ADVERTISEMENT

PJ forgot how to jump

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
Almost all of his numbers from the UK pro day went down at the combine, but his vertical numbers took an absolute nosedive. Standing vertical went from 35.5 to 27, and Max vertical went from 43 to 34. Were his legs just super tired?

However, though his measurables went down, he apparently had a good day at the scrimmage.

Almost all of his numbers from the UK pro day went down at the combine, but his vertical numbers took an absolute nosedive. Standing vertical went from 35.5 to 27, and Max vertical went from 43 to 34. Were his legs just super tired?

However, though his measurables went down, he apparently had a good day at the scrimmage.

He lost weight in between our combine and this one too. He lost like 15 pounds during camp cal I wanna say. He had to have been tired.

43" was hard to believe but so is 34 the other way IMO. I don't think being tired would make a 9" difference however.

I can't believe he had a 43" vertical, he always seemed to play below the rim except maybe a handful of times. Makes you wonder who's tracking the numbers at these combine, pro days.
Yeah, this. He was always getting blocked last year. Seems t

I don’t think he ever knew how to jump. Did his dad measure his vertical?

Reactions: UKWildcatT

In case you hadn't noticed, this has happened plenty times before where our guys do markedly worse at the NBA combine than the UK combine. It's kinda become an annual thing, yet each year we still have fans acting surprised by it.

I never believed PJ actually had a 43 inch vertical, as he's never shown that kind of explosiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianpoe and Jkwo
Cal, God love him, is so set on promoting his guys - I think he sets the vertical leap stick in a big hole in the ground.

I remember a few years back where we allegedly had like 8 guys on a roster with a 37"+ vertical. Maybe the 38-1 team.

Sure, Cal.

So, are we saying that UK misrepresents our guys' abilities?

I don't know, but the pattern kinda speak for itself. This has been happening year after since we started the UK combine--our guys post suspiciously high numbers at the UK combine, but then can't match it at the NBA combine.

As for the reason for it, make your own judgment. But I'd note the distinctly different motives of the folks running the two combines. The UK combine was created specifically to promote UK players, and thus there's a clear desire for UK players to have the best results possible. Whereas the NBA combine is run by folks merely trying to uncover the objective data and perhaps expose those who've been exaggerating their numbers. Given those differing motives, it's hardly shocking that our players do better at ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigjoecatfan56
I love PJ's demeanor and his game just thought he played below the rim and as year went on his footwork got a lot better.

Reactions: sambowieshin
UK inflates their combine verticals or at the least their measuring device sucks. Go look at players at the UK combine vs. later in the NBA combine. The verticals often drop by at least 2-3 inches and usually more.

Because he never had a 43 inch vertical. Anyone with eyes couldve told you that. I wasnt going to say 34. But he never looked like a 1% athlete which a 43 inch vertical is. He always looked average to me which was mid 30s. But if Bam "only" had a 39 or so, PJ wasnt a 40+. Despite measuring in taller than expected which helped, those numbers hurt. An average to below average NBA athlete at 6'8 is a tough sell. Come back, be a brute and prove that a 6'8 load can be a force.

Reactions: blubo
UK inflates their combine verticals or at the least their measuring device sucks. Go look at players at the UK combine vs. later in the NBA combine. The verticals often drop by at least 2-3 inches and usually more.

Usually theyre not bad but every year theres that 1 guy whos just way off. Dakari was off by almost 8 or 9 inches. Briscoe was said to be like 38 or 39. PJ this year.

Whereas guys like Hawkins, Mulder, Diallo and Monk are the real deal.

So everybody with the "UK inflates their numbers" conspiracy theory explain Hami losing 4" on his vertical from last years combine to this years? UK's pro day is witnessed by more than 40 scouts I think, so it would be hard to fudge the numbers there.

So everybody with the "UK inflates their numbers" conspiracy theory explain Hami losing 4" on his vertical from last years combine to this years? UK's pro day is witnessed by more than 40 scouts I think, so it would be hard to fudge the numbers there.
Any man that has more likes than actual messages can say whatever they want as far as I am concerned.

So everybody with the "UK inflates their numbers" conspiracy theory explain Hami losing 4" on his vertical from last years combine to this years?

This makes no sense. Hami posted a 44.5 inch vertical at the UK combine. He only posted a 40.5 inch vertical today at the NBA combine. So his numbers ALSO dropped from what he did at the UK combine. Hami's performance doesn't disprove the theory, instead it only reinforces it.

This makes no sense. Hami posted a 44.5 inch vertical at the UK combine. He only posted a 40.5 inch vertical today at the NBA combine. So his numbers ALSO dropped from what he did at the UK combine. Hami's performance doesn't disprove the theory, instead it only reinforces it.

Hes talking about last year at the NBA combine, not the UK combine. At the NBA combine he posted 44.5. So his point is valid.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...posts-a-bonkers-vertical-leap-at-nba-combine/

His numbers from the NBA combine last year would be hard for UK to fake...

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I knew the UK numbers were BS. Those UK numbers were like prime Dwight Howard stuff. PJ can’t even dream of having Howard’s athleticism.

I kind of disagree. He seemed to be able to dunk it whether he was going at the rim or simply going straight up pretty well. I’ve seen other guys need a step or else they couldn’t get off he floor, Dakari comes to mind even though he was bigger and a center. But I also agree that 43” is kind of hard to believe. I mean, I guess it should have been pretty accurate, but that’s a big drop and 43” is a damn good vertical especially for a guy his height and size.

PJ just on the local news, said if he goes 1st round he stays, second round he comes back, just like he and Cal discussed. It was an interview so who knows but it sounded good.

PJ could be a really good college player.

Unless he grows 3 inches and suddenly develops a 10 foot jump shot he’s never going to be an NBA player.

He def wont be growing any time soon lol, but with PJ's skills I believe he can definitely
improve his Jump shot. After all, he is only 19 years old and only been playing legit competitive basketball (something other than high school/AAU) for 9 months or so. Imo , but I could be wrong

In case you hadn't noticed, this has happened plenty times before where our guys do markedly worse at the NBA combine than the UK combine. It's kinda become an annual thing, yet each year we still have fans acting surprised by it.

I never believed PJ actually had a 43 inch vertical, as he's never shown that kind of explosiveness.

Sorry my life doesn't revolve around the NBA combine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT