ADVERTISEMENT

Pujols just passed A-Rod

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Just hit his 697th HR. Amazing career. The first 10 years or so of his career compare favorably with almost everyone who's ever played. By all accounts, a good guy, too (unlike A-Rod, for instance).

Reactions: sefleming and -BBH-
Didn't this giuy pretty much fall off a cliff stat-wise, relatively speaking, like 10 years ago? Leaving STL for LAA kinda killed his career for whatever reason. Man probably breaks the all-time HR record if he stays in STL

Huge card fan. Huge pujols fan here. It is widely considered the worst kept secret he is 4 yrs older than his US birth certificate suggest. Which makes sense when when if you see his fall off was at 36 and not 32.

But if everyone knew his real age he would not have got that contract. Probably would not be playing now. Also impressive that a guy who is most likely 46 is hitting 20 homers

I thought he never had a shot but 3 more to go with 20 games or so left he has a shot.

I agree with others he should have never left st. Louis. If he stays maybe they beat the red Sox in 2013 and win another 1 to 2 titles.

I thought at the time, and still do today, that it (Pujols leaving for that kind of money) was the best thing for both sides. That deal would have crippled the Cardinals for a long time, Pujols' decline wasn't a surprise to anyone that was paying attention, and that was the kind of money that you just can't turn down. The split was amicable, and avoided the animosity that would have developed in St. Louis over paying a declining player that kind of dough.

This way, Cardinal fans get to remember Albert's glory years, and this Hollywood ending/return home for his last year.

Didn't this giuy pretty much fall off a cliff stat-wise, relatively speaking, like 10 years ago? Leaving STL for LAA kinda killed his career for whatever reason. Man probably breaks the all-time HR record if he stays in STL
Didn't fall off of a cliff. But definitely had a decline. he's been damn good against lefties the whole time. Same as this year. They're just using him very selectively against Lefties and the hR derby seemingly got him in a groove.

I thought at the time, and still do today, that it (Pujols leaving for that kind of money) was the best thing for both sides. That deal would have crippled the Cardinals for a long time, Pujols' decline wasn't a surprise to anyone that was paying attention, and that was the kind of money that you just can't turn down. The split was amicable, and avoided the animosity that would have developed in St. Louis over paying a declining player that kind of dough.

This way, Cardinal fans get to remember Albert's glory years, and this Hollywood ending/return home for his last year.
Agreed. The Angels basically rewarded Pujols for the first half of his career, while the Cards go his best years and two World Series titles out of him.

Baseball-Reference: Active Leaders & Records for Home Runs

I definitely hope he hits 700. Some of us here saw Aaron play and most of us saw Bonds, but it's not likely that any of us will see another 700 HR in our lifetimes if Pujols doesn't do it.
I would've thought Trout had a shot but, after 11 really good seasons, he's at 345 HRs for his career. Had some injury problems, also. I don't really keep up with baseball much anymore but doubt any of the youngsters will play 20 years and maintain the high output like Pujols did.

I would've thought Trout had a shot but, after 11 really good seasons, he's at 345 HRs for his career. Had some injury problems, also. I don't really keep up with baseball much anymore but doubt any of the youngsters will play 20 years and maintain the high output like Pujols did.
Aaron Judge certainly has the power to make a run but multiple stints on the IL in 2018 with 400 ABs, 2019 with 300 ABs and the 2020 season being short will make it difficult unless he plays well into his 40s like Albert. I have a feeling it will have to come from someone who makes their MLB Debut after the 2-month COVID season in 2020 when current stars lost 4 months and scrapped together a limited schedule when many were injured.

Saw where they said during another at bat during that same game, a ball he hit would have been out in 12 other parks.

Hope he doesn't start pressing if he goes a few games and doesn't hit one.
I hope not either feeling the pressure of the moment. Needs to keep his head clear and keep doing what he always has to get to this point. Definitely rooting for him to get the record as one of the greatest of all-time and hope it happens at Busch Stadium. Hope he can manage to hit 699 before the 6-game set at home vs Pittsburgh to close the year with their terrible pitching as the NL Central basement dweller.

Pujols gets 700 in his last AB. Storybook ending. Mid-March 2023, a statistician -- who had been poring over box scores for the past 6 months -- shows that an error from 2012 actually puts his official career total back to 699 HRs (ala Bernie Mack in "Mr. 3000"). The Cards sign the 48 year old, now-350 lb Pujols to a day-to-day contract in an attempt to get him to the magic 700. Pujols rips an oblique on his first swing, goes on the DL, and never plays again.

Dodger Stadium is the 2nd best place it could have happened outside of Busch Stadium.
His season took off immediately after the run to the finals in the home run derby at Dodger Stadium and has been one of the best home run hitters post All-Star break. Hasn't looked back since. Play the game the right way and rewarded in the end. I probably won't live to see another 700 home run member.

FeLyeh5XkAI8-Vj

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT