Players do care about being at UK per Mike Pratt

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
Mike Pratt: Players do care about being at UK
by Larry Vaught

xdR_w0jxqyQN37JBHhbDmO9vI2RXKXXKTocSm2N984dzsrXDMkbzi4NP5b0SUvJkfkPBoevgp-SiQKS0U7wptTb0I4IeseubQBEpIn1qPt3azLIpxyZ4m4gTRnwS0onwTInasihd=s0-d-e1-ft

Mike Pratt, right, with former Cats Louie Dampier, left, and Bill Busey. (Larry Vaught/Verizon Photo)
By LARRY VAUGHT

How much do basketball players truly care about playing at the University of Kentucky?

That was a question Tim Estes of WPBK-FM asked UK Basketball Radio Network analyst Mike Pratt when he joined us recently to talk all things UK basketball.

“There is no question they care. You can tell by way they respond to questions and interact with people around them,” said Pratt, a former UK All-American. “Do they care about getting to the league (NBA)? Sure.

“It sounds good when you sign (with Kentucky) to talk about one reason is because of the way Cal gets players to the league. But they have personalities and they really enjoy their experiences and the love they get from BBN.”

Pratt said sometimes he thinks fans might overreact to what they hear from those close to players or what might be said when a player leaves for the NBA.

“Kids really enjoy their stay and enjoy being a part of it here at Kentucky,” Pratt said. “They grow close during their time at UK. Calipari does wonderful job building a family atmosphere and anyone who doesn’t get that just doesn’t get UK basketball.”

Ugh. This broke me. I was already upset after that jobing and then that hurt. I had finally connected with Fox and Monk and cared about them as players and kids. Hurt to see that after they played their guts out only to have that game stolen from them.

98% of the guys that come through here care about Kentucky and playing for us. We’ve had a couple I really have had to wonder about though.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that they do enjoy their time at UK. You hear so much from other people that are supposed to be closed to the players. Great read.

Reactions: HICATFAN
Ugh. This broke me. I was already upset after that jobing and then that hurt. I had finally connected with Fox and Monk and cared about them as players and kids. Hurt to see that after they played their guts out only to have that game stolen from them.

98% of the guys that come through here care about Kentucky and playing for us. We’ve had a couple I really have had to wonder about though.
Horrific loss. We were the best team in the country at that point.

Anybody really surprised by what he said? Of course they prize the time spent here. That anyone thinks otherwise is laughable.

Reactions: awf
Fans are far more selfish than players are, they expect everybody to do what’s best for a school instead of their own lives. The fans that pump that garbage just want to build super teams for their own enjoyment, ironically they don’t give a touch about the players.

Nothing selfish whatsoever for UK fans to want championships. Also nothing wrong for players to want to get to the NBA. A team full of players that bust their butt for the good of the team while preparing for the next level works for everybody. Pretty sure the 2012 team left it all on the floor for the good of UK (the school), BBN (the fans), as well as their own futures. Worked out pretty well all the way around. That seems to me like what should be expected by everyone and you may not win the NC every year but you figure to get your fair share.

Dampier was my Dads favorite player ever at UK. Pratt was my moms favorite. She loved the fact that he took no crap off anyone. Tough nosed kid who would rebound and shoot the ball well.

Reactions: HICATFAN
Nothing selfish whatsoever for UK fans to want championships. Also nothing wrong for players to want to get to the NBA. A team full of players that bust their butt for the good of the team while preparing for the next level works for everybody. Pretty sure the 2012 team left it all on the floor for the good of UK (the school), BBN (the fans), as well as their own futures. Worked out pretty well all the way around. That seems to me like what should be expected by everyone and you may not win the NC every year but you figure to get your fair share.
If fans expect players to stay then it is selfish because they only want the player to do so to increase title chances. If players win a title then some fans think they did their part and are ok to leave, your 2012 example fits that. Players don’t owe fans a title and effort is not calculated by end of season accomplishments.

Fans are probably the most selfish group of all imo and they expect more than anyone involved. Fans think they’re the best and nobody cares as much as they do, somehow they deem their interests as righteous.

If fans expect players to stay then it is selfish because they only want the player to do so to increase title chances. If players win a title then some fans think they did their part and are ok to leave, your 2012 example fits that. Players don’t owe fans a title and effort is not calculated by end of season accomplishments.

Fans are probably the most selfish group of all imo and they expect more than anyone involved. Fans think they’re the best and nobody cares as much as they do, somehow they deem their interests as righteous.

I agree, sort of. I really do. There are WAY to many negative fans with unrealistic expectations, HOWEVER its not "selfish" for some fans (especially some of the older guys...50-80 years old) to "want" some players to possibly return or have some type of roster stability considering they are FANS of the school/team. Without BBN/ the fans none of this would even be happening. Fans provide the $$ for all this to happen.

Personally I am perfectly OK with the O&D era. Its been VERY good to us and with the exception of the 1940's/50's Cal has UK on its most successful run in the history of the program.

They definitely care but not as much as us fans, therefore half of RR goes on a panic attack when a player leaves for his ultimate goal.

Mike Pratt: Players do care about being at UK
by Larry Vaught

xdR_w0jxqyQN37JBHhbDmO9vI2RXKXXKTocSm2N984dzsrXDMkbzi4NP5b0SUvJkfkPBoevgp-SiQKS0U7wptTb0I4IeseubQBEpIn1qPt3azLIpxyZ4m4gTRnwS0onwTInasihd=s0-d-e1-ft

Mike Pratt, right, with former Cats Louie Dampier, left, and Bill Busey. (Larry Vaught/Verizon Photo)
By LARRY VAUGHT

How much do basketball players truly care about playing at the University of Kentucky?

That was a question Tim Estes of WPBK-FM asked UK Basketball Radio Network analyst Mike Pratt when he joined us recently to talk all things UK basketball.

“There is no question they care. You can tell by way they respond to questions and interact with people around them,” said Pratt, a former UK All-American. “Do they care about getting to the league (NBA)? Sure.

“It sounds good when you sign (with Kentucky) to talk about one reason is because of the way Cal gets players to the league. But they have personalities and they really enjoy their experiences and the love they get from BBN.”

Pratt said sometimes he thinks fans might overreact to what they hear from those close to players or what might be said when a player leaves for the NBA.

“Kids really enjoy their stay and enjoy being a part of it here at Kentucky,” Pratt said. “They grow close during their time at UK. Calipari does wonderful job building a family atmosphere and anyone who doesn’t get that just doesn’t get UK basketball.”
Bill Busey a class act played with Mike Casey at Shelby County still farming in Baghdad today..A teammate and great guy,,,

I believe this to be true in a lot of cases. But in PJs case no way in hell. He'd rather go late second round/undrafted and go to g league to make 35k a year than stay at UK for one more year, enter a much weaker draft and likely get guaranteed millions. That kid is not true blue IMUO. Our last memory of him will be his legs shaking at the free line and having an all time worthy choke job. Give me vando and Reid and goodluck in the g league making 35k a year. You'll soon learn the NBA has no place for 6'7 post up centers with no perimeter skills who are the size of the average NBA small forward. I'd bet the house that if he leaves this season he will be making 35k in the g league for many years to come or go overseas for a pay increase in relation to g league.

Reactions: susan2361
I believe this to be true in a lot of cases. But in PJs case no way in hell. He'd rather go late second round/undrafted and go to g league to make 35k a year than stay at UK for one more year, enter a much weaker draft and likely get guaranteed millions. That kid is not true blue IMUO. Our last memory of him will be his legs shaking at the free line and having an all time worthy choke job. Give me vando and Reid and goodluck in the g league making 35k a year. You'll soon learn the NBA has no place for 6'7 post up centers with no perimeter skills who are the size of the average NBA small forward. I'd bet the house that if he leaves this season he will be making 35k in the g league for many years to come or go overseas for a pay increase in relation to g league.

Let’s see how PJ’s case turns out. If he does go now then it will be an idiotic move but I’m thinking that the Washington’s have a good head on their shoulders and will weigh the pros and cons of this.

Reactions: Poetax
If he's so awful then why do you want him back?

Bill Busey a class act played with Mike Casey at Shelby County still farming in Baghdad today..A teammate and great guy,,,
Haven't heard of Busey in years,watched him many times in high school.Why did he leave UK?I have heard the stories but always wondered.

Reactions: 2Adulterers
Haven't heard of Busey in years,watched him many times in high school.Why did he leave UK?I have heard the stories but always wondered.
He was All State at Shelby County got disenchanted with lack of minutes under Rupp .

Did he play anywhere else or just drop out?

I liked your post because it showed Fox and Bam really cared. Pissed off all over again at the thought of those kids being robbed at a great shot at a national title, though. They called an even game when we played UCLA. Guess what, we beat them pretty handily. Same would have happened to UNCheat two days later, if it was called evenly. We were 8-12 points better than they were that day. JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cindog28
Chuck-Hayes-pumped.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT