ADVERTISEMENT

Pure and simple, look at the stats!

If we make 14/19 we go to OT. 16/19 is not realistic. Sadly Briscoe was a big part of our woes again missing 3/4.

That is not the reason we lost though. There were a lot of reasons we lost...this is just one of many. People who claim FTs lose a game by themselves do not understand sports and what goes into winning or losing a game.

If we make 14/19 we go to OT. 16/19 is not realistic. Sadly Briscoe was a big part of our woes again missing 3/4.

That is not the reason we lost though. There were a lot of reasons we lost...this is just one of many. People who claim FTs lose a game by themselves do not understand sports and what goes into winning or losing a game.

seriously...why bring up Briscoe... jesus some of you go out of the way to attack a player.

Reactions: BrowDown23
Or a bs "foul" isn't called or a missed travel (especially maye's at the end) or push-off on UNC is called or fox didn't pick up two quick fouls or 4 cats didn't have two fouls in the first half or Bams put back "over the back" bs wasn't called or the offensive goal tending call wasn't called or a million other things. The refs gave UNC way too many chances. We also had plenty of chances to win as well, even with 5v8. Way too many missed 3's by out shooters, dry streak on the 12-0 UNC run, and plenty of other things. The refs beat us but we also beat ourselves. If we had played like we did against UCLA, would have been a 20 point win.

Sometime missed FT's can lead to better opportunities and sometimes more points. This is a bogus argument.

Reactions: TexKat
Sometime missed FT's can lead to better opportunities and sometimes more points. This is a bogus argument.
Several valid points here I suppose. Just looking for areas of team improving that may make a difference going forward. Anyone know team FT stats for other final 4 teams? No player blaming here.

I'm a former collegiate athlete and high school coach. I know the games. The only place I've ever heard free throws are not one of the most important aspects of winning close games is here. I've been to clinics hosted by Donovan, Matta, Cal etc also spent lots of time in AAU ball with the Nash Celtics and Memphis blue. Coaches know and will tell you human aspects of basketball will happen. You're going to turn the ball over. You're going to miss long shots. You're going to miss assignments. Sometimes you will have no choice but to lose on defense to great offense.

The one thing you can control 100% is hitting a decent clip of free throws. Coaches work with kids on the mental aspects of shooting them, and technique. Most of the time it's mental and fundamentals take a hit. There's no reason, zero, for Briscoe to not be able to hit 3/4 from the line in these games. And not just him, any of them.

Not that it cost UK the game, but you damn straight it could have won it. I'll never understand anyone who discounts free throws in anyway, and it's not something coaches agree with. When the flow of a hard game against top competition brings you to a tight game with seconds left, yes, you can chalk up thousands and thousands of losses to one teams inability to hit the free ones.

Is free throw shooting % important. Sure! Free throws are a component of shooting, the most important skill in basketball.

Is free throw shooting % as important as FG%, turnovers, and offensive rebounding to winning? No.

Is free throw shooting % important. Sure! Free throws are a component of shooting, the most important skill in basketball.

Is free throw shooting % as important as FG%, turnovers, and offensive rebounding to winning? No.

Depends on the situation. Close games in the tournament yes. It can come down to free throws, the only aspect of basketball you have full control over, to ice games.

And again, fg% can be effected by defensive%. Turnovers can be effected by bad officiating, defense, hell a slippery floor. Offensive rebounding can be effected by good bigs who box out.

Free throws on the other hand, are 100% controllable by the individual, without interference of defenders, other teammates, coaches, officials etc. it is not excusable for a team to not hit at respectable clips. Briscoe as a guard has no excuse for missing 3/4 and so on.

UK might now have lost this game solely due to an inability to hit free throws, but it absolutely could have won it for them.

Up 5 with 3 minutes left (and we had the ball). I thought we had it. We blew it plain and simple.

Sure, the refs were bad
Sure, some guys struggled throughout game
Sure, we missed some free throws

But at that moment, you can let them go on a 12-0 run to finish it out. Whatever happened before that shouldn't matter. It's those last 3 minutes. We had it regardless of everything and then they took it from us. Just being honest here.

Lost by 2, missed 7 free throws.
All but 1 of our starters spent a large chunk of the first half on the bench.
BS offensive goaltend call.
BS over the back call that took another bucket away.

If this game was called like most every other game in the tournament, we win. It's that simple. The officiating determined the game and they need to be called out on it.
But we missed way too many key free throws. In a game that you know is going to go down to the wire you need every point you can get.
Congrats ref…. Er UNC.

Reactions: morgousky
There are tons of reasons we were in the position we were in.
  • Bogus call on Bam tipping in ball that was NOT above the cylinder.
  • We doubled to much on the block and left to many cutters open.
  • Non calls on obvious fouls. We were getting killed down low and it just wasn't getting called.
  • Bam had the Ball stripped out of his hand to many times.
  • When we were up 5 we had the ball with the chance to go up 7 and took a shot to early in the shot clock. One that we could have gotten at any point. Had we gone up 7 at that point we win.
  • Monk was cold for 90% of the night.
  • Monk hits a huge three at the end of the game and then he allows his guy to get behind him for an easy run out.
  • We missed several open 3s. Haven't gone back and counted buts it's at least 3, probably closer to 5 though. We hit one of those and the game is different.
  • We left that Maye kid open ALL night long. Not just the last possession either. ALL night! Which is criminal since he killed us last time too.
  • Even on the last play had we just tossed the ball in bounds we'd given ourselves a shot for a tip in.
I'm sure there are other things I forgot but we can't sit here and blame it on just one thing or one person.

I was mad we didn't our FTs too, but had we gone 19/19 the circumstances would have been different but it wouldn't necessarily have changed the outcome. They would have played differently and they were hitting every shot when they needed it.

Reactions: WildMoon
Bevause he shot 25%! Lmao attack? Grow up. I just stated a fact

you might want to learn when to use "grow up". Again, no reason to single out a player. Especially when that player was probably our best last night. Also the ones he missed were early in the game, probably didn't make much of difference in terms of flow.

We had 4 pts taken off the scoreboard due to terrible calls (over the back tip in and offensive interference). They say one call doesn't determine the outcome, but 2+ calls certainly can.

We cant control officiating, but we can absolutely make a better effort to practice
free throws, especially when we run an offense that is designed in many ways to pick up fouls from the other team. Work on what we can control and many times bad officiating will be easier to overcome.

We lost the game because neither Mulder nor Willis could hit an open 3, they had their chances, and the free throws. Sure the officiating was horrendous, but aren't we used to that when we play UNC or Duke?

It always sucks to leave points at the line. This team improved their FT shooting a lot over the course of the year but we were never going to win a FT shooting contest with NC. I knew it was going to take a near flawless effort by the Cats when the refs came out with those quick whistles at the beginning of the game. I don't think we lost it at the foul line but it was just that much more we had to overcome.

I know Bam played good defense and rebounded well but needed more offense from his position, In his defense he got the ball slapped out of his hands yesterday a bunch of times. You can't slap down at the ball without fouling half the time and the whole year it was hardly ever called. The last one with 20 seconds to go was a hard slap across the wrist with the ref right there watching and no call resulting in a tie up and them getting the ball back. I ran it back and stopped it and it was a hard foul like usual and no call.

Reactions: musrat59
Out rebounded by 10, did not capitalize on 7 more UNC turnovers, Kennedy Meeks with 17, that is 17 rebounds, UNC blocked 9 shots,Hump played great but so did Maye, Mulder 0-5, UNC was 20% from 3s.

We had chances but did not do what was needed.

We lost at the free throw line. Hit 16 of 19, we win!
Right on. Refs still appeared to give Ole Roy a little help.
target-arrows-failure-d-simulation-ball-center-error-isolated-clipping-path-32461395.jpg

Meh. If you have to go 16 of 19 from the FT line to win you're doing it wrong.

On the other hand going 2 for 10 from the 3pt line is not outside the realm of possibility. If we could have had Willis, Mulder, and Monk go 2 for 10 during that stretch where they actually went 1 for 10 we'd be having a different conversation right now.

This is one reason I'm not joining the crying brigade over the refs. Sure we got about the typical UK vs any other blue blood treatment from the officials--and we even got one or two particularly smelly call/no calls on top of that. But any time the refs leave you a window where you can still win the game if you only go 2/10 from outside instead of 1/10, it's just not a hose job. Right now I'm much, much more proud of our team than I am of many of our fans.

We lost the game because neither Mulder nor Willis could hit an open 3, they had their chances, and the free throws. Sure the officiating was horrendous, but aren't we used to that when we play UNC or Duke?
Willis and Mulder needed to help with shooting and they both had an off night from the 3-point line, each going 0-3. Mulder missed all 5 of his shots in 6 minutes of action. Normally, they are both better shooters than that. They were just off, unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT