ADVERTISEMENT

Popcorn State or Ranked Opponents

KYtotheCore

Senior
Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
Ive seen this argument through many threads. My question to everyone is “Would you rather have wins, or grow through losses?”, assuming there would be a couple of losses. Which camp are you in?

Obviously it is different from team to team, from year to year. This would have been a dreary schedule for the 2014-2015 team. It is a perfect schedule for this year's team.

It baffles me that people can't appreciate the wisdom in tweaking a schedule in so far as it is possible to fit the unique characteristics of a team.

Ive seen this argument through many threads. My question to everyone is “Would you rather have wins, or grow through losses?”, assuming there would be a couple of losses. Which camp are you in?
Not necessarily murders row, but come on!

I think the schedule has been perfect for this team.

Granted some teams have failed to live up to their hype, I think this has been good for confidence.

They got their tough "big lights" game with Kansas out of the way and now they've played teams they can beat and contend with for now. I think with the SEC being tougher this year, it will be good to have them rack up wins and confidence now and play the tough games when they are coming together and hitting their stride.

Obviously it is different from team to team, from year to year. This would have been a dreary schedule for the 2014-2015 team. It is a perfect schedule for this year's team.

It baffles me that people can't appreciate the wisdom in tweaking a schedule in so far as it is possible to fit the unique characteristics of a team.

Agree with this ^.
It also baffles me that some people can’t understand the difference between a 300-350 team and a 100-150 team. That is like not not seeing the difference in a 1-50 team and a 100-150 team.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I understand the games against Popcorn State but I sure as hell aren't paying $50 to go see it. If it isn't a power 5 opponent I''m not interested anymore. I've seen enough of them in person.

Reactions: mailman85 and ORCAT
I understand the games against Popcorn State but I sure as hell aren't paying $50 to go see it. If it isn't a power 5 opponent I''m not interested anymore. I've seen enough of them in person.

I have no problem with a very inexperienced team like this year having a softer schedule to build confidence while they try to improve as a team. But, ticket prices went up and we're paying too much for the low quality opponents on the schedule at Rupp. Then, better games are being scheduled, quite often, for neutral sites. There you see some of the reason for lower attendance with many empty seats at Rupp this year. If UK wants to lower the opponents they shouldn't be raising ticket prices.

The 1978, 1996, and 1998 teams could grow through losses. Even the 2012 team might fit that category but the more freshmen teams without the upperclassmen definitely need the wins like the schedule we had this year. JMO

I think part of the problem is the end of the rivalry games. UK is not playing UNC or IU this season. Replace VA Tech with IU move WVU to the pre conference season and this feels a lot different. Although most years you need a marquee opponent mid conference, because the SEc is weak. This year is just a funny year because of the way everything worked out.

I think the schedule has been perfect for this team.

Granted some teams have failed to live up to their hype, I think this has been good for confidence.

They got their tough "big lights" game with Kansas out of the way and now they've played teams they can beat and contend with for now. I think with the SEC being tougher this year, it will be good to have them rack up wins and confidence now and play the tough games when they are coming together and hitting their stride.
Agree with this take,I haven't liked it but it was the way to go with this team.I'm not sure how good we are or how good we can be but the schedule gave them the best chance to be as good as they can be.I don't think there is any doubt about that at all.

Reactions: Poetax
I don't speak binary. Some of both or like this year neither.

01001001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01110011 01110000 01100101 01100001 01101011 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110 00100000 01010011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 01101000 00100000 01101111 01110010 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01111001 01100101 01100001 01110010 00100000 01101110 01100101 01101001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 00101110

I am really looking forward to the end of 19 yr olds in the NBA and back to college ball. That should get us back to a better collegiate environment and hopefully better scheduling.

This season it makes sense to play alot of mid major type teams that can challenge you but you should beat. Next season with all we get back and all we have coming in then we should have a little tougher schedule with more challenges. Losing never helps .

Unless you think teams from 150-200 are the same as 350-300 we haven’t played popcorn st.

Not once this season.

Unless you think teams from 150-200 are the same as 350-300 we haven’t played popcorn st.

Not once this season.
We have played a better schedule than some realize,these next 3 games will tell us a bit more about this team.we actualy upgraded the schedule from years past just a bit.

I like Cal's scheduling strategy. I'm not a season ticket holder and I get the gripe about not having most of the big pre-conference games at Rupp. But given our usually very young team I like having a few cupcake teams early on to allow our guys to get comfortable playing at Rupp, full speed and in front of 23k. We usually have a test VERY early on (this year being Kansas in the third game) and it serves as a learning game and a measuring stick to see where we are starting from.

The Champions Classic is one of the best events in college basketball and I hope we continue to participate in it. Cal still finds decent teams for us to play in some of the early games, like Vermont and even Harvard who is coached by Tommy Amaker. Better than what u6 schedules considering Omaha is 1-10, couldn't tell you where Bryant is located and I'm sure someone out there was confused why u6 had a crayon (Siena) on the schedule.

Our league is improving every year and it's a direct result of Cal IMO. If we could pick up another yearly matchup with a high profile program I think that would be just fine.

I hate saying this (mainly because it's a bit arrogant) but I think we're at least 10 points better than Kansas on a neutral floor right now and will be 20 points better than Kansas on a neutral floor in April.

I understand that, although it is a slightly separate issue.

I think part of the problem is the end of the rivalry games. UK is not playing UNC or IU this season. Replace VA Tech with IU move WVU to the pre conference season and this feels a lot different. Although most years you need a marquee opponent mid conference, because the SEc is weak. This year is just a funny year because of the way everything worked out.

Also, what games vs "known" teams we have, aren't as good as in years past.
KU (were ranked #2, but very well may finish the season in the 10-20 range)
UCLA is down
UL is down
WV they are solid, but not a top 10 team
VaTech is solid, but not a top 20 team

Whereas in years past, of the 4-6 "known" teams we played, it would have included 2-3 top 10 teams, and maybe a couple of top 25 teams.

I hate saying this (mainly because it's a bit arrogant) but I think we're at least 10 points better than Kansas on a neutral floor right now and will be 20 points better than Kansas on a neutral floor in April.

I'm not sure there's anything we've done up to this point and Kansas has done up to this point to suggest that we are 10 points better on a neutral court.

Considering we've already lost to them on a neutral court, I think your assessment might be a bit optimistic.

I don't think you're far off, I do not think they have improved like they had hoped but its easy to see the areas that we need to improve on now. Plus some players have picked up their game while others are still inconsistent.

UCLA is down
UL is down

Whereas in years past, of the 4-6 "known" teams we played, it would have included 2-3 top 10 teams, and maybe a couple of top 25 teams.

Gosh are we on the football board? :)

UCLA is down
UL is down

When you make a schedule out in advance, isn't it hard to guess who's going to be up or down? Scheduling "name" teams who have been successful in the past is about all you can do.

With such a young group learning to win is priority. Winning becomes a habit. You put them up against giants and they lose a few all the sudden confidence is an issue and losing becomes a habit. 80% of success in sports is psychological.

I want to play teams that are good enough to challenge us, but not really good enough to get the win. It helps us grow, helps our SOS and makes the games compelling.

How is this so difficult? I don't want this team playing all top5 opponents, and I don't want them playing sub250 opponents either..

UCLA is down
UL is down

KU isn't down,they just aren't sure who is driving the car or whose car it is
UCLA is leading the world in steals(not just the country)
UL darn near had the best team they could buy(and have the canceled check to prove it)
WV and Va Tech are what they are, blue collar tough outfits that make you earn a win when you play them.

I want to play teams that are good enough to challenge us, but not really good enough to get the win. It helps us grow, helps our SOS and makes the games compelling.

How is this so difficult? I don't want this team playing all top5 opponents, and I don't want them playing sub250 opponents either..

Thats basically what we are doing this season.

yeah scheduling iu is what's missing. [roll]

If we NEVER played iu again it would be fine, in fact dropping that midlevel commuter school up the road would be fine too.

If we NEVER played iu again it would be fine, in fact dropping that midlevel commuter school up the road would be fine too.
Same goes for UNC,I think we probably will drop UL whenever the current contract ends.

I'm not sure there's anything we've done up to this point and Kansas has done up to this point to suggest that we are 10 points better on a neutral court.

Considering we've already lost to them on a neutral court, I think your assessment might be a bit optimistic.

I watched bits and pieces of Kansas's last two games, and what I saw was indicative of a team that is destined for a #6 or #7 seed in the NCAA Tournament--and that's at the very best.

I have no problem paying 50 for a game against a lesser team. I do have a problem with paying $50 and driving 300 miles to watch a poor team take the court.

Sounds like distance is a big issue. I have to admit, I wouldn't be at many Kentucky games if I had a 200+ mile drive each way. Maybe once or twice a year..

..in which I STILL go back to my point.. get the on-campus students more involved. I could probably figure out this problem in an afternoon.

UCLA is down
UL is down

Ya can't talk like that....all scrubs the hero on said board plays are, at least, 20 points better than they really are. And all teams the enemy plays are 20 points worse, so their wins can be mocked properly.

It definitely plays a role. I'm in Charleston WV. That kinda rules out 9pm games on the Weekdays (and honestly I'm starting to get too old even for the 7pm ones).

If I was closer, i'd definitely go to more.

ADVERTISEMENT