ADVERTISEMENT

Ponder the Culture Change for a Second . . . .

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Go back the last three weeks on this forum.

People pissed that Tennessee upset Kentucky in Knoxville.

Posters worried that the Missouri Miracle was a poor effort.

Discussion and argument about which New Year’s Day Bowl we get.

Folks worried we might not win 8 next year.

Fans worried about how pretty we win.

Admit it: had you magically been able in November of 2015 to pull up these threads 36 months in the future, you would have run around your house naked in the rain singing the Fight Song!

I’ll admit Stoops doesn’t have the charisma of a Kennedy, the cool nickname of a Bear, the exciting offense of a Mumme or a Leach, but he has built a Top 15 team off Top 25 recruiting classes, and altered the very culture of Kentucky Football.

Watching the process with Stoops has kind of been like watching a bumble bee fly: I’m not sure how he gets it done, but By God, he gets it done!

Last edited:

Admit it: had you magically been able in November of 2015 to pull up these threads 36 months in the future, you would have run around your house naked in the rain singing the Fight Song!

I’ll admit Stoops doesn’t have the charisma of a Kennedy, the cool nickname of a Bear, the exciting offense of a Mumme or a Leach, but he has built a Top 15 team off Top 25 recruiting classes, and altered the very culture of Kentucky Football.

Watching the process with Stoops has kind of been like watching a bumble bee fly: I’m not sure how he gets it done, but By God, he gets it done!
The voice of reason

Reactions: law1127
Hope we are whining next season because we only win "8" in the regular season

A preview of the “Faaaaaarrrr Stooooops” 2019 version. :)

My fav this week, somebody said these great players keep saving Stoops. Someone pointed out that Stoops recruited the great players. Then someone else credited the Big Dog, or Marrow, . . . . who was hired by Stoops, IIRC.

My sarcastic post a month ago complaining about Snell running over people too slowly, our O-line pancaking too many defenders, and Lynn Bowden running back a punt return too quickly was telling, in the responses it drew. Some tried to agree with me, failing to catch the sarcasm, or more importantly, failing to see the utter foolishness of negativity taken to the most asinine extreme.

Last edited:
I remember the years of winning one D1 game. Remember Western beating us twice. Joker quitting at Arkansas. And the any numerous times Spurrier beat us by 50.

It's headscratching to watch "fans" complain about winning 8 and possibly 9 games. With the program clearly on an upward trajectory.

Around my house? Hell, I’d have done it on Times Square on a Saturday night!!

Good post. Also underrated:

-5 game winning streak over South Carolina. USC wins more than it loses in the SEC these days. That's a good streak.

-4 game winning streak over Mizzou. Has anyone watched this team? They're lights-out, killing UT in Knoxville and UF in Gainesville. They're good, and we held them to 14 points.

-Streakbusting. It's notable that UK no longer looks at its schedule and sees a bunch of games that we can't win. UF and UT used to be off limits. No more. Georgia is formidable, but that's probably the only game that UK's team (and fans) looks at as a severe longshot. That's huge.

Bumble bees fly because they don't know they can't. Stoops wins games because he does not know he can't at Kentucky.

I agree Hack, hope the rest of BBN realizes what we have.

If the CATS take care of business against UofL <===[laughing] on Saturday, then I think the sting of the UT loss will fade away and BBN will start gearing up for a New Years Day Bowl. That's my thinking.
If we don’t take 30-35k or more to any bowl destination outside of Ari freaking Zona for a 9-3 team then we truly do have a fickle fan base.

Why do you have to be happy about football to run around the house naked?

If we blow out UL, I and other fans will be much happier heading into a bowl game. If we barely beat UL, me and most fans won't feel too great about the 2nd half of the season.

A pounding of UL solves regrets about the UT game.

A loss is unthinkable.

I just want to see a team and coaching staff who act like they care about being here. I didn't see a team or coaches who cared in Knoxville.

Will they be fired up for the UL game and take care of business?

Stop playing to lose....

If I were Stoops in the locker room, I would tell the players that we fully expect to dominate UL in every facet and blow them out.

We have the better team. Why should the game be close?

Where is the killer instinct?

That's what we want to see the last game of the season. Step on their throat and win convincingly.

UK fans will show up big for the bowl game if we take care of business against UL and dominate the game.

If we play it close and squeak out some ugly win, UK fans will not go big into the bowl game...

That's my prediction.

I feel like slapping them upside the head and screaming, " Do you remember where this program was a mere six years ago?"

Reactions: The-Hack
If we blow out UL, I and other fans will be much happier heading into a bowl game. If we barely beat UL, me and most fans won't feel too great about the 2nd half of the season.

A loss is unthinkable.

I just want to see a team and coaching staff who act like they care about being here. I didn't see a team or coaches who cared in Knoxville.

Stop playing to lose....

If I were Stoops in the locker room, I would tell the players that we fully expect to dominate UL in every facet and blow them out.

That's what we want to see the last game of the season. Step on their throat and win convincingly.

UK fans will show up big for the bowl game if we take care of business against UL and dominate the game.

If we play it close and squeak out some ugly win, UK fans will not go big into the bowl game...

That's my prediction.

UL certainly sucks. The past two+ years for their football team have been disappointments for their fans. To watch the hope built by Charlie Strong in a lesser conference fizzle must have been tough on them. Moving to the ACC and the repeated scandals over and over have been ultimately awful. They have two hopes this year that remain: win their “bowl” game against UK and hire Brohm. Otherwise, the bragging about having Petrino and a high powered offense over the past few years is completely silenced by ongoing litigation, arrests, NCAA violations, and blowout losses. They truly are the worst of the ACC. So, I agree it will be a real frustration if the Cards win this rivalry game. That I must admit.

It’s really stupid and myopic, however, to characterize this team by one loss. It’s the sort of post you would expect from someone who is actually trying to lessen the incredible successes of this season. You like to load on expectation, focus on the negatives and minimize the positives. You remind me of the saddest sports fans in the world who pretend on message boards to be something they are not. I don’t know any UK fan who would want to resemble such pathetic silliness. Yet, so many here do.

I guess if UK is “playing to lose” and winning 8 games, I can only image how dominant we will be when we play to win.

I will admit that I never thought Kentucky could win playing defense due to recruiting deficiency but Stoops has recruited well enough to do that this season. Whether or not we can continue to do that without a pulse on the offensive side I don't know. This season has been fun though. Enjoy it. I've been watching since the 70s and have not had many fun years.

UL certainly sucks. The past two+ years for their football team have been disappointments for their fans. To watch the hope built by Charlie Strong in a lesser conference fizzle must have been tough on them. Moving to the ACC and the repeated scandals over and over have been ultimately awful. They have two hopes this year that remain: win their “bowl” game against UK and hire Brohm. Otherwise, the bragging about having Petrino and a high powered offense over the past few years is completely silenced by ongoing litigation, arrests, NCAA violations, and blowout losses. They truly are the worst of the ACC. So, I agree it will be a real frustration if the Cards win this rivalry game. That I must admit.

It’s really stupid and myopic, however, to characterize this team by one loss. It’s the sort of post you would expect from someone who is actually trying to lessen the incredible successes of this season. You like to load on expectation, focus on the negatives and minimize the positives. You remind me of the saddest sports fans in the world who pretend on message boards to be something they are not. I don’t know any UK fan who would want to resemble such pathetic silliness. Yet, so many here do.

I guess if UK is “playing to lose” and winning 8 games, I can only image how dominant we will be when we play to win.
I wish I could like this post 100X

I run around naked, in the rain, singing the fight song all the time. The neighbors hate it but I dont understand your point .

A loss is unthinkable.

Stop playing to lose....

That's my prediction.
Nothing quite like conditional fandom.

With the growth of the defense, and its depth, I foresee the offense going through a similar growth next year and after. If we continue to develop the depth, we will have a well balanced and successful program year after year. GO CATS!!

This right here is where you see the frustration pour out from the fans you are alluding to. No one knows how good we could be because of the conservative milk the clock playing style. It is actually quite ironic in the fact that our style of play has done nothing but wear our defense down as the season progressed. Glad stoops has been successful to this point but I promise you this season will be an anomaly if he doesn’t change his offensive philosophy. Under stoops we will be a 6-6, or 7-5 club 90% of the time with the occasional 8-4, 9-3 season thrown in. Now that is outstanding considering our history but I don’t like to think that is the best we could do and just accept it.

And honestly I haven’t enjoyed this season as much as a person following an 8-3 football team should. It actually has been quite painful watching this team the last half of the season.

Hell I’ve been doing that for years anyway-now you know why we’ve had the year we’ve had

It's simply called underachieving. Some fans like you may cheer that on....But many will not.

Squeaking out a win against a putrid UL team is underachieving. Pure and simple.

Play like you should...dominate the game.

Good post. Also underrated:

-5 game winning streak over South Carolina. USC wins more than it loses in the SEC these days. That's a good streak.

-4 game winning streak over Mizzou. Has anyone watched this team? They're lights-out, killing UT in Knoxville and UF in Gainesville. They're good, and we held them to 14 points.

-Streakbusting. It's notable that UK no longer looks at its schedule and sees a bunch of games that we can't win. UF and UT used to be off limits. No more. Georgia is formidable, but that's probably the only game that UK's team (and fans) looks at as a severe longshot. That's huge.
I was present in the Swamp on Sept. 8. We have a very good football team. The wear and tear of an SEC season is grueling, and has taken a toll. I wish we had won 11 games. But let's not miss the forest for the trees. This has been a breakthrough season for Stoops' program. With seven starters plus Young due back on the offense, and with Paschal and three highly regarded jucos becoming available on our defense, rumors of the program's pending demise in 2019 seem premature. Football games are usually won at the line of scrimmage, and our team is getting more and more sound there.

It's simply called underachieving. Some fans like you may cheer that on....But many will not.

Squeaking out a win against a putrid UL team is underachieving. Pure and simple.

Play like you should...dominate the game.

Yeah, breaking into the top 15 for the first time since 2007 is underachieving. That makes perfect sense. The ridiculousness of your position is that Stoops’ philosophy is what put us in a position for you to complain about not having more. No other coach's philosophy over the many years has achieved what he has achieved, yet you claim to know better. No one knows you. If you had voiced your brilliance and actually coached a football team to something noteworthy, maybe UK would have hired you and we would have a national championship by now.

As it is, Stoops continues to do the work and build upon his successes and take UK to previously uncharted waters. As much as you want people to choose your unproven method, I will choose Stoops. He has actually done it. You have not.

Duh, is'n that what an upset is?
Not to me. Upsets are when you win against the run of play regardless of what others think going in. Look at the stats. UT was +50% in total yards and ran 13 more plays. They were way the better team. If upsets were defined by point spreads, every time a team wins getting points would be considered an upset.

Yeah, breaking into the top 15 for the first time since 2007 is underachieving. That makes perfect sense. The ridiculousness of your position is that Stoops’ philosophy is what put us in a position for you to complain about not having more. No other coach's philosophy over the many years has achieved what he has achieved, yet you claim to know better. No one knows you. If you had voiced your brilliance and actually coached a football team to something noteworthy, maybe UK would have hired you and we would have a national championship by now.

As it is, Stoops continues to do the work and build upon his successes and take UK to previously uncharted waters. As much as you want people to choose your unproven method, I will choose Stoops. He has actually done it. You have not.

You've got me all wrong. I've given Stoops plenty of praise the past 2 years.....I am simply frustrated we seem to meltdown the 2nd half of the season.

I personally met Stoops in Florida while on vacation in Tampa area. I really like the guy. He and his family were very nice.

I've quoted several times that Defense wins championships so I'd rather be playing with Stoops than Mumme. I've even defended Eddie Gran. I don't think he's the problem either.

Saying that, I don't like seeing a team not show up at all some games. Even in bowl games occasionally.....That is on the head coach.

Now, I am saying we should dominate UL and blow them out. No, I won't be happy with a squeaker of a win....because we are far better.....It means we are underachieving if we can't dominate this UL team. Pure and simple. End the season the right way and go into the bowl game with momentum.

I'm hardly alone. I can guarantee you if we struggle against UL, I will not be the only one disappointed.....

Upsets are when you win against the run of play regardless of what others think going in.

So you think an upset is when the losing team outgains the winner in total yardage and snaps of the ball.

I’d never heard that, but I guess I see what you’re saying.

The hard part is, if Illinois beat Ohio State and if Illinois outgained them
by 150 yards, the whole world would call it an upset, but by your definition, it wouldn’t be one.

Hence, until you knew “the run [flow] of the game” there would not be a favorite and a dog.

but I promise you this season will be an anomaly if he doesn’t change his offensive philosophy. Under stoops we will be a 6-6, or 7-5 club 90% of the time with the occasional 8-4, 9-3 season thrown in.

The problem with your analysis is that similar predictions were made each of the last three seasons, with soothsayers saying Stoops could win no more than 5, then 7, and now with “the occasional 8-4, 9-3 season thrown in.”

Very few “threw in” the potential for 9-3 this season, prior to it nearing, and now it is used as a negative, or a ceiling?

I’ll have to see your crystal ball, before I believe your predictive capacity any greater than the cynics of the past.

If upsets were defined by point spreads, every time a team wins getting points would be considered an upset.

Yes, and you are the first I have ever read, met, or conversed with who did not consider that very statement the appropriate definition of an upset.

The problem with your analysis is that similar predictions were made each of the last three seasons, with soothsayers saying Stoops could win no more than 5, then 7, and now with “the occasional 8-4, 9-3 season thrown in.”

Very few “threw in” the potential for 9-3 this season, prior to it nearing, and now it is used as a negative, or a ceiling?

I’ll have to see your crystal ball, before I believe your predictive capacity any greater than the cynics of the past.

Finally in year 6 we had a defense that could actually stop someone. With last years defense this team probably not even bowl eligible. Time will tell if his success continues or if we just continue to be mediocre which we have been every year until this year and even then we are less than mediocre on offense. Glad you are fine with 7-5 seasons, they are better than 5-7 or even worse but certainly nothing to get excited about.

ADVERTISEMENT