ADVERTISEMENT

Player-by-Player Breakdown

ConRay9

Junior
Nov 15, 2017
Just to preface this, it’s very long. I’m also no expert, but I took notes and wanted to share my takeaways. I’m just so hyped for this season. I also missed about the first 5-10 minutes of play tonight. Feel free to poke holes in my observations.

Quade Green: His improvement won’t be dramatic this season, but he looks like a more polished version of his Freshman self. Looks to be in better shape. Can knock it down from anywhere on the court, and he’s a decent finisher considering his size. He makes some great passes.

Ashton Hagans: He’s going to have a ton of quiet games, but he will fill the box score up across the board. He’s the utility man on this team. He will have a ton of games where his box score will read something like: 8 Points, 5 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 3 Steals, 1 Block. Nothing that jumps out at you stats wise but consistency at everything and an absolute pit bull on the defensive end.

Immanuel Quickley: He’s going to be a surprise for a lot of opposing defenses this year. Can shoot the ball well, and is pretty smooth handling the ball. Wasn’t overly noticeable tonight but he can score in a variety of ways.

Jemarl Baker: He had some flashes tonight. I’m sure he was nervous and/or rusty. He looks a step behind, but I feel that’s more testament to the talent level of this team. For a player that is slated to be here multiple years, fans should feel good having him develop the next few years.

Tyler Herro: Natural scorer. It doesn’t matter where he is on the court, half court or in transition, he gets buckets. The best thing he can work on is shot selection, but he seems to hit it no matter when/where.

Keldon Johnson: He’s so talented. He easily has the highest ceiling on the team. I love his intensity on the defensive end. So many players of his caliber take a pass on the defensive end, but he’s just a competitor. The biggest thing he needs to work on is decision making and shot selection. He has a tendency to force things.

PJ Washington: It’s a night and day difference watching him move on the court. He looks so fluid compared to last year where he felt more rigid. He was strong, but almost stiff in movement. Shooting still remains to be seen, but he looks improved in that aspect. The sky is the limit for him this season.

Reid Travis: Forget what you saw from the Bahamas, save maybe the last game. He looked the part of an All-American level player tonight. He rebounds like Jarred Vanderbilt, but with an infinitely more polished offensive game. That’s scary. He’s going to be the best player on the court a lot of games this year.

EJ Montgomery: Man is he smooth. His touch on the ball, more than anything else, will command NBA scout’s attention. He’s very athletic for his size. He shows great promise on the defensive end, even if positioning and timing needs some work.

Nick Richards: I’m hesitant to heap praise on him considering the way he tailed off last season, but man he looks 10x more confident than he ever has before. His tenacity on the defensive end could result in the best rim protection since Willie. Shot blocking has been sorely missed the last few years. He’s got a lot of potential on the offensive side. His hands look much improved.

This is long enough as it is, but team wise I loved the ball movement and movement off the ball. With the way they pass it and move they can break down any defense. They just look in sync.

We haven’t had this good of a shooting team in awhile. Maybe the best of the Cal era.

I liked the amount of trash talking that was displayed tonight. In a weird way, it showed a high level of team chemistry. A team with poor chemistry would have been quiet, but they were going back and forth. It’s a sign of high competitiveness, as well as chemistry.

When we have games where Quade and Herro are making shots the Cats will be unbeatable. Those 2 guys are great shooters. I do wonder if Quade doesn't have enough faith in that part of his game, though. His mid-range is a big weapon. Just imagine if he were 6'4-5 or even taller.

Reactions: ConRay9
When we have games where Quade and Herro are making shots the Cats will be unbeatable. Those 2 guys are great shooters. I do wonder if Quade doesn't have enough faith in that part of his game, though. His mid-range is a big weapon. Just imagine if he were 6'4-5 or even taller.

Great point. Quade suffers in a similar respect that Ulis did, even if he’s not quite as talented. If either one were 4-5 inches taller they’d be absolute monsters. Quade has great touch from mid-range.

Just to preface this, it’s very long. I’m also no expert, but I took notes and wanted to share my takeaways. I’m just so hyped for this season. I also missed about the first 5-10 minutes of play tonight. Feel free to poke holes in my observations.

Quade Green: His improvement won’t be dramatic this season, but he looks like a more polished version of his Freshman self. Looks to be in better shape. Can knock it down from anywhere on the court, and he’s a decent finisher considering his size. He makes some great passes.

Ashton Hagans: He’s going to have a ton of quiet games, but he will fill the box score up across the board. He’s the utility man on this team. He will have a ton of games where his box score will read something like: 8 Points, 5 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 3 Steals, 1 Block. Nothing that jumps out at you stats wise but consistency at everything and an absolute pit bull on the defensive end.

Immanuel Quickley: He’s going to be a surprise for a lot of opposing defenses this year. Can shoot the ball well, and is pretty smooth handling the ball. Wasn’t overly noticeable tonight but he can score in a variety of ways.

Jemarl Baker: He had some flashes tonight. I’m sure he was nervous and/or rusty. He looks a step behind, but I feel that’s more testament to the talent level of this team. For a player that is slated to be here multiple years, fans should feel good having him develop the next few years.

Tyler Herro: Natural scorer. It doesn’t matter where he is on the court, half court or in transition, he gets buckets. The best thing he can work on is shot selection, but he seems to hit it no matter when/where.

Keldon Johnson: He’s so talented. He easily has the highest ceiling on the team. I love his intensity on the defensive end. So many players of his caliber take a pass on the defensive end, but he’s just a competitor. The biggest thing he needs to work on is decision making and shot selection. He has a tendency to force things.

PJ Washington: It’s a night and day difference watching him move on the court. He looks so fluid compared to last year where he felt more rigid. He was strong, but almost stiff in movement. Shooting still remains to be seen, but he looks improved in that aspect. The sky is the limit for him this season.

Reid Travis: Forget what you saw from the Bahamas, save maybe the last game. He looked the part of an All-American level player tonight. He rebounds like Jarred Vanderbilt, but with an infinitely more polished offensive game. That’s scary. He’s going to be the best player on the court a lot of games this year.

EJ Montgomery: Man is he smooth. His touch on the ball, more than anything else, will command NBA scout’s attention. He’s very athletic for his size. He shows great promise on the defensive end, even if positioning and timing needs some work.

Nick Richards: I’m hesitant to heap praise on him considering the way he tailed off last season, but man he looks 10x more confident than he ever has before. His tenacity on the defensive end could result in the best rim protection since Willie. Shot blocking has been sorely missed the last few years. He’s got a lot of potential on the offensive side. His hands look much improved.

This is long enough as it is, but team wise I loved the ball movement and movement off the ball. With the way they pass it and move they can break down any defense. They just look in sync.

We haven’t had this good of a shooting team in awhile. Maybe the best of the Cal era.

I liked the amount of trash talking that was displayed tonight. In a weird way, it showed a high level of team chemistry. A team with poor chemistry would have been quiet, but they were going back and forth. It’s a sign of high competitiveness, as well as chemistry.
Nice assessment. I basically agree with everything you said.

should be a fun, special team. we could have 5 or 6 guys lead a game in scoring. but might not have a true game in, game out star.

we got 9 guys that can play. and they each do something a little different. if guys buy into their roles, we should be really good.

Well done.

The talent on this team is sick . EJ , Herro , Hagans , and Johnson all could easily be lotto picks . Quick , Travis, Richards, and PJ could be 1st rounders. Will all that happen ? Most likely not but the point is THEY COULD. And both Green and Baker are plenty talented as well. Just bananas talent level . We literally have 9 guys I want to shoot the 3 when open . 9!

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Good take!! Mine is that we're damn talented, in my 40 yrs as a fan I can't remember a better tram

IMO we have not had a shooter like Herro in quite some time. Love this kids game. Wish we could keep him for 2 years but I know that will not happen.
Montgomery is another player that we have not seen much of except tonight and I like the way he plays. Another good shooter with high IQ. This is going to be a very fun team to watch.

IMO we have not had a shooter like Herro in quite some time. Love this kids game. Wish we could keep him for 2 years but I know that will not happen.
Montgomery is another player that we have not seen much of except tonight and I like the way he plays. Another good shooter with high IQ. This is going to be a very fun team to watch.
I'd be shocked if Herro isn't drafted somewhere between 5-12 after this season. But if he did come back he would be the hands down best player ( not most talented as that will be Wiseman and Carey but best) in 2020 IMO . Like cover of ESPN the mag and Sporting News ect POY preseason ect good. As you said though it ain't happening .

Reactions: westerncat
PJ Washington isn't getting talked about as much as he should.
I think we're all in love with all of the new toys we have and why wouldn't we be? Herro, Johnson, Q, Baker, EJ, I mean come on, that's a crazy amount of talent.
But Washington, as good as he was last year, is going to be so much better. He's completely changed his body. He's going to nanhandle dudes in the paint this year and it will be made easier for him because of the improved outside shooting. You can't clog the paint on this team.
But dayum, what about the outside shooting? We have 5 guys that can stroke it from out there… FIVE. 2 of them are dead eye shooters with Green not far behind.
If this isn't a mirage, we could be looking at UK's best shooting team in the 3 point era. That's saying something. Pitino had some stud shooting teams in the mid 90's, but this one looks like it could be better.
Can't wait for the season to start.
And remember, our team was split into two for this game, that looked like two top 10 teams out there tonight.

PJ Washington isn't getting talked about as much as he should.
I think we're all in love with all of the new toys we have and why wouldn't we be? Herro, Johnson, Q, Baker, EJ, I mean come on, that's a crazy amount of talent.
But Washington, as good as he was last year, is going to be so much better. He's completely changed his body. He's going to nanhandle dudes in the paint this year and it will be made easier for him because of the improved outside shooting. You can't clog the paint on this team.
But dayum, what about the outside shooting? We have 5 guys that can stroke it from out there… FIVE. 2 of them are dead eye shooters with Green not far behind.
If this isn't a mirage, we could be looking at UK's best shooting team in the 3 point era. That's saying something. Pitino had some stud shooting teams in the mid 90's, but this one looks like it could be better.
Can't wait for the season to start.
And remember, our team was split into two for this game, that looked like two top 10 teams out there tonight.

PJ's physical transformation might be the biggest takeaway for me personally so far this season. He was great for what he was last year, but he was playing at a weight that was sub-optimal for him. He glides around the court now. He looks so fluid and can maneuver his way in the paint more gracefully, but with near the same power he had last year. At this point, it's hard to point to more dramatic transformations from year one to year two in the Cal era.

Reactions: kyjeff1
He was warned to not watch:
hqdefault.jpg

PJ's physical transformation might be the biggest takeaway for me personally so far this season. He was great for what he was last year, but he was playing at a weight that was sub-optimal for him. He glides around the court now. He looks so fluid and can maneuver his way in the paint more gracefully, but with near the same power he had last year. At this point, it's hard to point to more dramatic transformations from year one to year two in the Cal era.

PJ is a testament to why an elite high school player would choose to come to an elite college for a year instead of take $150k in the G league.

The conditioning, strength training, and nutrition you get at a top school like UK is much closer to what you'd receive in the NBA than the G league. Not to mention coaching...

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Good post OP.

So we have 9 guys that can play, maybe 10. Since we know that i) the Platoon used in 2015 seemed to hurt recruiting and ii) Cal has always preferred an 8 man rotation.....most interesting question for me is who of the 10 won’t end up getting a lot of clock?

ADVERTISEMENT