ADVERTISEMENT

Play not to Lose Philosophy is why

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
Kentucky may never become elite or win the SEC East. You watch Bama, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State ect, and they would probably throw the ball there instead of run the ball. Why would they throw the ball? To seal the win, remove hope from the other team and establish dominance. Wouldn't Coen throw there? He did last year I believe. I don't know why Stoops/Scran is so dang conservative sometimes. You watch Nick Saban who changes his philosophy and the guy has what, 7 championships? Something to consider.

I think a lot of it is confidence tho. You throw the ball in that situation because you know you can get the first down and end the game.
I think it's easier to do that when you are Alabama, MIchigan, Ohio St, Georgia etc etc.
I think it's tougher to do that when you are UK.
While I agree we are too conservative at times, some of it I do understand.

Reactions: Farsight
I think a lot of it is confidence tho. You throw the ball in that situation because you know you can get the first down and end the game.
I think it's easier to do that when you are Alabama, MIchigan, Ohio St, Georgia etc etc.
I think it's tougher to do that when you are UK.
While I agree we are too conservative at times, some of it I do understand.
I think that could be it. It takes discernment of when to be aggressive and when to conservative. UK is way too predictable.

Also holds for U6. Domann throws that final interception And as he sits on the bench he had a big grin on his face. Like I told my wife few days ago, I hate losing more than I like winning.

I think that could be it. It takes discernment of when to be aggressive and when to conservative. UK is way too predictable.

I totally agree. I mean especially in a time where teams in the NFL and College are in fact being ultra aggressive (ie going for it more often on 4th down)........UK........under Stoops........just doesn't.

Levi's talked game philosophy after the game. He said when you get up three scores you milk the clock. Said they could have passed more but didn't need to. Like Woody Hayes said, "When you throw the ball one of three things happen and two of them are bad." Stoops thinks like Woody, but I don't think he has ever tackled an opposing player on the field.

Reactions: Farsight and rudd1
Levi's talked game philosophy after the game. He said when you get up three scores you milk the clock. Said they could have passed more but didn't need to. Like Woody Hayes said, "When you throw the ball one of three things happen and two of them are bad." Stoops thinks like Woody, but I don't think he has ever tackled an opposing player on the field.
You don’t think Stoops has ever made a tackle?

Reactions: Johnfarrel

Nearly tackled the officials as they tried to get off the field at halftime. I was hoping he'd drop at least one of em. Frkn criminals

Who is Levi’s?

Not while he was coaching. In the last game he coached, Woody came off the bench and punched a Clemson player in the throat while the game was going on.

Memorable event in the history of college football, but most here might be too young to remember it

Not while he was coaching. In the last game he coached, Woody came off the bench and punched a Clemson player in the throat while the game was going on.
I saw that on tv. Just lost it!

Do think Mark was influenced by Woody or at least from Woody influencing his dad.

Kinda wondered if Jim Tressel was an influence on Mark. Youngstown guy.

CM interviewed Tressel for UK but hired Hal. He also interviewed Bob Stoops. Both those 2 went on to Titles.

Cliff Hagan had Howard Schnellenberger hired and lost him.

So close at times

I saw that on tv. Just lost it!

Do think Mark was influenced by Woody or at least from Woody influencing his dad.

Kinda wondered if Jim Tressel was an influence on Mark. Youngstown guy.

CM interviewed Tressel for UK but hired Hal. He also interviewed Bob Stoops. Both those 2 went on to Titles.

Cliff Hagan had Howard Schnellenberger hired and lost him.

So close at times
Mark grew up in Big10 country when it was three yards and a cloud of dust. I think those guys influenced him .

I get that philosophy. I wouldn't mind 1 shot at the end zone to see what happens. I understand his philosophy is that and makes sense. I still think that some aggression can help. Of how our last few games have gone, I get why he did it this game. Also, wanted to point out that my original intention of the thread is just in general.

I'm not putting the season's worth of results up for debate with my post. THIS GAME..... UL could not stop the run, smart to keep running the ball. That was some of the best running game we've seen all year. Thanks Cards!

Reactions: NavyCat88
I'm not putting the season's worth of results up for debate with my post. THIS GAME..... UL could not stop the run, smart to keep running the ball. That was some of the best running game we've seen all year. Thanks Cards!
PLUS , I wanted to watch Crod run the damn ball . It’s possible this was his last game and I selfishly wanted to savor the sight of one of the top 2 or 3 running backs I’ve seen at the University of Kentucky.

Fran Curci + Bill Curry = Mark Stoops. BORING AVERAGE FOOTBALL
As a fan who saw them live, Fran Curci's Derrick Ramsey-led FB squads were far from boring or average.

Bill Curry--guilty as charged.

As for CMS: Stoops started in the right trajectory on offensive transformation with Coen. His only problem was he had a suboptimal hire with Scang and CMS' bread and butter (OL) took a huge step back....and then we doubled down limiting Levis' scrambling to extend plays and protect himself. End result, our new OC/OL scheme got us poor run-blocking, no pass blocking, and an injured QB.

We were boring this year because we didn't have the OL to be anything else. Put previous years' OLs on this team (and have C-Rod not brain-fart his first four games eligibility) and we would be a pretty tough out for all comers.

Disappointed but not surprised that much. Saban does the plug and play with new coordinators every year. Other coaches struggle with it a la CMS.

Now, let's get to work on that next OC hire, QB development/portal management, shore up ST, and rebound next year with some cracker-jack WRs and decent returning running backs.....and as always, bring that tough D.

GBB!

Last edited:
Reactions: sefus12
Much respect to you! I love seeing that you participate here. At 84 and a UK fan you have endured a lot. You are one tough SOB!
Thank you. I have been around for the lean years, but I listened, as an early teen, to the the Bear and the Babe by stringing FM antenna wire all over the house in Mexico, KY and I am around now in Huntsville, AL, as a retired physicist, to enjoy 10 win seasons and bowl games. Life is good.

Running clock late is reasonable. My concern is we show up to play entire games that way in a time where you have to have some aggressiveness offensively if you ever hope to take a step up from here. Even defensively, it’s a different time. Interesting discussion between commentators last week about defense saying that measuring defensive success in todays game isn’t to be done the same way it used to be. It’s more about turnovers, plays for loss, etc than what kind of yardage you give up. And to play conservative football and not put a premium on high level special teams is a travesty.

Kentucky may never become elite or win the SEC East. You watch Bama, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State ect, and they would probably throw the ball there instead of run the ball. Why would they throw the ball? To seal the win, remove hope from the other team and establish dominance. Wouldn't Coen throw there? He did last year I believe. I don't know why Stoops/Scran is so dang conservative sometimes. You watch Nick Saban who changes his philosophy and the guy has what, 7 championships? Something to consider.
Really don't know what it is with Stoops thinking. It's like it is just not good to have an explosive type offense.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT