ADVERTISEMENT

Quade Green as a starter

Jul 30, 2018
I see a lot of Hagans and IQ love on this board as well as in the national/local media. I love them too. Hagans is arguably our best on-ball defender, good distributor, speedy. IQ brings a little bit of everything to the table.

But am I the only one that would love to see Green as our starting point guard? He really impressed me in the Bahamas. Green is smart, doesn't turn the ball over, not a terrible defender, but most importantly he brings a consistent offensive game to the table. He has a sweet floater, good mid-range, hit his free throws, and can shoot it from long range.

Hagans is a borderline bad shooter and missed several free throws. I want to see more of IQ, but I love Green's improvement and feel more comfortable with him in the game than the other two.

Starting lineup
1. Green
2. Herro
3. Johnson
4. Washington
5. Travis/Richards

Reactions: KFuqua and jmw23712
Been saying Green is the starter for months. He’s a veteran. He can shoot. And he knows what it’s like to play in the very tough SEC, especially on the road.

Reactions: KFuqua
this is the lineup I want to see get some run, seems like our best offense
1. Green
2. Herro
3. Johnson
4. Washington
5. Travis/Richards/Montgomery

Im still not sure who will best serve us at the 5 right now, all seem to have great potential.
And I hate leaving quickly out, he has great potential as well

I like having Green on the floor, but more in a secondary ball handler/spot up shooter role. He can definitely do the job in a pinch though.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
I think Green has to start. But it's looking like Cal wants him off the ball, so Green starting means Herro not starting - because KJ is starting. If it were up to me I'd start Green at point and Herro at the 2, but that isn't likely what Cal does. I'm thinking IQ-Green-KJ at the 1-2-3 and Herro as first sub for any of those guys.

IQ showed he deserves to be on the floor. Green is most effective off the ball. We have a lot of players that the offense can run thru, more optons , I think, than all of UK teams under Cal, even the 38 win team

I wouldn't be too concerned with starters. They are all going to play a good amount regardless. I think we may actually see starters change quite a few times during the season based purely on opposing match ups.

I thought Quade looked like a rock. Steady and consistent. Took care of the ball. Cal's comments about him playing off the ball confirm he'll play SG a lot more than PG this year.

I think it's a toss up as to who starts at the guard spots this year.

Hagans is the most talented guard, but he's inexperienced and probably going to make some mistakes early. Best defender of the bunch.

Quickley is probably the most complete. He's rebounding it at a high rate, he's passing it well, he's making 3's, he isn't turning the ball over. He drives it well.

Green also takes care of the ball, makes shots at a high rate. He knows what Cal expects.

Herro: Instant offense. Can make shots, can drive it. Stirs the drink in a lot of ways.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I remember last year at this time I made a statement.

I thought SGA had a good chance to be the starting PG after I saw him in the Derby Classic...everyone kept saying "No way is Quade not starting...Cal is gonna start his 5 star"

Well guess what? Cal made the move and played the better player. Quade is an experienced floor general and has a great arsenal of offensive moves. He's a leader that the other guards are following. He def has a GREAT chance to start if he's the best player.

My opinion...Hagans is the PG by March...but to discount Green is foolish. A former 5-star with a year of experience...who is working his butt off and setting an example has no chance?

Based on what we saw in the Bahamas, I really think things clicked with Green and Quickley starting and Hagans and Herro off the bench. Really love the boost of energy that Hagans/Herro brought off the bench.

Green is starting to show the ability to create his own shot. He’s nowhere near Ulis levels, but he’s progressing and has to shoot in similar ways as Ulis. This adds a lot of value to what he brings game in game out. We don’t need him to score a lot, but he’s going to be the most consistent guard out of the 4 I believe.

He will get something along the lines of 10-12 points, 3-4 assists, with minimal turnovers game in game out. All while not taking too many shots. I think he should start.

I like having Green on the floor, but more in a secondary ball handler/spot up shooter role. He can definitely do the job in a pinch though.

Exactly this too!!! If you heard Cal's post Bahama comments, he likes Quade off ball and I think it's for his benefit too. He needs to expand his skill set if he wants to make it in the NBA. He needs to show them that he can do various things.

Reactions: Aike
Quade has a quicker first step and release this year. Was impressed with how he was able to create space and get his shot off in traffic. He’ll get plenty of time whether he starts or comes off the bench. Remember, it’s not who starts, it’s who finishes.

I see a lot of Hagans and IQ love on this board as well as in the national/local media. I love them too. Hagans is arguably our best on-ball defender, good distributor, speedy. IQ brings a little bit of everything to the table.

But am I the only one that would love to see Green as our starting point guard? He really impressed me in the Bahamas. Green is smart, doesn't turn the ball over, not a terrible defender, but most importantly he brings a consistent offensive game to the table. He has a sweet floater, good mid-range, hit his free throws, and can shoot it from long range.

Hagans is a borderline bad shooter and missed several free throws. I want to see more of IQ, but I love Green's improvement and feel more comfortable with him in the game than the other two.

Starting lineup
1. Green
2. Herro
3. Johnson
4. Washington
5. Travis/Richards
There is no argument as to who our best on ball defender is, Hagans is going to be an all timer at it. I agree Quade Green should start though, but with Quickley next to him. You bring sparks off the bench and thats what Tyler Herro is, look at what types of players always win the 6th man awards in the NBA (Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, JJ Reddick, Lou Williams). Herro is our best pure scorer and the perfect 6th man.

Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Richards

Herro
Travis
Hagans
Montgomery

In this order, Travis is such a class act he won’t mind coming off the bench.

Welcome virgin poster! Green will start but play off the ball. I also see what I like in quickly, but I think Hagans gets the nod

Starters
IQ
Green
Johnson
Washington
Richards

End of game
Green
Herro
Johnson
Reid
Richards

I like this lineup at the end of game:

G Quickley
G Green
G Herro
F Travis
F Richards

That's your best combo of shooters (FT and otherwise) and rebounders, IMHO.

Reactions: KY_DO_ENT
I like this lineup at the end of game:

G Quickley
G Green
G Herro
F Travis
F Richards

That's your best combo of shooters (FT and otherwise) and rebounders, IMHO.

Bucs......Really? No PJ?

Please tell me a single reason why Nick should be in the game over PJ? Free throws don't count cause of offensive production. What has Nick done to get that nod?

By the time we get into the SEC part of games Green will be your starter because of experience. I think in the early part of the seclude I can see IQ getting some starting minutes (except for Duke). Cal has a lot to experiment with and a lot can happen in the next few months. Going to be a fun season.

Starting lineup
1. Green
2. Herro
3. Johnson
4. Washington
5. Travis/Richards
I like this starting lineup. Cal said he would recruit shooters and this is the best group he could put on the floor.

Starting lineup
1. Green
2. Herro
3. Johnson
4. Washington
5. Travis/Richards
His size will make him a liability against good teams in the tournament. Quade will still get minutes, but man, we have some crazy combination options in the backcourt. Wow, it’s a smorgasbord of talent.

Reactions: Cat in ga
ADVERTISEMENT