ADVERTISEMENT

Quickley 18 assists only 2 turnovers

Epitome of solid, but I don't see how you can keep Hagans and his energy/defense on the bench. Either would be a fine 6th man as would Quade...

Between Hagans/Quickley and the sprinkled in PG minutes of Quade, our PG play is solid as hell.

Reactions: Cindog28
Between Hagans/Quickley and the sprinkled in PG minutes of Quade, our PG play is solid as hell.

....and their games compliment each other so nicely. Bledsoe and Wall were awesome together, but were similar players with Bledsoe shooting a bit better. These 3, their strengths and weaknesses fit perfect together. All 3 look to be solid defenders as well(with an elite defender in Hagans). 2 of the 3 can shoot and the one who cant is blazing fast and quick as a cat.

Reactions: Mike-D
I believe he will start.

Hagans is my guess. Kid just disrupts too much. He will be alot better with the ball as the season moves along but Quickley will play too. I think Cal loves Ashton's potential on the defensive end. Him and Nelson bring that fight and energy and it's infectious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats192
I love him, he is like mistake free basketball. Plus the way he knocks down the 3 I love him out there with Hagans. We have great depth everywhere, but at the point it's crazy.

He and Keldon have been pleasant surprises shooting. A lot of it has to do with the fact that our other players are getting them wide open looks, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. What a luxury.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
....and their games compliment each other so nicely. Bledsoe and Wall were awesome together, but were similar players with Bledsoe shooting a bit better. These 3, their strengths and weaknesses fit perfect together. All 3 look to be solid defenders as well(with an elite defender in Hagans). 2 of the 3 can shoot and the one who cant is blazing fast and quick as a cat.

Yup. Quickley has surprised me. Didn’t realize he would be this steady. Great that he is, because while Hagans is a beast on defense, he makes his fair share of turnovers. And then Quade’s been lighting it up. Him and P.J. have completely different looking bodies this year, and it shows. They have been different players. P.J. dunks on everybody.

Reactions: TheySoSensitive
I'm hoping Hagans can get those high school throw it through 2 defenders style passes out of his system before SEC play, shew wee are those frustrating.

Another thing about PJ and Quade is they look like they're out to prove something. Not just out there playing because its game time but because they actually want to take someone's soul on the court.

Quickly is much better than I thought he would be. I think he will start and with Green. Green plays great without the ball in his hands. Hagans I think will come off the bench to give Quickly a rest .

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Quickly is much better than I thought he would be. I think he will start and with Green. Green plays great without the ball in his hands. Hagans I think will come off the bench to give Quickly a rest .

I think this could be the starting combo early. Cal commented today about Quade playing so well off the ball, and that’s where he thinks he needs to play him.

Reactions: westerncat
I think this could be the starting combo early. Cal commented today about Quade playing so well off the ball, and that’s where he thinks he needs to play him.

Yeah, I heard that too. Sounded like Quade's starting at the two. IQ will start at the one. Herro, first guard off the bench IMO.

Quickley's not bad at defense in his own respect. I think he starts. Hagans will bring energy off the bench.

The great thing is that either option isn't a wrong option. They can both play.

Because he still has a ways to go as far as taking care of the ball. As a starter Hagans would average a good 4 turnovers a game. He’s not ready to start Which is understandable since he should be a Sr in HS. Quickley is clearly more ready for the starting pg spot

Epitome of solid, but I don't see how you can keep Hagans and his energy/defense on the bench. Either would be a fine 6th man as would Quade...

Because he still has a ways to go as far as taking care of the ball. As a starter Hagans would average a good 4 turnovers a game. He’s not ready to start Which is understandable since he should be a Sr in HS. Quickley is clearly more ready for the starting pg spot

Right but Hagans has a much higher ceiling and the way to get there is to get him as much live game action as possible. You rotate Quade and Quickley at the 1/2 as well. Everyone is going to get minutes, but for Hagans to reach his potential by tournament time he needs to be on the court as much as possible. You can tell Cal sees something in him as well because of how hard he is on Hagans. He knows that kid can be great, and is going to push and push and push until he gets there.

I think alot of it should be based on matchups. Some games Quickley might be better to start at the one, some games Quade, and some games Hagans skill set will be the best. I agree he needs to chill on the wild passes but he has so many WOW moments you almost have to live with it until he learns(which he appears to do pretty fast).

Knowing how much Cal values taking care of the ball, does he strt at PG?
Yes imo. Runs the offense much better right now and can hit the open 3. Hagans will play a ton and probably a lot with Quickley, but he's a little loose with the ball right now.

Reactions: Cats192
Yes imo. Runs the offense much better right now and can hit the open 3. Hagans will play a ton and probably a lot with Quickley, but he's a little loose with the ball right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing us play Hagans off the ball and have him guard the 1 while essentially being an extra point on offense. Then you've got to find a spot for Herro because you cant keep him out of the starting lineup. This team definitely has options thats for sure.

I wouldn't mind seeing us play Hagans off the ball and have him guard the 1 while essentially being an extra point on offense. Then you've got to find a spot for Herro because you cant keep him out of the starting lineup. This team definitely has options thats for sure.
it's kind of dizzying the number of options for line ups we'll have this year
There was really no drop off until the walk-ons entered the game

it's kind of dizzying the number of options for line ups we'll have this year
There was really no drop off until the walk-ons entered the game

...and even then Johnny David didnt look out of place. Brad did, with his diaper shorts. He wont even shoot when he's open. Wish Sam Malone could give Brad some walk on tips as far as aggressiveness. Not sure what's holding him back from just firing those effers up there. What does he have to lose?

Your guards are Quickley, Hagans, and Herro. Quade is a nice player, but he's 4th best on this team.

Just MHO, of course.

Go 'Cats !

...and even then Johnny David didnt look out of place. Brad did, with his diaper shorts. He wont even shoot when he's open. Wish Sam Malone could give Brad some walk on tips as far as aggressiveness. Not sure what's holding him back from just firing those effers up there. What does he have to lose?
Oh my gosh, that floater by JD had me rolling.
You're right, even Jonny looked fine out there. No telling what's going on with Brad

I think you gotta start him. Having Hagans come off the bench helps bring a lot of energy to the table. Much like Ulis did in '15.

I think Cal will start Quade at the 2 and let Herro come in for him then when KJ needs a break Herro will slide over to SF, this will get Herro lots of minutes. Quickly is starting at PG.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I'd start Hagans and IQ, let Quade sub for either guy as the sixth man. Or start Quade and let IQ sub in at either spot. Depends on their personalities.

He’s not ready to start Which is understandable since he should be a Sr in HS. Quickley is clearly more ready for the starting pg spot

Hagans is already 19. More like he should be a soph in college. But we know how those games are played.

I think this is the starting backcourt. I think Hagans plays with Herro more . They complement each other well - Hagans is terror on defense and Herro can light it up on offense

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
From the small action we saw in the preseason games I think Hagans is an energy guy off the bench as of right now.

He was a nightmare on defense but also displayed zero shooting touch and was turnover prone.

IQ played much more under control, has a good enough shot, and played solid defense. None of know how it will be playing out in March, but what I saw in the Bahamas was pretty clear, to me.

IQ is not a risk taker like many freshmen tend to be in making a big or spectacular play, he’s conservative which limits mistakes. If I were in need of a big comeback I may not opt for him but to care for a lead late in the game he would be an excellent choice.

Might lose his diaper shorts. [laughing]

ADVERTISEMENT