2018 secondary will be a senior, we could use another safety if it is the right guy. I would really like to see Peters keep his word, because he would become an important defensive player for us at some point. But we have a lot of legitimate SEC linebackers returning, so I will not worry about it.

Justin: Is it a known fact that X. Peters received a LOI to sign for Dec; i.e., might there have been a reason he didn't actually receive one? Thx.

Was UK really upset SJ-L & MH went elsewhere?
Alexander, Upshaw, and Oliver are bigger, longer receivers. If reports about Dailey's recruitment are to be believed, he could be another large UK receiver. With Bone, Ross and J. Richardson gone now, and Baker gone soon, maybe length and strength are the recruiting priority.

Won't Darius West qualify for an additional year of eligibility since he missed both the 2015 & 2016 seasons with injuries? If so, that will help offset the exodus in the secondary a little bit.

West can apply to the NCAA for an additional season. I wouldn't get my hopes up, because these are harder to get then they were in the days of Matt McCutchan. West, Edwards, Baity, Westry, and Johnson graduate after the 2018 season. We already have a lot of excellent younger players - Gilliam, Robinson, Ajian, Williams, Corker, Griffin, Brown, Garner, Nesbitt, Dort, Hughes. There won't be a talent dropoff, but the experience dropoff is frightening.

Also, wasn't Zy'aire Hughes getting some good reports in the secondary as well? Any chance he moves back to WR if the numbers are lacking there?

Hughes' move to the secondary appears permanent. If Hughes returned to the receiver rotation, he would compete with Bowden, Ali, Thomas, Hayes for playing time in the slot. I think we are good there.

Reactions: jauk11
West can apply to the NCAA for an additional season. I wouldn't get my hopes up, because these are harder to get then they were in the days of Matt McCutchan. West, Edwards, Baity, Westry, and Johnson graduate after the 2018 season. We already have a lot of excellent younger players - Gilliam, Robinson, Ajian, Williams, Corker, Griffin, Brown, Garner, Nesbitt, Dort, Hughes. There won't be a talent dropoff, but the experience dropoff is frightening.

Hughes' move to the secondary appears permanent. If Hughes returned to the receiver rotation, he would compete with Bowden, Ali, Thomas, Hayes for playing time in the slot. I think we are good there.

Well, according to some of the experts on here that discount experience, since these players are talented we should be even better after all our seniors leave, lol. Of course after next year experience will be the premium by these same posters, talent, not so much.

Before the early signing period, we continually looked for verbal commitments right up to signing date, with the expectation that some recruits would not announce until they signed.

Verbal commitments seem now to be more about the early signing date. Do we expect any commitments before second signing day or do we just wait and see? I think that day could be crazy, even though involving a relatively small percentage of recruits.

De-committed after his official visit there? Wonder if he was persuaded to look elsewhere?

UGA had planned on signing 4 DB in this class, 3 signed early, Wildgoose wanted to take some visits. As it turns out, 3 DB UGA kept in contact with are visiting, including Tyson Campbell who came the same weekend Wildgoose visited. Campbell was and is the topCB on our board. Maybe he told someone he wanted in the class the other 2 I don't think we have much of a chance with, an O'Neal kid out of Texas and Isach Taylor Stuart from Cali.

We signed 20, looking to sign 5 more, 2 DL, both committed, 1DB, 1 LB and 1WR.

Wildgoose is a little raw, but very physical and fluid with a chance to be a very good player, I would have been happy if he had stuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
UGA had planned on signing 4 DB in this class, 3 signed early, Wildgoose wanted to take some visits. As it turns out, 3 DB UGA kept in contact with are visiting, including Tyson Campbell who came the same weekend Wildgoose visited. Campbell was and is the topCB on our board. Maybe he told someone he wanted in the class the other 2 I don't think we have much of a chance with, an O'Neal kid out of Texas and Isach Taylor Stuart from Cali.

We signed 20, looking to sign 5 more, 2 DL, both committed, 1DB, 1 LB and 1WR.

Wildgoose is a little raw, but very physical and fluid with a chance to be a very good player, I would have been happy if he had stuck.

I thought you had 23 after the early signing period, normal attrition or???

Any of the six five stars leave, lol. Seems like your new coach is a lot more concerned about winning than Richt was.

Maybe I misread, guess you had 23 committed and only 20 signed, Wildgoose and the two DL didn't sign, still have the two DTs committed so 22 committed now.

UKSanders thanks for asking about Zy'Aire Hughes. He was Mr. everything at McCracken Co and Lone Oak before the consolidation. From QB to running back to wide receiver. Now after being asked to move to defensive back, I haven't heard his name mentioned. He will be a redshirt Junior. He has a lot of talent. After the spring game coming up in a couple of months he may transfer where he can play. I don't mean to sound like I know something because I don't. Just would like to see him get a chance.[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT