ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guard for the 2017-18 season

Cal is going to let the first fan to claim each gameday on their TimeSet start at point for that contest.

Reactions: Cats192
Green probably plays 35+ mpg. I figure it will be Gilgeous-Alexander or maybe Vanderbilt as the backup for the few minutes a game that Green is out.

Reactions: WildMoon
IMO Gilgeous-Alexander will be the backup, but if that doesn't work out, Diallo said he had mainly played the point in practice last semester.

Alexander will be the back up and ge may prove to Cal that he deserves to start. I think the minute's will be pretty evently distributed between them to keep our lead guard oh so crisp.

I wouldn't be surprised by a 25-15 minute split between them

Quickley or Smart with Quade and Alexander. Next year will showcase a two pg backcourt ala 2009 unless we land Langford.

Quade Green should be the starter, but who will be the back-up?

That kid who scored 29 points, grabbed 9 boards, had 6 assists..won the three point contest and nabbed the MVP honors at the Derby Classic... that kid will be our back up point guard...

Reactions: MbergCat
I heard on Jerry Eaves show that Diallo was projected as a PG in the NBA ala Westbrook, first I had heard of that. Eaves was at the combine by the way.

Do you not know the full roster?
My question was based on Baker or Alexander and wondering who people thought would be the primary back-up to Green. Both look good to me, but the clips I saw of each didn't really highlight their PG skills, primarily. Based on his size, I thought Baker might command more minutes at the point.

My question was based on Baker or Alexander and wondering who people thought would be the primary back-up to Green. Both look good to me, but the clips I saw of each didn't really highlight their PG skills, primarily. Based on his size, I thought Baker might command more minutes at the point.
Alexander was ranked right behind Green and will be the better PG down the road.. Baker is a 2g and that'll be his roll at UK..

Reactions: MbergCat
This is stupid. Green is our starter and he's being severely undervalued on here. He'll be a top 5 PG in all of college this season. He's a great ball handler, great distributor, doesn't turn it over, great court vision, BB IQ,, feel for the game, etc. He's the real deal. A true PG with insane handles and passing ability. SGA will obviously be the backup PG. But Green will play in between 32-36 minutes a game and he'll be a big time key. He should be a stud from day 1. Some mistakes here and there early, but he'll be better than y'all think. As for Baker.... Baker can play some PG in a pinch, but he's a true blue SG, and will play some big minutes for us this year even with Diallo back. Baker can light it up from 3 and is a true scoring guard. He's a Doran Lamb type and is more ready than some think. With Diallo I'd say Baker plays like 10-11 minutes a game and gives us 4-5 pts. Without probably 25-28 minutes and 10-12 pts. I'm telling you. This kid is gonna make us some happy fans.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
This is stupid. Green is our starter and he's being severely undervalued on here. He'll be a top 5 PG in all of college this season. He's a great ball handler, great distributor, doesn't turn it over, great court vision, BB IQ,, feel for the game, etc. He's the real deal. A true PG with insane handles and passing ability. SGA will obviously be the backup PG. But Green will play in between 32-36 minutes a game and he'll be a big time key. He should be a stud from day 1. Some mistakes here and there early, but he'll be better than y'all think. As for Baker.... Baker can play some PG in a pinch, but he's a true blue SG, and will play some big minutes for us this year even with Diallo back. Baker can light it up from 3 and is a true scoring guard. He's a Doran Lamb type and is more ready than some think. With Diallo I'd say Baker plays like 10-11 minutes a game and gives us 4-5 pts. Without probably 25-28 minutes and 10-12 pts. I'm telling you. This kid is gonna make us some happy fans.
[thumb2]

If he can dish out assists like he can loafs of bread then we can definitely achieve the impossible and get to 40-0!!!!

I hate to think about what happens if he makes any mistakes, he'd probably get blamed by many on here, you might even say he'd get...

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Yes, I agree. Green should be excellent. He's a very adept ball-handler and passer. Since they were both (Baker and Alexander) listed as PG on the recruiting page. i was curious who folks thought was the back-up option. It appears that most here think it will be Alexander, so I assume it will be him. I love Baker's shooting ability, based on his highlights. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Green is the PG. I will say with the roster UK has now and may have, that Cal will have a lot versatility with these guys. Maybe more than he has had at UK.
He could go big and have SGA at PG, Knox at the 2, JV at the 3, PJ/Gabriel/SKJ a the 4, and Richardshe at the 5.
Or go small, Green at PG, Baker at 2, etc.

Quade Green should be the starter, but who will be the back-up?
After seeing how vocal this kid is I am anxious to see him out there running the team. I have always liked a PG that talks to his team. He went to the bench and was still talking to his team. I think this will make him a fan favorite.

I like Quade, but he's not going to be a top 5 PG in the country next year.

Sexton, Duval, Shamet, Berry, Winston, Snider are better and that's just off the top of my head.

But we won't need him to be.

I like Quade, but he's not going to be a top 5 PG in the country next year.

Sexton, Duval, Shamet, Berry, Winston, Snider are better and that's just off the top of my head.

But we won't need him to be.

Exactly.

In my mind, (Especially once we get Bamba and/or the one of Diallo/Johnson) Green is going to be Marquise Teague. He'll be a very talented playmaker, who plays his roll, gets the job done, and leads us to a national title with the future #1 (Bamba) and #2 (Knox) overall picks.

I'm thinking Green's backup may be the other 5-Star point guard that signed with Kentucky.

That kid who scored 29 points, grabbed 9 boards, had 6 assists..won the three point contest and nabbed the MVP honors at the Derby Classic... that kid will be our back up point guard...
You mean the same kid who would be the starting PG for 90% of teams in college basketball next year? Shocking. Lol

Alexander should back up Green and maybe see about 12-15 minutes, depending on foul trouble, game situation and also if Alexander should prove to be extremely valuable in certain match ups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT