ADVERTISEMENT

Ran into a Louisville fan who said they will win appeal

Nothing to appeal. They lost 4 years of basketball. If the NCAA didn't act the way they did then every rule was going to get overturned.

ul had to go down.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
They won't win their appeal. Courts pretty much rubber stamp all but the most outrageous adjudications of voluntary-membership organizations like the NCAA. The entire structure is just a contract, and one that gives wide latitude to the NCAA enforcement committees to interpret and enforce their own rules.

I don't think Louisville fans comprehend the bar they'll have to reach to achieve anything by an appeal. The court will not second guess the NCAA, unless it is apparent that the COI's decision was a total departure from either the factual record or the range of punishments contemplated by the bylaws. Even the most sympathetic judge couldn't characterize the penalties as anything worse than "a little on the harsh side." The conduct of the coaching staff is far more likely to shock a judicial conscience.

I'm all for the appeal because it means Louisville will waste hundreds of thousands of dollars to achieve the singular result of keeping their besmirched name in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

1498107857605.jpg

They won't win their appeal. Courts pretty much rubber stamp all but the most outrageous adjudications of voluntary-membership organizations like the NCAA. The entire structure is just a contract, and one that gives wide latitude to the NCAA enforcement committees to interpret and enforce their own rules.

I don't think Louisville fans comprehend the bar they'll have to reach to achieve anything by an appeal. The court will not second guess the NCAA, unless it is apparent that the COI's decision was a total departure from either the factual record or the range of punishments contemplated by the bylaws. Even the most sympathetic judge couldn't characterize the penalties as anything worse than "a little on the harsh side." The conduct of the coaching staff is far more likely to shock a judicial conscience.

I'm all for the appeal because it means Louisville will waste hundreds of thousands of dollars to achieve the singular result of keeping their besmirched name in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Plus it will stay in the news and be fresh in every recruit's parents mind for months. I hope they re-appeal if they lose this one. lol

Yes and Kentucky Tax payers will be the one's paying for it.

But guys.... they cooooooo operationeted or something ... shouldnt they get off with a cookie and a warning?

Stupid UL fans....... I think the moment they tried to bargain with the NCAA that rim jobs and hummer polishing were nothing more than 100$ gifts...... is when the cooperating turned into defiance and P*ssed the NCAA even more.

I bet they do win it and get the title back. Wouldn't shock me at all. The only thing I agree with Pitino on is not trusting the NCAA.

They will probably win one small thing in the appeal. The 5 game suspension of Pitino will probably be moved to the beginning of the year instead of the first 5 ACC games. Syracuse was able to do this for Boeheim when they received their penalties, which makes you wonder why the NCAA tried to do it again in this case. After that we'll have to see if UofL is stupid enough to try and sue the NCAA.

I can' see UL winning the appeal because they have already admitted to doing wrong. If anything Pinto should have more than a 5 game suspension.

Reactions: Bluest Member
This isn't a court of law here, the NCAA has all the proof they need of what went on at Minardi Hall. Own it and move on.

I think they only thing they could actually appeal would be Pitino's 5 game suspension. I mean they admit that there were strippers and the NCAA has already said they don't care what the strippers cost. the only other thing they could argue is which players were ineligible but i'm pretty sure that is set in stone. everything we have seen (from the press conference to the friends of the ville letter) has seemed to be all about Pitino keeping his job and propping up the lie that he knew nothing and thus should not be punished

Just tells me that none of them understand just how awful and disgusting all this is.
Do they not understand that 16 and 17 year old kids were involved in this?
Do they not understand that these hookers were paid by UL athletics to have sex with players, recruits and a couple of their fathers?
The whole thing is disgusting and they SHOULD be embarrassed.
They always say that "slapdicks" only care about wins, but look at how they are acting right now. None of them are talking about how embarrassed they are.
Pitino keeps running his mouth like he's the victim, he is making it worse, especially when he still should be ashamed to show his face after the Karen Sypher restaurant incident.

They will probably win one small thing in the appeal. The 5 game suspension of Pitino will probably be moved to the beginning of the year instead of the first 5 ACC games. Syracuse was able to do this for Boeheim when they received their penalties, which makes you wonder why the NCAA tried to do it again in this case. After that we'll have to see if UofL is stupid enough to try and sue the NCAA.
I think they hand out some punishments with adjustments through appeal in mind. They can't budge on ineligible players so they build in some ability for movement elsewhere. It could be the number or timing of suspended games for Pitino.

Talked to a friend who is a UL fan about this, and he thinks they got off easy, except he doesn't think the banners should come down. He buys the Bilas argument. But he also doesn't think Pitino should be fired. Cognitive dissonance I guess.

Last edited:
Just agree with any UL fan that thinks they'll win the appeal...heck, pump up their chances and get them excited about all of the possibilities of winning that appeal.

Then sit back and enjoy...

Exactly. They aren't winning any appeal

Reactions: WildcatDJ
I bet they do win it and get the title back. Wouldn't shock me at all. The only thing I agree with Pitino on is not trusting the NCAA.
There is almost zero chance of that. UL admits the parties happened. The players/recruits present have been corroborated. The NCAA is within normal procedures declaring players ineligible. If an ineligible player was played, the game must be vacated. There is no wiggle room here and despite @zipp, there is nothing a judge will do about it either.

Just tells me that none of them understand just how awful and disgusting all this is.
Do they not understand that 16 and 17 year old kids were involved in this?
Do they not understand that these hookers were paid by UL athletics to have sex with players, recruits and a couple of their fathers?
The whole thing is disgusting and they SHOULD be embarrassed.
They always say that "slapdicks" only care about wins, but look at how they are acting right now. None of them are talking about how embarrassed they are.
Pitino keeps running his mouth like he's the victim, he is making it worse, especially when he still should be ashamed to show his face after the Karen Sypher restaurant incident.
They are UofSmell fans like Zipp , tell me you expect any different !!

Nothing to appeal. They lost 4 years of basketball. If the NCAA didn't act the way they did then every rule was going to get overturned.

ul had to go down.
It was either them or uncheat and you know you will always get the short straw in that deal...now uncheat gets off with nothing!

I think a lot of people - including UofL fans - don't understand this process. You don't get a second bite at the apple, a second chance. It's not like they are saying to the appeals committee "OK, you've seen the evidence, what do you think the punishment should be?" The question for the appeals committee is - did the COI folks abuse its discretion? There may in fact be a bunch of folks on the appeals committee who think "You know, that's harsh. I wouldn't have decided that way. I wouldn't have taken the banner. But the Committee on Infractions played by the rules and operated within the realm of their authority." Likewise, if they lose the appeal and take it to court, they aren't asking a judge "You've seen the evidence, what do you think the punishment should be?" All a judge would do is decide whether the NCAA operated as it was set up to operate, did it abide by the rules it has in place to decide these kinds of things?

I can see a glimmer of hope for the appeal. I can see maybe the appeals committee not wanting to establish a precedent for taking down a title, and using the "this was the first time we've heard a case like this" as an excuse to come out differently. I don't think the chances of that happening are very high, but I could see it. Maybe a 25% chance? But I see zero chance of them winning a lawsuit.....

I think a lot of people - including UofL fans - don't understand this process. You don't get a second bite at the apple, a second chance. It's not like they are saying to the appeals committee "OK, you've seen the evidence, what do you think the punishment should be?" The question for the appeals committee is - did the COI folks abuse its discretion? There may in fact be a bunch of folks on the appeals committee who think "You know, that's harsh. I wouldn't have decided that way. I wouldn't have taken the banner. But the Committee on Infractions played by the rules and operated within the realm of their authority." Likewise, if they lose the appeal and take it to court, they aren't asking a judge "You've seen the evidence, what do you think the punishment should be?" All a judge would do is decide whether the NCAA operated as it was set up to operate, did it abide by the rules it has in place to decide these kinds of things?

I can see a glimmer of hope for the appeal. I can see maybe the appeals committee not wanting to establish a precedent for taking down a title, and using the "this was the first time we've heard a case like this" as an excuse to come out differently. I don't think the chances of that happening are very high, but I could see it. Maybe a 25% chance? But I see zero chance of them winning a lawsuit.....

I personally think 25% is too high. UL admitted to the hooker parties and that recruits AND players slept with them, making said players ineligible. There's no other way of arguing it. This is a combination of posturing and blind arrogance on UL's part. I honestly think Pitino/Jurich know their boat is sinking with no hope of saving it and they are going out guns blazing to save a little face with the UL fanbase.

Reactions: Mojocat
ADVERTISEMENT