ADVERTISEMENT

Projecting the infield for 2018

westharris

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2016
I'm thinking we move Tyler Marshall to first base next year, Luke Becker to second and Luke Hier to third. Probably have the LSU/ juco transfer at short. That gets more experienced hitters in the infield which will be crucial replacing 3 experienced infielders.

C- Troy Squires
1B- T.J. Collett
2B- Luke Becker
SS- Trey Dawson
3B- Tyler Marshall
DH- Kole Cottam

I think this is the lineup the staff would like. Some will look at Collett's average and be unimpressed because of how low it is, but he never really had a chance to get in a groove. He's going to hit, they just need him to be good enough to play defensively.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
C- Troy Squires
1B- T.J. Collett
2B- Luke Becker
SS- Trey Dawson
3B- Tyler Marshall
DH- Kole Cottam

I think this is the lineup the staff would like. Some will look at Collett's average and be unimpressed because of how low it is, but he never really had a chance to get in a groove. He's going to hit, they just need him to be good enough to play defensively.
Collett's health going forward?

I think you'll see Kaden Polcovich get some starts at 2B. It also wouldn't surprise me if Kole Cottam played some 1B as well.
I could see this. Whoever plays 2nd will have to be at least serviceable with their glove and be able to hit well. Dawson (SS) didn't tear it up at the plate at JUCO or LSU, but he is very good defensively.

Marshall is an excellent fielder at 3b, I would be hesitant to move him. Heyer will be somewhere because of his bat, play the OF even at times.
There is also Bellini and I Lewis, who could get a shot. The LSU transfer is a possibility at SS, and Black, the juco whose brother played against us for Ohio U, is a talented infielder.
Brayden Combs who RS, and T J Collett are 1b possibilities, both have great potential
I could see this. Whoever plays 2nd will have to be at least serviceable with their glove and be able to hit well. Dawson (SS) didn't tear it up at the plate at JUCO or LSU, but he is very good defensively.
How about Black, whose brother played for Ohio. He seems to have both glove and bat, at least in juco ball.

I'm still holding out hope that Mahan is our 2nd baseman.

We lose them in basketball early, football maybe we can catch a break in baseball.

Cats wound up fielding .972 this season, that needs to get up to at least .976 or better if we are going to get further in both the SEC and NCAA post season.

ADVERTISEMENT