ADVERTISEMENT

Proposing 72 Teams in the tourney

I realize I’m in the minority, but I hate having 64 teams and wish the tournament would be reduced dramatically. If the intent of the tournament is to crown that year’s champion, and that champion is supposed to be the best team that year, then the NCAA tournament fails miserably at that.

When a 21-9 UConn team that lost 7 of its last 11 regular season games is crowned champion, then I question the value of the tournament as structured. And I felt that way prior to 2011, so this isn’t simply sour grapes.

The tournament is really just an overgrown Maui Invitational played at the end of the season instead of the beginning. I get that there’s exciting basketball played and it’s fun to watch, but I fail to see why anyone thinks this is an effective way of determining a champion.[/QUOT
I realize I’m in the minority, but I hate having 64 teams and wish the tournament would be reduced dramatically. If the intent of the tournament is to crown that year’s champion, and that champion is supposed to be the best team that year, then the NCAA tournament fails miserably at that.

When a 21-9 UConn team that lost 7 of its last 11 regular season games is crowned champion, then I question the value of the tournament as structured. And I felt that way prior to 2011, so this isn’t simply sour grapes.

The tournament is really just an overgrown Maui Invitational played at the end of the season instead of the beginning. I get that there’s exciting basketball played and it’s fun to watch, but I fail to see why anyone thinks this is an effective way of determining a champion.

UCONN wasn't "crowned" champion, the won 6 games in a row and won the championship. That's what makes the tournament better than the football playoff - every D-1 team has a legit chance to win the championship, and the "best" teams as decided by talking heads, get knocked off.

College basketball is a great product, way better than NBA or college football.

You lost me right here with it being a better product than college football. College basketball is a shell of its former self. It’s laughable how watered down it has become. It’s no longer a great product. It’s a mediocre product at best.

Reactions: crestcat

Regular season is not meaningless, have a bad one and you don't go dancing. But I get your point. There is a way around that though.
Regular season champ get auto-bid, or regular season champ gets a 1st round bye, or first choice of sites. There are ways to reward a team for a good regular season.
Have you noticed how UK gets rewarded for good regular seasons?

The tournament is really just an overgrown Maui Invitational played at the end of the season instead of the beginning. I get that there’s exciting basketball played and it’s fun to watch, but I fail to see why anyone thinks this is an effective way of determining a champion.
The purpose of the NCAAT is to raise money for the NCAA, whatever it takes to do that, they will do

Regular season is not meaningless, have a bad one and you don't go dancing. But I get your point. There is a way around that though.
Regular season champ get auto-bid, or regular season champ gets a 1st round bye, or first choice of sites. There are ways to reward a team for a good regular season.

It’s not that difficult to get into the NCAA tourney. If you have a losing regular season, all you got to do is just win the conference tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT