ADVERTISEMENT

Question about NIL deals

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
From a larger perspective, whose life is so empty that they feel the need to bestow $100s of thousands of dollars on some teenager just so they'll come play for Ole State U? And, yes, I love UK FB and want us to go unbeaten every year. Am I foolish enough to write a big check to some kid so they'll come to UK - uh, no. And, honestly, how long does this go on? Will there be individuals/boosters who just include in their budget a big check to some HS senior? What's the risk/reward for this behavior? I'm assuming most wealthy individuals aren't complete idiots so why would they write a check like this year after year? I'm certainly of the opinion that this new system with NIL will require that star players are 'bought' every year to keep them from the transfer portal. If I wrote a big check to get some 5* recruit to UK, I better be prepared to write another one every year or that same kid could easily bolt for the highest bidder. And what, pray tell, do I have to show for my money if this happens (even if it doesn't)? I just can't get my head around that there will be an endless supply of NIL/endorsement dollars for HS seniors. At some point, won't the wealthy boosters just quit funding these ridiculous deals? I'm fine with a player doing a commercial for local businesses and getting paid. Or Will Levis receiving a cut of any jersey with #7 and his name on it. But, multi-millions to a HS player who has accomplished exactly NOTHING at the college level and may bolt for the next highest dollar when it suits him? I can't imagine this is sustainable.

Reactions: gojvc
There are some good questions in there about this still undefined thing known as NIL.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT