ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: UL vs Duke

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I'm not going to say "who will you pull/root for" since that offends many. But which team do you want to lose less badly than the other when UL and Duke play later this month.

This post was edited on 1/4 4:27 PM by JonathanW

Shockingly, (and this is hard to say), I'll be rooting for Louisville for 2 reasons.

1.) We beat Louisville, so it'll make our win look better, and by the transitive property, would make us better than Duke
wink.r191677.gif

2.) I want to be the only undefeated team. I want ALL EYES on US!

If UL is as good as their fans think, and they get all the calls like they did in the UK game, they should win.

But I don't think they are all that good. I think they got damn lucky to be within 8 of UK, and I think Duke rolls them by 15.

I hope UL wins, because it helps our RPI and it means Duke is not as big of a threat as many think. Especially since we won with ease in the YUM.

By the way, it's being called The Floppening!

Originally posted by jarms24:
I hope UL wins, because it helps our RPI and it means Duke is not as big of a threat as many think. Especially since we won with ease in the YUM.

^^this

On the 17th, should the thread be: The Floppening...Duke/Louisville Game thread or Duke/Louisville game thread-The Floppening

Surely this poll means who people WANT to win and not who they THINK will win, richt?

Louisville is one of the most overrated teams in CBB. they are nowhere near Dukes level. Duke will role them save for an off night or hey fouls go uncalled.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Surely this poll means who people WANT to win and not who they THINK will win, richt?

Louisville is one of the most overrated teams in CBB. they are nowhere near Dukes level. Duke will role them save for an off night or hey fouls go uncalled.
Correct!

I'm surprised it's around 50/50 right now.
As for who people think will win, I expect that to go about 80/20 for Duke.

Originally posted by dmaso44:

On the 17th, should the thread be: The Floppening...Duke/Louisville Game thread or Duke/Louisville game thread-The Floppening
The Floppening

NONE of the above Johnathon, I only root for UK. I will however enjoy seeing one of these sorry programs lose..

Duke will win this game. UL is way overrated. I would never pull for UL no matter who they play.

I wish there was a way both teams lose. That would be the perfect scenario.

Originally posted by sonnyg333:

NONE of the above Johnathon, I only root for UK. I will however enjoy seeing one of these sorry programs lose..
Did you not read the message attached to the poll? None of us will be rooting for either UL or Duke. But rather who is the team you want to lose more, then say the other team.

UL will probably win this game.

Duke has a stretch of games as follows:

Jan. 17 @ UL
Jan. 19 Pitt
Jan. 25 @ St. Johns
Jan. 28 @ Notre Dame
Jan. 31 @ Virginia

They will lose at least 2 of those 4 road games. I'd say UL and either Notre Dame or Virginia.

I like Kentucky having another program with them in their quest for going undefeated. The longer 2-3 teams are undefeated the less all eyes will be on the Cats.

We beat UL with ease, so I hope UL wins vs. Duke. Also, I believe that Duke will melt if UL is allowed to play as physical as they were permitted against UK.

Duke will win. I think ULs bigs get in foul trouble trying to bang down low.

All things even, Duke rolls UL. But I get the sense that with Pitino's style of hard, physical ball.. coupled with him being one of the bigger coaches in college ball.. I don't think Duke will get as many calls as they normally would. Refs are going to let UofL be atleast a bit physical. And with Harrell being a one-man-show, they won't let him foul out.

Duke lives by getting all the calls and not being able to breath on them.
UofL lives by physical play and these same actions not being whistled.

Two polar opposites. I think UofL's style wins out, but they still lose by 8.

Originally posted by dmaso44:

I think Duke/Louisville: The Floppening

That way it gets everyone's attention. I'll post all my comments in it but rest assured one of them will create another game thread. Maybe we can guesstimate how many flops will occur.

Duke because many of their fans post with reason , while most UL fans post idiotic rambling with zero basis in reality . I don't even hate Lousville because I dont have to deal with their fans on a regular basis but when I do they are jealous and stupid , I can't respect that .

Originally posted by westerncat:

Duke will win this game. UL is way overrated. I would never pull for UL no matter who they play.
This. Please stop with the "If Louisville wins, it will make our win over them look better". This is truly one year when we don't need any help with the RPI, etc. I have said it over and over. If you are a Kentucky fan, and live in Louisville, there is no way in hell that you would ever pull for Louisville against anybody.

Their fans hate us, and they are the most obnoxious fans in the country. I would pull for the Communist all stars against Loserville, and I am not joking.

Originally posted by BlueChuck:

This. Please stop with the "If Louisville wins, it will make our win over them look better". This is truly one year when we don't need any help with the RPI, etc. I have said it over and over. If you are a Kentucky fan, and live in Louisville, there is no way in hell that you would ever pull for Louisville against anybody.

Their fans hate us, and they are the most obnoxious fans in the country. I would pull for the Communist all stars against Loserville, and I am not joking.
I agree with all of this. Still, Krivezooski is the only legitimate threat to Cal's recruiting nationwide so I gotta be about anything that makes him look like he's doing less with more. On Jan 17 I'll be rooting against Duke. Frankly I'll be fine with a Duke victory as long as it's ugly and by less than 5 points.

Originally posted by BlueSince92:
Originally posted by BlueChuck:

I agree with all of this. Still, Krivezooski is the only legitimate threat to Cal's recruiting nationwide so I gotta be about anything that makes him look like he's doing less with more. On Jan 17 I'll be rooting against Duke. Frankly I'll be fine with a Duke victory as long as it's ugly and by less than 5 points.
And if you are a UK fan and live in the Triangle (where I do), there is no way in hell that you would ever pull for Duke over anyone (except maybe UNC). We can play that game with several schools (UL in Louisville, Duke & UNC in North Carolina, IU in Indiana, UF in Florida, KU in Kansas, UT in Tennessee, maybe a few others). UL is a regional city school, with very few fans outside of Jefferson Co KY, and absolutely no following outside of KY. I've lived outside of KY for over 20 years and I've met only 1 UL fan during that time. I can't leave home wearing UK stuff without a shoutout from another UK fan (and that's living in the middle of Tobacco Road). Travel the country, and you'll see fans of other (than where you are) major schools (UNC, Duke, KU, Syracuse, Ohio St, Florida), but you don't see fans of UL. There are only 3 schools that can legitimately try to claim (without getting laughed at) as National competitors to UK, and they are UNC, Duke, and KU. That is who we compete with at the National level in terms of recruits, and national prominence. Not "little-brother". Now for 1 weekend a year, yeah all UK fans hate UL more than anyone else. But that's it.

We probably won't need the RPI help. But on the chance that we lose a game, or even two, we do want the strongest RPI possible to get the preferred top #1 seeding that gets us the more favorable game locations.

Easiest decision I'll make all day, Duke... Next on my list, how much sugar should I put in my coffee?

The only thing I root for Louisville to do is to lose. I don't care who they are playing.

A UofL win would help our RPI but would have absolutely no bearing on whether or not Duke is a threat to UK. I am sure you are aware CBB is all about matchups and what happens between Team A and Team B has no bearing on how Team C would fare against either.

Either Duke or UL will lose,that's good enough for me.Now that UL is in the ACC the fact that UNC,Duke or UL will lose more often brightens my outlook on college basketball
happy0005.r191677.gif

Duke. I have UofL family members and this would somehow become a win over UK. I don't even ask them to explain it anymore, science couldn't even explain it.

I'm shocked that so many UK fans picked ul. You know, the same school whose fans cheered the injury to Poythress. They also hoped for more of our players to be be hurt. Has anything like that come out of dUKe?
question.r191677.gif

I have never held the same hatred for Duke that I have for Tennessee, Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas or Louisville.

Originally posted by ThroughBlue:

I have never held the same hatred for Duke that I have for Tennessee, Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas or Louisville.
You could combine all those other teams (except for Indiana) and I still wouldn't dislike that collective team more than I dislike UL. They are in a league all by themselves, followed by Indiana, and then there's the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT