POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The cake is just a symptom of the underlying disease. I can just as easily tell you "to stop pretending" there's a man in the sky who watches our every move. "I don't care if you pretend, be you, but refusing to bake a cake because you want to be seen as something you are not verges on narcissism." FTFY.

So, you would be incensed if the baker refused the “I am Jesus” cake? Just checking, because you call out others you think are dodging, but you dodge more than anyone.

Did you know you really have to work hard to be a woman. Just because you are born a woman does not mean your are more of a woman than a tran. You did nothing to be a woman but trans work hard at it. They put in the hours of hard work, the sweat, the tears. It is hard hard work. So they are more of a woman than the woman created by God.

Don't you just love this higher education.

You found Dion’s TikTok!!!

You argue political philosophies are religions all the time. Should Marxism be covered under religious freedom? Is it my religious right to raise your taxes?

Why would it be your religious right - Marxist, global warmingist, Covidist or otherwise - to raise my taxes?

If you have a deeply held belief in a fantasy based on an old book, I respect your right to exercise your faith as you see fit. I’ll even go so far as to say if you had a job, I wouldn’t force you to serve capitalists or make them cakes.

So, you would be incensed if the baker refused the “I am Jesus” cake? Just checking, because you call out others you think are dodging, but you dodge more than anyone.
So I didn't touch your hypothetical because of the obvious use of language issue. I made the same comparison earlier in the thread:
No, a pink cake with blue frosting is not compelled speech. As the court ruled. He wasn’t asked to bake a cake with, “I support sex transitioning!” on it. Just a colored cake. He initially agreed to make the cake and then refused once he found out who it is was for. Denial of service.

Granting though that you somehow found a way to make the hypothetical all about religion as a protected class and not speech, then yes, I 100% have the same interpretation. A baker open to the public has to make a six-pointed star cake even if they hate Jews. They're free to say Jews killed Jesus all they want, but they can't refuse basic service just because of who someone is(identity). Religion is on that list.

When i read his post about a virus replicating on your mask i laughed pretty hard out loud. the MAGA crowd aren't the brightest
9rax9s2e3vfa1.jpg

As much as I pride myself in not putting anyone on ignore, is it possible to start a religious thread so the resident libs can stop hijacking the political banter?
As this case shows the constitutional concerns at play here are at the forefront of politics like it or not. Just like abortion. These are uncomfortable topics but laws are being passed and cases are being decided that affect us all. Just as much as the tax code, foreign policy, or domestic regulations and bureaucracy.

Reactions: sambowieshin
So I didn't touch your hypothetical because of the obvious use of language issue. I made the same comparison earlier in the thread:

Granting though that you somehow found a way to make the hypothetical all about religion as a protected class and not speech, then yes, I 100% have the same interpretation. A baker open to the public has to make a six-pointed star cake even if they hate Jews. They're free to say Jews killed Jesus all they want, but they can't refuse basic service just because of who someone is(identity). Religion is on that list.
It is interesting how you so respect the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but not the supreme law of the land. You just don’t like to mention the First Amendment at all. Article VI of the constitution makes the constitution the supreme law of the land. It’s not just a hurdle to your desire to force the baker, it is the hurdle. You don’t like to address it, but any law formed by congress is subject to the constitution.

It's actually your incessant use of hypotheticals, and 'well, what if' scenarios, which are typical argumentative tactics of someone who doesn't have a good argument about the fact pattern that does exist.
Well my hypotheticals are mostly to explain the court's ruling that the majority here seems to disagree with. So do you think the CO Supreme Court will overturn it on the appeal? @Caveman Catfan is already on record, care to join him?
I think the current Supreme Court will respect the 1st Amendment.

It is interesting how you so respect the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but not the supreme law of the land. You just don’t like to mention the First Amendment at all. Article VI of the constitution makes the constitution the supreme law of the land. It’s not just a hurdle to your desire to force the baker, it is the hurdle. You don’t like to address it, but any law formed by congress is subject to the constitution.
Because I don't think it's applicable here. The courts have ruled the pink cake with blue frosting isn't compelled speech so there isn't a free speech issue, which just leaves religion. He's perfectly free to practice his religion. His Christianity doesn't compel him to own a bakery. If he feels it compels him to not sell pink cakes with blue frosting to a trans person then ok, he's free not to. He just can't then turn around and sell to other people. That side of the equation is what the Civil Rights Act covers and what's operative here. Not the First Amendment.

Why would it be your religious right - Marxist, global warmingist, Covidist or otherwise - to raise my taxes?

If you have a deeply held belief in a fantasy based on an old book, I respect your right to exercise your faith as you see fit. I’ll even go so far as to say if you had a job, I wouldn’t force you to serve capitalists or make them cakes.

This is a key distinction; hell, I wouldn't care if someone refused me ANY service based on ANY reason in modern America... I'd just go elsewhere, someone else gets my business and you can get pumped!

But that's not even what's at issue here. They can have their cake, they just can't force the proprietor to make a specific cake in violation of common and justified sincerely held religious conviction.

Biggest issue is that religion and politics have become intertwined to the point that I don't think they can be untangled.
They can be, we just have to be vigilant across the many forms of encroachment. We are a secular state. This is one such battle. If we start losing them we could go the way of Turkey.

But that's not even what's at issue here. They can have their cake, they just can't force the proprietor to make a specific cake in violation of common and justified sincerely held religious conviction.
So can I chalk this up as another prediction of overturn on appeal? I may keep a tally.

Well my hypotheticals are mostly to explain the court's ruling that the majority here seems to disagree with. So do you think the CO Supreme Court will overturn it on the appeal? @Caveman Catfan is already on record, care to join him?
No. I said the Supreme Court. Not the Supreme Court of Colorado. I even clarified that I have made no predictions about the appellate process in Colorado. Please attempt to demonstrate a bit of character here and quit with the silly gamesmanship.

Because I don't think it's applicable here. The courts have ruled the pink cake with blue frosting isn't compelled speech so there isn't a free speech issue, which just leaves religion. He's perfectly free to practice his religion. His Christianity doesn't compel him to own a bakery. If he feels it compels him to not sell pink cakes with blue frosting to a trans person then ok, he's free not to. He just can't then turn around and sell to other people. That side of the equation is what the Civil Rights Act covers and what's operative here. Not the First Amendment.
Dude, quit with the redundant claim that the government can force him out of business if he wants to respect his sincere religious beliefs. How many times are you going to post the same post? Everyone here knows that you don’t believe that freedom means having your religious beliefs AND being able to pursue your own business.

You believe the first amendment means a person of faith must hide from the government control of religion to express religion. That is not what the constitution says. It does not say you can freely express so long as you stay out of government oversight. Quite the opposite.

Reactions: hmt5000
NO CHANCE Bill Hicks (RIP) could do this today (heck, this recording was banned for 17 years on Letterman).

The real fun begins at 2:30 or so...

Holy shit did you really not get the joke? He's slamming y'all calling the male homosexuality "disgusting, grotesque, and evil" while totally being fine with the chicks kissing. It's a classic bait-and-switch. Even got the guy in the crowd to cheer.

No. I said the Supreme Court. Not the Supreme Court of Colorado. I even clarified that I have made no predictions about the appellate process in Colorado. Please attempt to demonstrate a bit of character here and quit with the silly gamesmanship.
Well that's fine but you didn't specify which Supreme Court and CO's is the next step in the process. Your prediction is for SCOTUS, heard.

Dude, quit with the redundant claim that the government can force him out of business if he wants to respect his sincere religious beliefs. How many times are you going to post the same post? Everyone here knows that you don’t believe that freedom means having your religious beliefs AND being able to pursue your own business.

You believe the first amendment means a person of faith must hide from the government control of religion to express religion. That is not what the constitution says. It does not say you can freely express so long as you stay out of government oversight. Quite the opposite.
From the appellate court decision itself: "Additionally, the division concludes that CADA’s prohibition against discrimination based on a person’s transgender status does not violate a proprietor’s right to freely exercise or express their religion." That's directly in reference to the First Amendment freedom of religion claim.

They're always so generous and virtuous with someone else's money and neighborhoods.
Those who are so gung ho about raising taxes can lead by example. Hey libs, why not send in an extra thousand or two to the IRS every month over and beyond what they will take from you.

Lead by example libs.

In fact, 303Creative v. Elenis may be the case to watch, rather than the cake case. It may not be the exact same issue, but deals with the same Colorado law, I believe. SCOTUS has accepted review of the 10th Circuit’s rejection of the graphic design company’s claim that the state law infringes on religious beliefs. There is a standing question in the case, but I doubt the Court would accept certiorari for a standing issue if it agreed with the Circuit Court. Time will tell.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT