ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Frank Jackson, and other moments of bliss from the NBA Draft.

Nah. He had it right. Utah is a beautiful state, I live in Cache Valley and love it.

Utah has Lake Powell, Moab, Bryce Canyon, and give me any mountain trail with at least 50" snow base and my Skidoo Summit and I'm happy.
I once flew through Salt Lake City.

That's all I got.

With a kid like Frank Jackson, how do you talk yourself into thinking you are 1st round talent? Granted the dude didn't stink it up at Duke his freshman season, but it's not like he stole the show while playing at Duke. Dude knew he had point guard size with a shooting guards skillset. You couldn't show the league you could handle being a full-time point guard in college, why trick yourself into thinking the NBA might be fooled? Dude has major talent, but didn't want to put in the time it would take to make sure you have a roster spot and a nice bank account by coming back to Duke and drilling the mindset into full-time pass first instead of shoot anytime the ball is passed your way.

Multiple factors came into Jackson leaving a year early. Duval coming to Duke meant Jackson wasn't going going to play point guard. Grayson Allen coming back means Jackson wasn't going to increase his scoring percentage a tremendous amount next year. His dad and Frank were most likely pissed that Matt Jones started over Frank much of Frank's Freshman year.

Frank was one pick away from the first round In a guard heavy and loaded draft. Next year he most likely would've gone mid first round in a weak draft.

Only one, BYU. Utah is actually a very nice place to live and lots of beautiful women. Wayyyyyyy better than Louisville, Kentucky

I have lived in the west for over 20 years and spend several weeks(summer)every other year at high elevations in Utah. The Utah image that people in the eastern US continue to perpetuate is outdated by, at the very least, a quarter century.
Tourism is big in Utah, especially during ski season, and the state has adapted to meet the needs of the tourism industry and a growing population. And, you are correct in the comparison of SLC and Louisville. SLC wins by a wide margin.

BTW, I'm 75 and saw games since the 50's in person.
I agree on Rupp, but in your age group, you're in the minority.

I am 74 and saw UK for the 1st time as 11 year old in 1953-54 season. You are on the money with your observations Poppy. And, keep in mind when reading board posts, any sense at all is uncommon.

I think thornwell wil shine for the clippers especially if Paul leaves. He won't start cause daddy's boy will but if they groom him right he could play a significant role right away. I am really happy for him

I think thornwell wil shine for the clippers especially if Paul leaves. He won't start cause daddy's boy will but if they groom him right he could play a significant role right away. I am really happy for him

I hope your right but I don't see it. Just seems like one of those kids who has a great college career but doesn't make it in the NBA. I'll be rooting for him.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Only one, BYU. Utah is actually a very nice place to live and lots of beautiful women. Wayyyyyyy better than Louisville, Kentucky

I'll give u the beautiful part. Very beautiful place. Not a beautiful place to live. And I'm sure Mitchell isn't a returned missionary so the beautiful women won't apply to him. If your a Mormon then yeah might be a nice place to live. A non Mormon not so much. Trust me I've tried.

A night full of small blessings. Here are some...

* Frank Jackson missing out on a first round, guaranteed contract as a OAD
. Cal has yet to produce a non-first round pick OAD at Kentucky. Duke is already inferior in that regard.
  • Justin Jackson and Frank Mason being drafted by a franchise that will instantly make them the subservient bitches of De’Aaron Fox.

• Bam in the lottery. Also, Bam taken ahead of Allen, Giles, and the other elite bigs from his draft class (one can’t help but wonder if Bolden is a top 20 pick had he chosen Kentucky). Considering Texas was selling Allen’s development in their recruitment of Bamba, it’s pretty interesting that Cal’s guy still beat out Shaka’s by 8 spots.

• Monk finds his way to what will probably be a playoff team.

• No Tatum in Phoenix, meaning we can still support the Suns without having to support a guy who will undoubtedly fit the quintessential Dukie mold.

• Kennard drafted by a franchise whose fans could potentially shank him if he doesn’t develop quickly.

Can you guys think of any more?
1. I enjoyed seeing Tatum go above Fox to a team likely to make a deep run in the playoffs whereas De'Aaron now joins one of the worst franchises in the NBA.

2. Monk slipping to the Hornets.

All in good fun though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1. I enjoyed seeing Tatum go above Fox to a team likely to make a deep run in the playoffs whereas De'Aaron now joins one of the worst franchises in the NBA.

2. Monk slipping to the Hornets.

All in good fun though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's cool.

Where was Bolden and Grayson? I saw where they were previously both projected as first rounders, with Bolden projected as high as #7 in the draft?

Oh. They're returning because they both underachieved? Is that it?

Maybe they can start a club with Jeter and Thornton called the "one and never dones."

That's cool.

Where was Bolden and Grayson? I saw where they were previously both projected as first rounders, with Bolden projected as high as #7 in the draft?

Oh. They're returning because they both underachieved? Is that it?

Maybe they can start a club with Jeter and Thornton called the "one and never dones."
Bolden has all the potential in the world but is perpetually injured and he lacks motor and a desire to get better. Going to UK wouldn't have solved those problems just like it didn't for Orton, Dakari Johnson and Isaac Humphries.

Grayson, on the other hand, will be a 1st Rounder in a relatively weak draft next year as long as he plays as well as he did sophomore year and stays injury free. He's going to be able to put up gaudy stats next year as the primary offensive weapon.

Also you do realize Grayson could have left after his sophomore year and been a 1st Rounder? He stayed because he loves Duke and wants to win more titles for us.

I never thought of Thornton as 1 and Done candidate. He skipped his senior year of HS so he was incredibly young. Derryck was raw as a freshman at Duke but he did show some defensive upside. Unfortunately, his handlers had unrealistic expectations for him so he transferred to USC.

Jeter was just overrated for his HS ranking. I think he could have had a Kennedy Meeks impact by senior year though but he wasn't willing to wait around for his chance in the sun.

That's cool.

Where was Bolden and Grayson? I saw where they were previously both projected as first rounders, with Bolden projected as high as #7 in the dra

No, that's four and four get it!;)

I kind of like Kennard's game, and think he will stick in the league for awhile, even if he underwhelms early in his career.

But, for a team that just missed the play-offs, and is opening a new downtown arena, you'd think they'd have rather been able to present someone like Monk to their fans as they rebuild.

Grayson, on the other hand, will be a 1st Rounder in a relatively weak draft next year as long as he plays as well as he did sophomore year and stays injury free. He's going to be able to put up gaudy stats next year as the primary offensive weapon.

Also you do realize Grayson could have left after his sophomore year and been a 1st Rounder? He stayed because he loves Duke and wants to win more titles for us.

You forgot to mention that he's a great ambassador for the university.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
If you have it taped go back and watch Jay Bilis discuss Monk and then Luke. It's crazy. Like Monk will be out of the league and Luke is the best player in the draft.

Maybe if Monk had memorized every line to Moana, then the talking heads would have been impressed.

-- Kennedy Meeks and Mangok Mathiang not drafted while Bam goes in the lottery

-- Josh Hart squeezing out the last first round spot over Frank Mason

-- Knicks continue to suck after passing on Malik Monk

-- Pat Riley finally drafts a UK player

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
Bolden has all the potential in the world but is perpetually injured and he lacks motor and a desire to get better. Going to UK wouldn't have solved those problems just like it didn't for Orton, Dakari Johnson and Isaac Humphries.

I never thought of Thornton as 1 and Done candidate. He skipped his senior year of HS so he was incredibly young. Derryck was raw as a freshman at Duke but he did show some defensive upside. Unfortunately, his handlers had unrealistic expectations for him so he transferred to USC.

Jeter was just overrated for his HS ranking. I think he could have had a Kennedy Meeks impact by senior year though but he wasn't willing to wait around for his chance in the sun.

An expert at deflection and backpedaling you are.

Reactions: UKUGA
LOL at the duke fan bashing Fox for going where he was projected 4th-6th in the draft....and to Sac..........

All the while ignoring or forgetting Giles was supposed to be the best player and also landed at Sac.

If Giles wanted to defend himself by saying its an injury... Fine....... But the Duke fans and staff dont get that luxury because every damn one was talking about even an 85% Giles is still a top 10 pick and star. the two ESPN Jay's along with Fran "my last name sounds like a starbucks drink that gives you the weekend sh*ts" .... all spouted that nonsense off propping up the kid and duke.... and the fans fell right in line.

I guaran...damn..tee you had he sat out the season and focused on rehab and getting ready for draft workouts... he'd of been drafted higher but nope... he had to come back too fast... look awkward as sh*t (also tentative) and we lead to more doubts than if they had just not played him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT