ADVERTISEMENT

Power 5 holds emergency meeting

At the Heart of It: Cardiac Inflammation the Next Virus Hurdle for College Leaders.

"...In a small percentage of infected patients, COVID-19 leaves behind troubling scars in the throbbing muscle within their chests, known as myocarditis. The virus directly invades the heart muscle, weakening and damaging its cells, through blood clots and inflammatory responses to viral infection. Earlier during the pandemic, doctors only associated the condition with severe and, oftentimes, hospitalized COVID victims, usually elderly patients or those with underlying health problems.

Lately, physicians are identifying the condition in young, healthy Americans — including athletes. “The last month or two, even asymptomatic young people are developing myocardial injury,”...

"...“That’s what has been the final straw,” says a team doctor at a prominent college football program. “The commissioners are finally figuring it all out. The commissioners are going, ‘Oh my gosh!’ And the doctors are like, ‘Yeah...’”...

Last edited:
SEC will have football this fall irregardless of what them other conferences do
What would it even matter if they were the only conference playing? It would be nice to watch football, but the games would be almost meaningless. Might as well just watch recordings of old games.

The season is already over. They aren't playing. And it kills me.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
At the Heart of It: Cardiac Inflammation the Next Virus Hurdle for College Leaders.

"...In a small percentage of infected patients, COVID-19 leaves behind troubling scars in the throbbing muscle within their chests, known as myocarditis. The virus directly invades the heart muscle, weakening and damaging its cells, through blood clots and inflammatory responses to viral infection. Earlier during the pandemic, doctors only associated the condition with severe and, oftentimes, hospitalized COVID victims, usually elderly patients or those with underlying health problems.

Lately, physicians are identifying the condition in young, healthy Americans — including athletes. “The last month or two, even asymptomatic young people are developing myocardial injury,”...

"...“That’s what has been the final straw,” says a team doctor at a prominent college football program. “The commissioners are finally figuring it all out. The commissioners are going, ‘Oh my gosh!’ And the doctors are like, ‘Yeah...’”...

There's a difference between healthy and athletic. Most of these players aren't any more invulnerable to disease and infection than us mere mortals.

And football has an athlete most sports don't. The 320 pound variety. Who knows what this does to them.

So they can’t play football but are going to send the kids back to their crowded dorms and big house parties? What’s the difference..is that “safer” than playing football? As for football being canceled, I think it has to do more with legal questions/concerns about cancel culture more than them actually worried that a kid will get seriously ill from corona. I think the issue is similar to what happened with EKU football last week where the kid called out the administration. Nobody wants to deal with that right now. They should close down campus to all students if it’s that dangerous.

Reactions: Bird--man
It's mind-blowing to think the most likely scenario is to not allow willing informed consenting adults to engage in an activity that doesn't increase their chances of infection at all.

The bizarre search for no risk utopia gets crazier and dumber every day. Let players decide if they want to play or not.

Looks like we are going that way...this is catastrophic to the underprivileged students who rely on scholarships to get out of their situation.

Many many opportunities are being cut, and I’m not talking about p5, although there will be attrition there also.

The oppressed continue to get their teeth knocked in, because the counter culture and the lawsuit culture prohibit those from getting an opportunity to better themselves because the #s just do not warrant a cancellation.

Sad

Looks like we are going that way...this is catastrophic to the underprivileged students who rely on scholarships to get out of their situation.

Many many opportunities are being cut, and I’m not talking about p5, although there will be attrition there also.

The oppressed continue to get their teeth knocked in, because the counter culture and the lawsuit culture prohibit those from getting an opportunity to better themselves because the #s just do not warrant a cancellation.

Sad

If you understand that it's being done intentionally and stop thinking in terms of the phony virus crisis it does make sense

Let’s just turn them away send them home with no medical care, no instruction on abstaining from large gatherings and get them snuggled up with grand ma and dad with copd...

great decision this will be for the kids and society in general.

So they release conference schedules all last week now no football a few days later what changed?

pressure from the media lawyers and other bureaucrats

This is it in a nutshell. The presumed liability from ANY player having life threatening complications or heaven forbid die from this, and the landscape of college athletics would be tarnished for a very long time.

I'm actually surprised it took them this long to come to this conclusion. Society is so polarized in this day and age, the POTENTIAL consequences from playing big time college football during this pandemic COULD put all of these institutions in a place that would CONTRADICT all of the BULLCRAP the NCAA has spewed over the past 50 years.

Even with $BILLIONS on the line, today's WOKE society has won again. The risk(however so minute) just wasn't worth the reward.

SAD for all involved.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Say that again in English.

It did need a good proof reading, damn spellcheck is different on every phone.

All the P5 conferences had a gentleman's agreement to be unified and make joint announcements. Big10 in an effort to look like the leader broke ranks and made their announcement. Now they are expected to announce no football this fall and are asking th he other P5 commissioners to join and make a unified statement. The issue is the ACC, SEC and Big12 still want to play and are ready to let the Big10 watch.

The University Presidents are stepping in, it seems. That is where the buck stops ...

All the P5 conferences had a gentleman's agreement to be unified and make joint announcements. Big10 in an effort to look like the leader broke ranks and made their announcement. Now they are expected to announce no football this fall and are asking th he other P5 commissioners to join and make a unified statement. The issue is the ACC, SEC and Big12 still want to play and are ready to let the Big10 watch.

I say F em and play. Round robin. Top 4 teams advance to a playoff

I'd absolutely love to see THE OSU have to watch the others play ball.

ADVERTISEMENT