ADVERTISEMENT

Quade Green

He played well today. SGA is a good guard, probably more of a combo guard and Green looks to pass more. I think the stretch when Green was out with back problems hurt us more than just those few games.

Yup no doubt. SGA running the point was fools gold for us. Kid plays hard and won us a game or two but moving SGA to the 2 and let Green facilitate the team will be the smart move imo

Yup no doubt. SGA running the point was fools gold for us. Kid plays hard and won us a game or two but moving SGA to the 2 and let Green facilitate the team will be the smart move imo

You're right. And Cal's lineup stubbornness is really getting frustrating.

It's been patently obvious for a long time now that our best backcourt is with Green at the 1 and SGA at the 2 spot. Yet Cal simply refuses to start those two together, and I don't know why, he just seems to have it locked in his head that Diallo has to start no matter what.

It's bee patently obvious for a long time now that our best backcourt is with Green at the 1 and SGA at the 2 spot. Yet Cal simply refuses to start those two together, and I don't know why, he just seems to have it locked in his head that Diallo has to start no matter what.

At least Cal didn't throw Hami back in there for the last 4 minutes so hopefully something has dawned on him in the likes of we can't play Hami down the stretch and have to stay with qaude and sga.

Diallo starts because of his effort. Cal rewards that.

Why Alexander starts over wade is because apparently SGA puts in more work between the games, even thigh the offense is clearly better with Green at the point.

It's frustrating at times, but Cal doesn't do things just to do them. He's gonna give these kids every chance to be successful, but in the end he's gonna reward the guys who he knows are gonna put it all out there.

Same reason why he never got on Dom his entire career, even when he messed up. He knew Hawkins was 100%.

You're just gonna have to accept it with Diallo. Cal isn't gonna give up on him because Diallo gives effort.

Why Alexander starts over wade is because apparently SGA puts in more work between the games, even thigh the offense is clearly better with Green at the point.

It's frustrating at times, but Cal doesn't do things just to do them. He's gonna give these kids every chance to be successful, but in the end he's gonna reward the guys who he knows are gonna put it all out there.

Same reason why he never got on Dom his entire career, even when he messed up. He knew Hawkins was 100%.

You're just gonna have to accept it with Diallo. Cal isn't gonna give up on him because Diallo gives effort.

Honestly I wouldn't care if Hami starts every game at UK as long as he isn't in there down the stretch is what matters. But I def know what you are saying.

Reactions: spotter34

Who is Wade?

And the question is not why he starts SGA over Green. Instead, it's why he starts Diallo over Green.

The backcourt that has played the best for us all year has been when Green and SGA are in together. It's become SO obvious. So WHY does Cal so stubbornly refuse to ever start that backcourt?

I'm starting to think Cal might've made a promise to Diallo that he'd start him every game to get him to come back this year. Because I really don't know how else to explain why he so steadfastly refuses to ever take him out of the starting lineup no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatfan-2-
I don't care what you call them, both SGA and Green need to be on the floor the majority of the time (like today). Green's biggest contribution was hitting some shots. That's what's been killing this team. Both he and SGA had 4 assists each. They're both combo guards in reality.

Quade is clearly playing the best out of the guards right now and if Cal decides to insert him in the starting lineup then great, if not, it's not a big deal. Cal will have the guys that are producing in the game when it matters. With Diallo, Cal is clearly trying to do things to build his confidence and maybe he realizes that not starting him would shatter what little confidence he has right now. Quade is clearly producing off the bench so why disrupt things by putting him in the starting lineup? There is no rule that a coach has to start his best players.

Reactions: Sejonesy and Aike
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Quade's D looked really good today. He was smothering Sexton late.
I was going to put this in another thread then scrolled down and found this....If you go back and watch the last 4-5 minutes he absolutely would not let Sexton get by and we got great help inside....the best 5 minutes of d we played all year.

Diallo may try hard in practice, but as soon as the big lights come on his efforts go toward a noxious combination of recklessness and self-absorption. The young man has gallons of talent, but what he doesn't seem to realize is that his style of play negates that talent. Defenders know that when he drives he's a charge waiting to happen; defenders know that he'll take threes he should not take; defenders know that you can over-rotate toward him because he simply won't pass. If he wasn't so damn predictable then maybe he'd get an open lane to the hoop every once in a while.

We're all different, but i feel like Cal catering to a coue of players have cost us a few games. I know he don't want to give up on Diallo, but he had better play the best players or we'll continue to struggle. I feel like Diallo getting 15 mins is about right. Washington played 28mins.to Vanderbilts 19mins. I would love to see those reversed. PJ 16pts. 5rebs., 5 turnovers. Vanderbilt 11pts., 9rebs, 1 turnover.

Been apparent for at least a couple weeks imo that Green and SGA should be starting together with Diallo on the bench. Diallo not one of our 5 best players, and both SGA and Green are much better.

Statistically he's our third best player although I would rank him tied for second. He just happens to be at a position where two others are bringing more to the table.

Cal preseason appointed team "leaders" tend to have the longest leashes despite disappointing play. One of the reasons I dislike that he says its going to be this one or that ones team the upcoming season.

2018 Named Diallo (shouldve been Green)
2017 Named Briscoe (became Fox)
2016 Named Poythress (became Ulis)

I understand Cal riding SGA (hes been terrific), but perhaps not allowing Green the time to develop as the teams PG and leader has been whats stunted our offensive development. SGA can still do what he does from the 2 spot.

Reactions: brianpoe
We are much better when Green is at the point. He understands how to distribute the basketball and can hit the shot. Put him at PG and let him operate

It's been patently obvious for a long time now that our best backcourt is with Green at the 1 and SGA at the 2 spot. Yet Cal simply refuses to start those two together, and I don't know why, he just seems to have it locked in his head that Diallo has to start no matter what.
Not sure what all the complaining after a win. Who cares who starts together? They were both in the game at crunch time. Cal coached a great game yesterday, but some always find something to complain about. It actually is better with Shai at the 1 and Green at the 2. Shai a better with penetration and Green a better shooter.

Last edited:
Quade did a helluva job and runs the offense better than SGA.

That said, SGA made some huge defensive plays late.

I’ve actually been craving some Green-SGA-Diallo lineups since the Louisville game.

Reactions: G-PIP
SGA running the point was fools gold for us.
Most fans form and change opinions from week to week. Coaches and NBA GMs professionally evaluate talent and upside. SGA will be drafted OAD in the 1st round as an NBA point guard. Quade Green will be back here in Lexington next year. I like both players, but what you are saying here is not what you would have said 3 weeks ago, and probably isn't what you will say 3 weeks into the future. Our fans are angry at Diallo right now, but I have seen 1,000 iterations of this faddish trashing of our players. Next week or the following week, Diallo will snap out of his shooting slump, make a couple of snazzy dunks, and everyone will jump right back on his bandwagon. Diallo has had a tough stretch, for sure. But Diallo isn't the problem with this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP
Been apparent for at least a couple weeks imo that Green and SGA should be starting together with Diallo on the bench. Diallo not one of our 5 best players, and both SGA and Green are much better.
It's apparent to everyone except the one person that matters...

Reactions: Sejonesy
Not sure what all the complaining after a win. Who cares who starts together? They were both in the game at crunch time. Cal coached a great game yesterday, but some always find something to complain about. It actually is better with Shai at the 1 and Green at the 2. Shai a better with penetration and Green a better shooter.
It absolutely matters who starts. I would much rather come out swinging rather than get in a hole right off the bat. To say otherwise is silly.

Cal can’t bench Diallo this late in the season. Hami would absolutely check out mentally if he didn’t start. Both Quade and Shai have proven they can come off the bench. Would rather start Hami and see if he can give us anything and, if not, play both point guards together.

We're all different, but i feel like Cal catering to a coue of players have cost us a few games. I know he don't want to give up on Diallo, but he had better play the best players or we'll continue to struggle. I feel like Diallo getting 15 mins is about right. Washington played 28mins.to Vanderbilts 19mins. I would love to see those reversed. PJ 16pts. 5rebs., 5 turnovers. Vanderbilt 11pts., 9rebs, 1 turnover.
I think Vanderbilt's lower minutes are due to him not really being in shape yet more than anything else.

I disagree and nobody is really complaining, it's just a discussion.
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but Green is not just the better shooter, he's also a far better passer, which, IMO, makes him the better candidate for the 1 spot.
The ball sticks in Alexander's hands and that really stalls our offense.
But don't get me wrong, I absolutely love SGA, the kid is so much better than we thought he would be, but he's a 2 guard.

Cal can’t bench Diallo this late in the season. Hami would absolutely check out mentally if he didn’t start. Both Quade and Shai have proven they can come off the bench. Would rather start Hami and see if he can give us anything and, if not, play both point guards together.
Since when does Cal cater to a player because he thinks a decision will hurt the kid's feelings?
If Diallo isn't bothered by being benched in crunch time I doubt he'll cry if he doesn't start.
If Diallo was a true team player he would tell the coach to start someone else. He's struggling right now, played better yesterday, but he's still in a funk.

I know. I’ll admit that when I thought about Green defending Sexton, my guess was Sexton would go for 30. But Green stepped up in a big way today.
Spot on. Maybe the best all around game he has had. I was worried about Sexton, but Quade defended him very well. Sexton got a late garbage bucket to get to 12 points. Great game from Quade

I’m not a fan of playing Alexander at pg. He’s to slow and walks the ball up every time without pushing the ball. The iso thing doesn’t work either. It’s one guy pounding the ball into the ground trying to beat his man while everyone else stands around and watches. We need ball movement. I’m a big fan of Quade! He runs the break, moves the ball and finds the open man, plus he’s a knockdown shooter.

Reactions: brianpoe
The whole starting this is talked about way too much. Green plays alot more then Diallo WHEN IT MATTERS . Diallo is never in the game now when the game is on the line . Cal has to stick with Diallo as we ain't hitting out ceiling without him and diallo despite not getting it done on court is working his ass off in pratice and in games to try to lead. Its not like he is sitting on the bench sulking ect. But yes Green is a better player than Diallo right now .

ADVERTISEMENT