ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed ncaa “blackout”

Feb 23, 2011
for the life of me, I now can’t find the article and wondering if any others saw it —
There is a suggestion that seems to be gathering some momentum for a 2/23 “blackout” by college hoops fans attending games. The proposal is that all fans attending games that day wear black as a symbolic show of disgust over the ncaa continued lack of action regarding the investigation. Why 2/23? I guess it coincides with some significant event in the investigation.
Interestingly, CATS host AU that day.
I’m typically skeptical of these type things, but I like this one. I’d love to see the ncaa squirm as it’s televised games are filled with attendees making the statement. I’d love to hear the announcers forced to discuss.
I hope it takes hold.

What investigation? The FBI thing?
The FBI specifically told them not to until after. Then they were supposedly handed a mountain of evidence, which they have to sort through to figure out what's a violation and who all committed the violations. Like... There are steps. And in a case like this, that will have all eyes looking, they're probably double checking that they've dotted the right I's and crossed the right T's. Sometimes things of this magnitude just take time.

Reactions: Chase4UK
The FBI specifically told them not to until after. Then they were supposedly handed a mountain of evidence, which they have to sort through to figure out what's a violation and who all committed the violations. Like... There are steps. And in a case like this, that will have all eyes looking, they're probably double checking that they've dotted the right I's and crossed the right T's. Sometimes things of this magnitude just take time.

Yes. I think it was referencing the fbi investigation.
Consider me skeptical that any significant sanctions occur. And I do think the ncaa could move rather quickly in some of these rather overt cases. Instead, I suspect there will be coaches and players who should be ineligible again competing in the the post season.
I hope I am wrong, but I see the ncaa kicking the can down the road on this one.

Meh sounds good but wouldn't effect the NCAA at all. Just the school and the fans.

Only way to hurt the NCAA is not buy any of their licensed gear or refuse to watch games on tv. Driving viewership down drives their ad revenue down.

That's about all we have at this point. There's a reason they act like they are untouchable. They basically are, from a fan perspective

Meh sounds good but wouldn't effect the NCAA at all. Just the school and the fans.

Only way to hurt the NCAA is not buy any of their licensed gear or refuse to watch games on tv. Driving viewership down drives their ad revenue down.

That's about all we have at this point. There's a reason they act like they are untouchable. They basically are, from a fan perspective

I don’t see how wearing black would hurt the fans or schools.
I think it just brings attention to something the ncaa will be hoping fades away.
Id agree if the suggestion was to boycott games, as there are many innocent players, coaches and programs who wouldn’t deserve that.
But black shirts? Sounds good to me.

This is the correct response.

Also, this might be the single dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

This is the correct response.

Also, this might be the single dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Certainly things take time, but is there anything that affords you confidence this will be addressed/handled properly?

Even if the ncaa is reviewing and does have proper intentions come 2/23 - I actually like the idea of the fanbase showing that it is still paying attention, is mindful and rather fed up.

I actually liked it. But opinions vary!

Just like the uncheat investigation. Got it. No issue, understood. It just takes time...

I don’t see how wearing black would hurt the fans or schools.
I think it just brings attention to something the ncaa will be hoping fades away.
Id agree if the suggestion was to boycott games, as there are many innocent players, coaches and programs who wouldn’t deserve that.
But black shirts? Sounds good to me.

I'm not saying it devastate the players or anything. But the NCAA won't be effected at all by black shirts.

They allowed blatant admitted cheating by unc to go unpunished for 20 years. Think they care if a few fans wear black shirts?

Hitting them in their pocket book is all they care about. The average fan just doesn't have that kind of impact, unfortunately.

Certainly things take time, but is there anything that affords you confidence this will be addressed/handled properly?

Even if the ncaa is reviewing and does have proper intentions come 2/23 - I actually like the idea of the fanbase showing that it is still paying attention, is mindful and rather fed up.

I actually liked it. But opinions vary!

If people do not start interjecting in situations like these it will only get worse. There is a lot of thievery (In many forms) going on and unless checked it will not stop.

Reactions: shep21754
I'm not saying it devastate the players or anything. But the NCAA won't be effected at all by black shirts.

They allowed blatant admitted cheating by unc to go unpunished for 20 years. Think they care if a few fans wear black shirts?

Hitting them in their pocket book is all they care about. The average fan just doesn't have that kind of impact, unfortunately.

I agree.

But considering the time of year, I am sure there will be some marquee games. I would love for an unavoidable talking point to be this "protest" and renewed attention to the crap the ncaa lets slide.

Scheming a way to go about penalizing all the paid for players while still allowing zion to maintain his eligibility isn't something that happens overnight

I agree.

But considering the time of year, I am sure there will be some marquee games. I would love for an unavoidable talking point to be this "protest" and renewed attention to the crap the ncaa lets slide.

No way announcers or networks would ever discuss it. They have their contract and wouldn't dare risk it.

Ever hear anything negative about the handling of unc by anyone on an ESPN broadcast? No.

I hate the NCAA as much as anyone. I just don't see this even being a drop in the bucket.

I grew up with a girl he thought the octane numbers on the side of the gas pump was for the year of your car. She had put 89 octane in her 89 accord for four years. Then when she bought a new car, she was confused and didn’t know what to do.

That’s WAY dumber than this.

You have been insulated from this site too...heck, maybe even from me...:oops:

[laughing]

Reactions: Ocornett
No way announcers or networks would ever discuss it. They have their contract and wouldn't dare risk it.

Ever hear anything negative about the handling of unc by anyone on an ESPN broadcast? No.

I hate the NCAA as much as anyone. I just don't see this even being a drop in the bucket.

You could be right.
But I still hope it happens. I cant imagine arenas "blacked out" and the announcers, sports reporters, etc. not covering it at all.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I think its a good idea , all depends on how ,any 100's , 1000s or 10000s of fans participate . I'm always in the " doing something is better than doing nothing" mindset . And sometimes it doesn't work out , sometimes it does. The media coverage is whats important

Reactions: shep21754
Yes. I think it was referencing the fbi investigation.
Consider me skeptical that any significant sanctions occur. And I do think the ncaa could move rather quickly in some of these rather overt cases. Instead, I suspect there will be coaches and players who should be ineligible again competing in the the post season.
I hope I am wrong, but I see the ncaa kicking the can down the road on this one.
Haven’t you heard the Jailhawks and the Rug Doctor have already been cleared of any wrong doing !!

for the life of me, I now can’t find the article and wondering if any others saw it —
There is a suggestion that seems to be gathering some momentum for a 2/23 “blackout” by college hoops fans attending games.

It is gaining so much momentum we can't find anything on it.

I grew up with a girl he thought the octane numbers on the side of the gas pump was for the year of your car. She had put 89 octane in her 89 accord for four years. Then when she bought a new car, she was confused and didn’t know what to do.

That’s WAY dumber than this.

What did she think in 89-92 when 91 or 93 octane was available? Did she think the gas would sit there for years till the new models came out? I agree, people are more ignorant than we realize. I had a woman ask me what county in Kentucky was West Virginia in? Forrest Gump has nothing on some people.

Reactions: jrpross
ADVERTISEMENT