ADVERTISEMENT

Question for professionals/ coach's/players ?

Trubluepopeye

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2010
I've been a cat fan and football season ticket holder for more years than I care to admit. Having said that I have a question on technique in tackling. It seems to me that tackling has become almost non existent in college football but bumping a player down by throwing your body into the ball player and not using their hands. Is this taught now in football ? I played many moon ago in high school and we was taught the wrap up,lift and drive to bring down the ball carrier by attacking from the waist down, I've watched hundreds of times as would be tacklers come flying up and hurl their bodies into the player to just bounce off and hit the ground. Gotta admit it drives me crazy ?

I've been a cat fan and football season ticket holder for more years than I care to admit. Having said that I have a question on technique in tackling. It seems to me that tackling has become almost non existent in college football but bumping a player down by throwing your body into the ball player and not using their hands. Is this taught now in football ? I played many moon ago in high school and we was taught the wrap up,lift and drive to bring down the ball carrier by attacking from the waist down, I've watched hundreds of times as would be tacklers come flying up and hurl their bodies into the player to just bounce off and hit the ground. Gotta admit it drives me crazy ?
It seems like wrapping up players is a thing of the past. I would like to see it happen more

I am not a professional, I am a couch coach like these other guys on here

Guys are afraid it could damage their tats if they are wrapped around a player when he goes to the ground. No really I think they are all going for that Sportscenter highlight reel hit. A good form tackle doesn't do that for them, I cringe everytime I see someone just throw their body into someone's legs, but I do understand not wanting to put a shoulder into a guy who has you by 40 lbs that has a head of steam built up.

Reactions: Levibooty
Pete Carroll made Hawk/Rugby tackling popular in football which has now been adopted by most youth organizations and the NFHS

It is safer and intended to keep the head out of the tackle. However, wrapping is still an element.

Track the near hip of the ball carrier
Eyes to the thigh,
Wrap and roll or drive for 5 if still on feet.

No longer is he head in front or teaching to plant the face mask into the chest.

Reactions: CC_332 and jof2
There are rules about tackling low. I know it is a flag if you hit a QB low, and also if you hit him when he slides down (unless he is in a Kentucky uniform). But the Kentucky uniform rules applies to a lot of different calls, like you can't have your hands/body on a WR when the ball is on the air unless he is a UK player, you can't tackle the WR before he has the ball unless he is a UK player, you can't hold a player unless....., can't hit a player after the play is dead, .....

I coach middle school football. We teach our kids to hit with the chest, wrap and grab jersey, and explode/roll the hips.

As someone said earlier, a lot of players these days are more concerned with making their teammates/fans "ooh" and "aw" than with actually making the tackle - from youth football up through college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT