ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Is John Calipari worth his salary?

Is Coach Calipari worth his salary?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 17, 2021
Was asked this by a close friend, so I figured I would turn to the Kentucky sphere and ask the same question. Is Coach John Calipari worth his contract? Here are the details:

- Contract is valued at $86 million
- Contract has a base salary of $400,000 per season
- Starting in 2021-22, Coach Cal makes $8.5 million per year for four seasons
- In 2025-26, he makes $9 million per year for four seasons

Edit: Buyout for next season is $42 mil.

A lot of fans seem to be frustrated with Coach Cal. I'm not trying to insinuate something by asking this question, I'm just curious as to what you guys think.

Last edited:
Per MJ; Cal's buyout for next year $42 Million. Goes down about $10 million a year after that. FWIW.
Even at next year’s $42 million rate, that would still be far more than any buyout ever paid in the history of sports.

The only hope is for Cal to voluntarily resign, firing him ain’t a realistic option for at least a couple more years.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Is he now worth half his current salary to another school? Maybe, maybe not.

Reactions: dl51344
The whole concept of a person teaching someone should be compensated is far fetched.

Sad to say Clay Travis was right on this one, no college basketball coach brings in enough revenue to justify that salary and horrid contract.

And before somebody tells me how high our revenue is, that’s just UK basketball being UK, not Cal. Then compare it to the average SEC football revenue.

The whole concept of a person teaching someone should be compensated is far fetched.
Well, no. Simple goods and services. Your heart surgeon can be taught by Jim Bob on YouTube, or taught by top medical professionals. Really, if you think about a lot of stuff, you might rethink that opinion. But, I think I get your overall point.

I put no cause right now things look bleak and lately falling short of expectations …now if Oscar and Sharpe return I’d probably answer different …nice find …started by my friend Lance Dawe

It's irrelevant thing to be mad about, but it's easy so people can't resist.

It's like people around here have their memory wiped every night. Do you forget you've made the same posts and statements every day? We need one of them signs, Days since Cal Salary post. Spoiler, it's been zero for 6 months. Should be measured in hours.

Yeah the salary thing makes no difference whatsoever to me.

Like, would anyone have felt differently if Cal was only making 2 million about this season?

His salary really has no bearing on me whatsoever. I'm not paying it lol

Reactions: gojvc

Like, would anyone have felt differently if Cal was only making 2 million about this season?

His salary is probably the thing holding him down, or his contract at least. He’s got Mitch by the cajones and can pretty much do whatever next season and maybe get canned, but that’s a maybe.

Well, no. Simple goods and services. Your heart surgeon can be taught by Jim Bob on YouTube, or taught by top medical professionals. Really, if you think about a lot of stuff, you might rethink that opinion. But, I think I get your overall point.
The only species on the planet that charges our young to learn.

Yes, it would have.

Reactions: CB3UK
Nick Saban isn’t worth it either.
giphy.gif

It wouldn't excuse the St Pete loss. But when you're the highest paid coach people expect top results. The last 7 years haven't even been Tubby caliber results. Hence why people are pissed at the salary.

If I go down to Tony's or Jeff Ruby's and I pay for a NY Strip and they bring me a Big Mac, yeah....I'm gonna be salty.

What's most alarming is only 180 people voted. Is this what's left of Kentucky basketball? I can remember more than one occasion where we had over 30,000 people on the board at one time.

ADVERTISEMENT