ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Rules Committee approves technical fouls for flopping starting this season

Lol #1: This rule comes the year K retires

Lol #2: the rule goes out of effect for the NCAA tourney. Does any other sport change such a big rule for its biggest time of the season?
It’s because they know their refs as a whole aren’t cookie cutter trained in the off season like most other sports organizations and it’s more likely to put eyeballs on terrible balls in the NCAAT if they’re trying to enforce a rule that’s gonna be so subjective.

Reactions: Fox2monk
LOL. You can't make this stuff up.

coach-k-clapping.gif

I’d be down to make it 6 but they would have to extend the game at least a little bit. I don’t want a hack-a-thon.
A higher foul limit won't do much - if a ref wants to get a team in trouble, they'll do it. And would coaches change their 2 fouls and bench in first half rule? Make it 3 and bench? Again, refs will just find that third one however they like. Just like this flop rule - "judgment call" = whatever the ref wants or has money on that day.

In my opinion the number one rule that needs changed is the 5 foul rule. It’s ridiculous. It can completely change a game.
I agree with you that foul trouble can totally change a game. IMO they should be able to have 6 fouls and then after the 6th foul a coach can continue to play the offending player if he chooses but if the player picks up any additional fouls it would be like a technical with opposing team getting 2 shots and the ball. This would allow the player to continue to play but with additional penalty which would discourage guys from going out and committing 15 fouls. Of course the coach could also choose to sit a guy to avoid the 2 shots and ball penalty.

As for the flopping rule it won't matter they either won't call it or will be so inconsistent with the call, like they are with a block/charge that it will just be a disaster. The issue is the refs as much as it is the rules.

I’d be down to make it 6 but they would have to extend the game at least a little bit. I don’t want a hack-a-thon.

I'd put money on total fouls not going up. A LOT of fouls are committed once the 'star' player, think Oscar, gets his 2nd, then the backup, like Collins or Ware, come in and pick up 2-3 more fouls in 5 minutes. People watch basketball to see the best players play and the 5 fouls rule is way too restrictive on the stars' PT, just due to some of the guys getting whistled for minor things or even things they didn't do (ala Oscar in that 3rd UT game)

In my opinion the number one rule that needs changed is the 5 foul rule. It’s ridiculous. It can completely change a game.

Why? It's 1 foul for every 8 minutes of game, just like the NBA. Seems a reasonable enough number.

Still not harsh enough in my opinion. If you fake getting fouled and it’s obvious it should be deemed unsportsmanlike and ejected. This is a pansy ass enforcement which won’t change a thing.
It’s too harsh. They are going to be calling it on clear charges where they player actually does get sent flying. Given how bad they are at the block/charge call in general, this is only going to make things worse.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
I agree with the new rule. But in college especially, if the defender doesn't act like he got hit by a truck .... they never call the offensive foul. At least in the NBA the refs will call an offensive foul without the defender needing a drama degree to get a call.

These flops are going to be hard to decide unless they're only going to call non-contact flopping for a technical.

Lol #1: This rule comes the year K retires

Lol #2: the rule goes out of effect for the NCAA tourney. Does any other sport change such a big rule for its biggest time of the season?
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. So now all year we will hope to see that happen and during March madness when a huge flop happens it won’t be anything. Lmfao.

Reactions: mbc82584
Still not harsh enough in my opinion. If you fake getting fouled and it’s obvious it should be deemed unsportsmanlike and ejected. This is a pansy ass enforcement which won’t change a thing.
I don’t know, could be two fouls at once, one for the defensive foul, then the Tech. After getting the FT and the ball plus two fouls that’s a good swing.

Reds will call this inconsistent for a long time and then only call the bad ones by the time the tourney rolls around.

I agree with you that foul trouble can totally change a game. IMO they should be able to have 6 fouls and then after the 6th foul a coach can continue to play the offending player if he chooses but if the player picks up any additional fouls it would be like a technical with opposing team getting 2 shots and the ball. This would allow the player to continue to play but with additional penalty which would discourage guys from going out and committing 15 fouls. Of course the coach could also choose to sit a guy to avoid the 2 shots and ball penalty.

As for the flopping rule it won't matter they either won't call it or will be so inconsistent with the call, like they are with a block/charge that it will just be a disaster. The issue is the refs as much as it is the rules.
Good in theory but I can see the corrupt refs using that strategy to really get teams back in a game. Could you imagine some late game swings in some touch fouls where they get 2 and the ball every time the player is in? Depending on the player they may never want to take them out.

I don’t know, could be two fouls at once, one for the defensive foul, then the Tech. After getting the FT and the ball plus two fouls that’s a good swing.
they didn’t even take it that far. It is just a one shot technical, no additional foul or change of possession.

It’s too harsh. They are going to be calling it on clear charges where they player actually does get sent flying. Given how bad they are at the block/charge call in general, this is only going to make things worse.
I think where my ejection rule would apply is something like the Chris Jones acting on taking an elbow to the chops. Flopping on charges is a tough call. Some players legitimately take a charge but to just avoid possible injury and standing their ground and getting plowed over will start falling back right at contact. I have no issue with that as that is merely protecting yourself. Now taking a slight bump and hurling yourself 8 feet into the air is quite another thing.

they didn’t even take it that far. It is just a one shot technical, no additional foul or change of possession.
That sucks, it would have been really good to add the additional foul on it.

It's a good thing Grant Williams isn't still in college. He's the biggest non-dook flopper there is.

Reactions: SosaUK87
I’ve said that for awhile. Make every foul after the 5th one shot and the ball. Then the coach can decide how bad he wants that guy to play.

Reactions: Ed323232
I hope flopping includes throwing your head back like you just got rear ended even if not hit the floor.

I hope flopping includes throwing your head back like you just got rear ended even if not hit the floor.
What about when the player gets up rubbing his jaw. Then the replay shows there was no contact at all. That gets me red assed.

Good in theory but I can see the corrupt refs using that strategy to really get teams back in a game. Could you imagine some late game swings in some touch fouls where they get 2 and the ball every time the player is in? Depending on the player they may never want to take them out.
and that is the risk a coach would run by leaving a guy with 6 fouls in the game. 🤷‍♀️

ADVERTISEMENT